Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2002 6:23:18 AM EDT
I was recently asked to remove a firing pin from a P 38 that was donated to a local veterans museum.  I did a quick search, but can only find P38 Mustangs.  Since I am not into repairing old warbirds, I thought maybe you guys could point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a handy dandy P38 can opener. No firing pin though ;)
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Try searching under "Walther P 38"  One of the more useful sties (for disassembly) is:

www.marstar.ca/AssemblyWalther.htm

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, I think I can handle that.  Not quite a 1911, is it?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, it was P38 Lightning; Mustang was P51.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Gearhead- You're going to have more than a firing pin left as "spare parts" when you're done..The loaded chamber indicator, and the safetey plunger are retained by the firing pin..Yo may be able to lay the loaded chamber indicator in place when you pop the slide's top cover back on..Hopefully this is just for display, and not handling..It will rattle fiercely..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
It will be a "look but dont touch" piece.  They also had the option of grinding down the firing pin, but in an all original war trophy, I cringe at the thought.  Maybe pick up a spare pin at the show in Louisville this weekend and file it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I knew that about the friggin mustang too, what the hell was I thinking.  Brain fart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top