Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2005 12:15:42 PM EDT
Would like to know where to purchase such a fine rifle. Did some searches and came up empty. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Place a 'Want to Buy' add on Subguns, Sturmgewehr and, HKPRO.

.....and have your check book ready.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
last one I saw sold for $10,000....
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
There's one on www.gunsamerica.com right now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 2:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you just HAVE to have a PSG1, I wouldn't bother. They're freakin heavy, use a mediocre scope with limited mounting options for other optics, obtaining support/spare parts may be problematic in the future as HK is definately moving away from the roller-locked guns, and, according to HK, they are a 1 MOA rifle.

You can do much better than that for a fraction of the price with a custom bolt gun and more modern optics.

But if it's really what you want, go for it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for info, weighing options. More of a curiousity than a need.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for info, weighing options. More of a curiousity than a need.

Well, it's at minimum a $10,000 curiosity...as mentioned.

If you've got the funds, and your curiosity is more important that function & price, why not?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
There's always "cloning"     There are all different levels of "clone" and all different price ranges.

I have about $3000 in this one (including scope, trigger job, original rifle and all accessories)

Pricey, and not exact, but it will do this at 200 yds on a fricken' cold day with Aussie NATO:

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#8]
That's one sweet shootin' iron, don't mean to be ignorant, but could you tell me all about that weapon. We learn from asking questions and I am no different. Did you assemble yourself? What platform is that built on? All the usual questions. Thank-you for your time and info.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Is a "pimped" CETME! Just kidding, nice gun!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's always "cloning"     There are all different levels of "clone" and all different price ranges.

I have about $3000 in this one (including scope, trigger job, original rifle and all accessories)quote]

What barrel do you have and who did the install?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:08:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Ooh, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

The rifle above is a JDL PTR-91 that I purchased from Impact Guns - buying from Impact was a bad experience and I won't do it again.

It was in the lower serial number range, the buffer was non-functional and at 50 yds, the best it would do was about a 5 inch group at 50 yds - and I had to aim about a foot to the right of the target because the sights were so far off they couldn't be adjusted anymore.    Some guys had good luck with these rifles,  others...well,  they had luck like mine.  

But I don't give in easily, so...

The barrel was a JLD 24" heavy barrel that I purchased from Recon Ordnance.   I think these are all sold out.  I talked to JLD and they said that they only made a small run of these due to lack of interest.     It's not as heavy as an actual PSG-1 barrel, nor as long of course,  but it is longer and heavier than the typical HK-91 and clone barrels.  

I sent it to SRT arms (the suppressor mfgr.) to have it cut down and threaded.   I wish I had left it about 2" longer (22 inches) but he talked me into cutting it to 20"   The flash suppressor is a smith vortex in 5/8 X 24  

It was mounted by Pat at Pat's Custom Firearms.  He does decent work and doesn't take too long.
I knew nothing about these rifles when starting this project.   The barrel needs to be  mounted by pressing it into the reciever and drilling/pinning.   Then it is test fired and the bolt gap needs to be checked to verify it is within spec because the barrel will settle in a little.  

Once I got the rifle back, I sent the trigger group to Williams Trigger Specialties and had it modified to a "set" trigger.   Basically the pull is lightened to about 5 lbs with a "set" position that lowers it even further to about 3 lbs.

The stock is an actual H&K psg-1 stock.  These are pricey and difficult to find.  

The grip is a custom order Ambidextrous ergo grip from Falcon

A.R.M.S. scope mount

IOR Valdada Rings

IOR Valdada 2.5-10 X 42 Illuminated stadia line scope.  

I have a wide handguard on order for it and a new bolt-head/locking piece,  as I think some of my severe recoil issues and brass getting almost ripped apart are due to an inferior quality bolt/locking piece - just a guess.  That stuff is on order from Top Notch.   I wish I had ordered from someone else, they flat out lied to me about shipping time.  But that's nothing new for them from what I hear.  

There are very few reliable, honest businessmen in the HK world unfortunately,  from what I've seen, almost all of them run a scam from time to time.   You just have to do your homework, resist being impulsive and be willing to be extra patient to make sure you are getting the best quality.

There's more about this rifle at my website:  www.artifex.ws/ptr.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all your time and info. That's one fantastic rifle! I'll be sure to take my time, I've decided to do a custom build when the time comes. Right now I'm waiting for my AR-50 , ordered from the LGS. Not to change the subject but can someone tell me how to post pics? Thaks a million!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you Artifex for all the info.  I am going to save it for when the RF 91 receivers come out and try to build one like yours.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Also check out HK91.com,  there is a guy over there now working on clones of the PSG-1 stocks.  They're starting to look pretty good.  He hasn't got the adjustment hardware down pat yet, but I bet it won't take him long.   If he can offer these for less that $600 (about the cheapest price you can find on an authentic PSG-1 stock) these will be worth serious consideration.  

On the same thread over there,  there is another guy talking to a machinist about EDM fluting barrel chambers,  so maybe,  we'll have a source to send our Krieger and Douglass blanks to to get turned into PSG-1 barrels.     The only source for these currently (apart from Joeken - who doesn't have the best reputation) is Murray urbach (who has the BEST reputation,  but also the highest prices - $800 a barrel when available!)

Make sure whoever you have build up your ORF reciever for you is knowledgeable though.   The trunnion is of utmost importance,  if it is slightly misaligned, you can look forward to nothing but trouble (heavy recoil,  innacuracy, uneven wear, etc...)  Rumor has it that several PTR-91's suffered from this problem at first, but when I talked to Vic at JLD, he categorically denied that this had ever been a problem with PTR-91's.  

Top Top