BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Any idea where in the menu you can find the delay option? I don't remember seeing that when going thru the user manual.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure it's not set to delay, to be honest, I forget exactly what the "factory default" settings are when delivered, but IIRC it's set with the delay on. (You can also adjust duration of delay).

The "idea" is that the delay allows you to assess the NV-only view and take in details before presenting the thermal signature to "highlight" heat signatures.

This is not the worst thing for static observation or scanning open terrain, but it's counterproductive to the kind of fast-moving, complex terrain environments that fusion really shines in.

I have always disabled it, and while all thermals will have a minute lag, I never personally found it problematic with the COTI when the delay was turned off. With it on, it can get pretty disorienting IMHO.

~Augee

Any idea where in the menu you can find the delay option? I don't remember seeing that when going thru the user manual.
From reading the manual from my unit i got today that sounds like the pulse option.

manual says it is used to differeniate between a true thermal signature and a brighter i2 image.

eta: this thing is sick.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quite possibly a dumb question: with goggles do most of you place the COTI over your dominant or non-dominant eye? My thought is that it might interfere with passive aiming if used over the dominant eye, but very open to input.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, looking at the manual, the 'pulse' is off by default, so that's probably not it.  

I wanted to run my dummy cord through the other hole across from where the battery cap is lashed.  My type II paracord didn't want to fit through, so I ended up tying it around the nub on the battery cap itself.  I clipped it to the 14 right next to where I clip the 14 to my helmet.  I went to the trail head to get gear up and dialed in.  You don't need very much gain power at all through the COTI to get a useful image outdoors, which was a welcome find.

After all that, I went for a walk.  This evening was around 80F and 82% humidity.  About 20 mins on the trail I came across a bedded down doe.  Never in a million years would I have spotting her without some sort of thermal.  It was through foliage, and even when I stopped and added some IR light, I didn't see squat with the i2.  Now that I'm back home, I wish I would have brought my thermal scope out to compare the differences in images.  Either way, the doe was in a spot I would not have suspected her to bed, so I might have missed her on a stop and scan with a hand held thermal.  I've walked this trail before, and it was noticeably faster without the stops to whip out the thermal, power it on, and do a 360.   Overall, pretty damn impressed with the COTI.  

Its not heavy, but man your neck notices how far out that guy is after 30 minutes or so.  Not too bad, but I might have to bump up the counterweight.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it normal to have to turn the brightness up quite a bit to even get an overlay? I have to rotate the knob to almost 6 oclock just to get the overlay to show up..and then the image is very full of thermal noise. My nvd gain isnt up that high either.

also, what is the indicator light that I have circled? It appears to be a fat cross sign with lines around it. it blinks at a regular interval. does this indicate auto brightness?, running on batt power?

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#7]
That is telling you that is over optimum brightness on the coti.

Should not damage anything, but that is what the manual says.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Augee and all for advice on placement!
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help. I had a feeling that I had it way too high.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Got this idea from a poster in the GD nightvision thread. I wish I could remember who it was so I could say thanks.

I stilled wanted to run a sacrifiical lense in front the coti. The stock rubberized lense and my matbock wont fit.  He recommended this 30mm screw in filter. here. looks to be made in usa.

works well i havent noticed any real degradation of light input.
   SEEE POST below. You have some adjustment but not to full infinity. I posted this before I played with it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Got this idea from a poster in the GD nightvision thread. I wish I could remember who it was so I could say thanks.

I stilled wanted to run a sacrifiical lense in front the coti. The stock rubberized lense and my matbock wont fit.  He recommended this 30mm screw in filter. here. looks to be made in usa.

works well i havent noticed any real degradation of light input.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435747/20200904_125316-1576597.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435747/20200904_125352-1576599.jpg

View Quote

@ThisWildAdventure
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#13]
sooo after testing. u still dont have the full adjustment range of the 14 obj lense w the screw in filter. fml

more testing to follow
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I use LIF filters as lens protection on my pvs14. Seems to work with coti and give full adjustment. I don’t know if will create issue of it bring too dark. Does help with laser bloom a bit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got one brand new from Eurooptic.  Played with it for one night and this just isn't my thing.  If anyone wants, lmk.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a way to try to center the image more centrally or is just the way it is?  Its not bad just not perfectly centered.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anybody had problems with euro optic? I tried to place an order with them. I got the "problem processing" message and my card got restricted. I called my card company and got it fixed. The woman stayed on the line with me while I tried to place the order again. Same message. This time, the card got locked down so hard that even she couldn't unlock it. Now I've got to go through some other indepth process to prove I am who I say I am. DL has been submitted to the card company. Hopefully they don't take to long. This is my only credit card and I live a long way from anything. I'll need it next time I go to town. I had read from others that euro optic is good to go. I'm concerned now though. Anybody else had problems?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has anybody had problems with euro optic? I tried to place an order with them. I got the "problem processing" message and my card got restricted. I called my card company and got it fixed. The woman stayed on the line with me while I tried to place the order again. Same message. This time, the card got locked down so hard that even she couldn't unlock it. Now I've got to go through some other indepth process to prove I am who I say I am. DL has been submitted to the card company. Hopefully they don't take to long. This is my only credit card and I live a long way from anything. I'll need it next time I go to town. I had read from others that euro optic is good to go. I'm concerned now though. Anybody else had problems?
View Quote

They are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've had no issues with them.

Edit: Other than they take too much of my money.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Couldn't take it any longer - just placed my order with JRH to supplement the BNVD-SG I just received last week.  

Now I need to find a second one for backup/buddy kit for MUM-14.  Anyone not happy with COTI, PM me if you would be interested in swapping for a FLIR Breach that is LNIB (purchased in August).
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Finally got mine

Lol its nuts I can leave my hand on the desk and then remove it

Turn this thing on and there is my handprint clear as day
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#22]
So whats the deal with the accessory/usb cord? Are they available for purchase?

Just curious how much that would be to get the videos and images off of this thing(atleast the manual mentions that some are able to do that)
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Who has the best price on these?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Finally got mine

Lol its nuts I can leave my hand on the desk and then remove it

Turn this thing on and there is my handprint clear as day
View Quote
Try going into the bathroom and running the hot water in the tub. Its crazy watching it swirl around in the tub, really cool.

Not sure how much I may use this, but its fucking cool and cant beat the clearance price on these things. Kind of janky to see some places still selling them at 4995 rather than 3k.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Try going into the bathroom and running the hot water in the tub. Its crazy watching it swirl around in the tub, really cool.

Not sure how much I may use this, but its fucking cool and cant beat the clearance price on these things. Kind of janky to see some places still selling them at 4995 rather than 3k.
View Quote

I already pissed in the toilet while looking through the tiny ass eye piece

This was the "lol yep worth it" moment for me

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Got mine from JRH. Couldnt be happier. Also had the MUM mount in with the COTI. There was some concern it would be shipped separately. Huge thanks to JRH for the legwork on finding and getting the mum mount for me, I definitely needed THAT specific mount.

Super cool. Excited to get this thing out and really try it out. My only gripe is the COTI needs to be mounted upside down in order to fit on the MUM, but thats not really anyones fault and rather just a design issue of the MUM mount. Or....Its an excuse to get a nice new thin filmed PVS14....
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#29]
It took me exactly 30 minutes to wonder if I had wasted my cash or not.

Every animal I saw tonight I would not have without the coti. Its simply amazing from my limited use.

Very cool piece of kit. Ill get some video up I took later

Big huge thanks to JRH. Very glad I was able to get in on his deal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Now with not so fancy video! Just holding my cell phone up here so not at all ideal but you get the idea. Mostly high ambient light here, so the NV looks top notch but this ole girl definitely still holds her own even against the new shit. (TNVC was selling best of the best even a decade ago... ). Just a quick sample here, didnt get out and really try it out but first impressions are while I continue to believe I wont use this very often, when I do its going to be a "force multiplier" to whatever I need to do.

My daughter coming back from Burger King.

Taking my dag out in the back yard.

Lets play spot the dag.....

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is there a way to try to center the image more centrally or is just the way it is?  Its not bad just not perfectly centered.
View Quote
you can adjust it in the settings.  i dont have my manual handy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just curious how much that would be to get the videos and images off of this thing(atleast the manual mentions that some are able to do that
View Quote
interested in this too.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
interested in this too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious how much that would be to get the videos and images off of this thing(atleast the manual mentions that some are able to do that
interested in this too.

Also interested in this and remote power cord options.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I used outline mode the most.

It seemed to catch the most while still leaving the scene mostly uncluttered for me.

It was really dark last night. I couldnt even see my hand out in front of me in the woods

Very neat and it has proved its worth quite quickly. I never would have seen any of these deer since they werent moving around

I also saw something huge crawling on a tree. It sort of looked like a huge spider. The more I think about it the more I wonder if it was a squirrel though. Kinda freaked me out

Last video the deer is ~150 yards out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#35]
On the front of the unit, whats the little sensor thing above the primary germanium lens?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
On the front of the unit, whats the little sensor thing above the primary germanium lens?
View Quote

Seems to have to do with automatic brightness control
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Now with not so fancy video! Just holding my cell phone up here so not at all ideal but you get the idea. Mostly high ambient light here, so the NV looks top notch but this ole girl definitely still holds her own even against the new shit. (TNVC was selling best of the best even a decade ago... ). Just a quick sample here, didnt get out and really try it out but first impressions are while I continue to believe I wont use this very often, when I do its going to be a "force multiplier" to whatever I need to do.

https://i.imgur.com/z7uF5Fz.jpg?1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffftxnk863I

https://i.imgur.com/0L3zJlQ.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/V6RNhWf.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/D41OyNA.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiwrqw58HDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ZAtuh8zTk
View Quote

Thats pretty awesome! Ordered one from Robert today, excited to try it out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got my tracking number from JRH. Can’t wait until it arrives.

Apologies to @Lowdown3. I’m the asshole that called you at 10pm one night. Bourbon makes me forget how time zones work!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I used outline mode the most.

It seemed to catch the most while still leaving the scene mostly uncluttered for me.

It was really dark last night. I couldnt even see my hand out in front of me in the woods

Very neat and it has proved its worth quite quickly. I never would have seen any of these deer since they werent moving around

I also saw something huge crawling on a tree. It sort of looked like a huge spider. The more I think about it the more I wonder if it was a squirrel though. Kinda freaked me out

Last video the deer is ~150 yards out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5BHLik1P1Y
View Quote
@chase45  

in your vid you see the blinking sun in the upper right portion of the overlay? you (maybe purposefully) have the  brightness up too high. seee my learning that occured several posts above. What I was doing was turning the brightness up too much to try to get an overlay against the high heat (92) plus decent amount of ambient light + high humidity.  I learned that you have to adjust the brightness as you go to adjust to the ambient light environment and to a lesser extent concrete, etc. things that give off environmental heat. In your vid you see how you can see the tree heat from across the field? imo its up too high. I was seeing the rooflines of houses in my neighborhood from 6 700 yards away. Everything looked like tron lol.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#42]
@HKocher

Any way of renaming this thread to a main COTI knowledge thread? Lots of good info in here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
you can adjust it in the settings.  i dont have my manual handy.
View Quote

I never figured that part out.  Figured out how to align the thermal overlay to what you were looking at but never saw an option to center the main "circle".
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Used the coti pig hunting for a few days. What an amazing piece of gear. For my use, I left the unit on most of the time hunting so the battery pack came in handy. Probably 4-6 hours of use over three nights.

The coti was easily detecting deer at 300 yards. I think a higher mag thermal momocular is pretty much mandatory once detecting the heat spot. Basically coti is king of detection but lacks any ID.

Stumbled onto a sounder 100 yrds away I would have completely missed without the coti. It also saved so much time versus stopping, scanning, moving on. The ability to be constantly on the move meant five dead piggies with only a few hours of actual work. For $3k I feel like it was a steal considering the utility of the device.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I never figured that part out.  Figured out how to align the thermal overlay to what you were looking at but never saw an option to center the main "circle".
View Quote

You mean get the images to line up between thermal and I2 image better? Mine is close enough to center but I would like to adjust it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You mean get the images to line up between thermal and I2 image better? Mine is close enough to center but I would like to adjust it.
View Quote

Shimmy shim in the direction needed is probably the only way to physically move it more center. With the adjustable mounting clip this should be pretty easy to move it a little over here or there to line it up better

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:Stumbled onto a sounder 100 yrds away I would have completely missed without the coti. It also saved so much time versus stopping, scanning, moving on. The ability to be constantly on the move meant five dead piggies with only a few hours of actual work. For $3k I feel like it was a steal considering the utility of the device.
View Quote

Now imagine having a 640 core on your face .

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/z7uF5Fz.jpg?1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffftxnk863I

https://i.imgur.com/0L3zJlQ.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/V6RNhWf.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/D41OyNA.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiwrqw58HDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ZAtuh8zTk
View Quote

turn down your brightness so you dont see that center circle. youll hurt your tube if you leave the coti cranked up like that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Now imagine having a 640 core on your face .

https://i.imgur.com/n45oC7eh.jpg
View Quote

Nahh. I would have to spend close to $5k to get a working setup. And its still not fusion. Jealous though!
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top