Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2005 4:47:08 PM EDT
Why do none of the g3 kits come with these. Also what is the legality of them. I've heard legal rumors about them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Perfectly legal, but a pain to install.  Most of the builders charge over $100 plus the parts because the labor is a pain.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The hole used to install the paddle release is the same hole that makes the receiver a MG.  I understand that the ATF has relaxed their stance and allows installation by non-class 3 folks if the hole is drilled blind (not completely through) and then welded over.  Better check though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The paddle release makes all the difference in loading quickly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The hole used to install the paddle release is the same hole that makes the receiver a MG.  I understand that the ATF has relaxed their stance and allows installation by non-class 3 folks if the hole is drilled blind (not completely through) and then welded over.  Better check though.

That is my understanding also.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Any instilation sites?
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Any instilation sites?

Jayson at IGF can do it, as can Todd at ORF.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Very good link 007
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here is the link you want:
www.geocities.com/miketheelectrician1/paddlemag.html

perros site,,  i was gonna do this on my cetme,,but to much work,, and im to lazy,, the cast  recivers are better to it with,, the stamped ones,, have that damn steel block youd have to grind out for 3 hours,,to make it work...only reason i aint done it yet...
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the great info. I'll have to do a little checking on doing it legally. I am building a hk51 right now and thought it would be neat to have that on there!
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Check this out before you do the paddle install.
http://www.taclatch.com/default.asp
No mods need be made to the receiver and takes minutes to install. The release works from the left side instead of back to front, I like this better than the standard paddle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Post pic's if you do it!
The link shows how it is done by all of the well known smiths. The legality is covered by the lack of a hole for a pushpin. [sarcasm] Keeping us dangerous civilians from clipping on a burst lower and mowing down the masses [/sarcasm]
The sad thing is that the law makers have no idea how much is involved in a MG conversion; instead along with the F/A parts they targeted anything cosmetic that makes it look like the MG it mimics.
JMHO.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Esse,

Do you have one of those. Is it soild and dependable, and most important is it as easy to install as it says?

ASO
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#14]

The sad thing is that the law makers have no idea how much is involved in a MG conversion...

I think in this case they are very much aware of what is going on.  You do realize that once you put the paddle release hole in the receiver, all you have to do is purchase a FA trigger group, frame and carrier.  There might be a little dremeling to clean up the shelf area, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes you are right, But as you know HK sent all but the early G3 semi's with a welded over pushpin hole for the lower group. My explanation was stated towards the conversion side of the paddle mag release where as HK could have added it the same way we are talking about here without it becoming an easily converted MG. What congress or more so the ATF has decided is that even MG cosmetics are considered part of a MG conversion, and that is as poor an excuse as was the 94 ban using pistol grips and flash hiders to judge how crime was to be affected.
Cosmetics don't kill!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#16]
In that respect, I agree.  The paddle release parts could have been installed and welded over quite legally, prior to importation.  However, while we might do that with our rifles after the fact, I can understand why a factory would not want to install parts that can't be removed for service.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Agreed!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#18]
how the heck does a hole make the gun an smg?

my bw mp5k carbine has a paddle mag release and i'm guessing the hole doesn't go all the way through but if it did, is there something on the select fire model that attaches to it somehow?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
how the heck does a hole make the gun an smg?
It's just like an autosear hole.  If that hole is present, all you have to do is purchase a FA carrier and an original FA trigger pack.  Both items are readily available.  Because the conversion is so easy at that point, the hole is considered the boundary line.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Please what is ORF's web address & if send out for this mods do you send the whole firearm out or just the lower part?  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:
how the heck does a hole make the gun an smg?hole.

But you'd still have to have an auto sear for it to function in full-auto, right?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#22]
A full auto trigger pack would contain an auto sear.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:59:57 AM EDT
[#23]
and you need a FA bolt carrier,,all teh clones and i think the semi Hk's have that  a grove on  the BC that keeps the sears fromworkin,, but as said above,, it aint hard,, there is more to it that whats being talked about but  it aint worth the hassle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top