Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 2:11:54 PM EDT

Got a good deal on a M99 package. Includes the rifle, Bushnell scope, rings, bi-pod, Pelican case, and 80 rounds of Barrett ammo, all new in the box. To say I'm stoked would be a minor understatement. Only drawback is it's coming from Washington state and won't be here til the 27th or so.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations!

You'll really enjoy that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
There is always Next Day Air

Congrats
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Got a good deal on a M99 package. Includes the rifle, Bushnell scope, rings, bi-pod, Pelican case, and 80 rounds of Barrett ammo, all new in the box. To say I'm stoked would be a minor understatement. Only drawback is it's coming from Washington state and won't be here til the 27th or so.

Did you buy it from a gun shop?  Ben's Loan maybe?  I thought I remember seeing an M99 for sale there.  It wasn't that great a deal in the shop though....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is always Next Day Air

Congrats

Don't I know-- I didn't want to push it with the wife though, she's been way too cool about this as is. (Kinda makes me wonder what she has planned for a "rebuttal gift".)

Quoted:
Did you buy it from a gun shop? Ben's Loan maybe? I thought I remember seeing an M99 for sale there. It wasn't that great a deal in the shop though....

I bought it from Discount Gun Sales in Kirkland. It was a good deal, but I didn't steal it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the same thing, but with a Luppy scope and 160 rnds of ammo

$3795.00 with tax...Is that what you paid
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got the same thing, but with a Luppy scope and 160 rnds of ammo

$3795.00 with tax...Is that what you paid

I paid $3549 + $100 for shipping. How much was the extra ammo, was it part of the package you got or did you add it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!

Quoted:

I bought it from Discount Gun Sales in Kirkland. It was a good deal, but I didn't steal it.

Curious though, how did you find a deal from those guys all the way back in NC...........

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow you will be having big bore fun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Another great day in America!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Congrats!

Curious though, how did you find a deal from those guys all the way back in NC...........

I was looking on Gunbroker at one of their listings, saw the link to their website and the rest is history...at least the 3600 bucks is.

Quick question for you guys...is the Barrett ammo that much better than the less expensive stuff (Talon ball ammo) on Ammoman? More accurate, cleaner burning, etc...?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#11]
got my package from triggerfinn for 3400.00 very good deal
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#12]

I paid $3549 + $100 for shipping. How much was the extra ammo, was it part of the package you got or did you add it?

Part of the deal.....Also I guess with a Lupy Long Range and Badger rings it's a little more money.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Motor, where are you in NC?  I am going to get to shoot my new 50 (AR-50) for the first time tomorrow. I have had it for about 2 weeks, but haven't had time to shoot.  I am in the G'boro area.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey Motor, where are you in NC?  I am going to get to shoot my new 50 (AR-50) for the first time tomorrow. I have had it for about 2 weeks, but haven't had time to shoot.  I am in the G'boro area.  

I live in Durham, but will be heading back to NOLA tomorrow for another couple of months. I should be back in Feb (for a while?), and we'll have to get together and do some shooting.

edpmedic- congrats on your deal, I will most likely replace the Bushnell with a Leupold at some point...Depends on how it holds up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quick question for you guys...is the Barrett ammo that much better than the less expensive stuff (Talon ball ammo) on Ammoman? More accurate, cleaner burning, etc...?

50BMG ammo can be reloaded with pulled bullets, used brass, and surplus powder for a bit over $1 per round.  If you were to used meticulously prepared new brass, new production match grade bullets, and new powder you can easily have $5 and more into the components alone.

To get into handloading 50BMG you can get the simplest basic stuff for under $200 or if long range precision is your passion, match grade tools in 50BMG (dies, press, trimmer, etc) will set you back well over $1,000 to several times this amount.

Barrett 50 ammo is good safe ammo made with current components.  If you shoot an out of round pulled bullet it will never give better than mediocre accuracy, it may cause higher pressure which could damage your rifle or even your face which is only inches away!   How bad do you want to save money?  Enough to risk your hands and face?  Or just enough to risk that new $3000 rifle?

I decided to handload 50BMG so that I can make inexpensive SAFE ammo to plink with and superbly accurate ammo tuned to MY rifle for competition at 1000 yards.   How else can a guy afford to shoot enough to get good?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#16]
CDNN has a similar deal.  $36XX and on the front cover of their latest catalog, IIRC.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#17]
So............It's supossed to be here tomorrow. By "here", I mean Durham, NC.

This is the tracking summary.....

Dec 19, 2005 3:30 A.M.
UNION GAP, WA, US OUT FOR DELIVERY  
Dec 17, 2005 2:20 A.M.
UNION GAP, WA, US ARRIVAL SCAN  
Dec 16, 2005
9:51 P.M. REDMOND, WA, US DEPARTURE SCAN  
7:25 P.M.    REDMOND, WA, US    ORIGIN SCAN  
5:07 P.M.    US    BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED  
2:38 P.M.    REDMOND, WA, US    PICKUP SCAN  

Why was my Barrett "out for delivery" in freakin' Union Gap WA on the 19th, when it's supossed to be in NC tomorrow?

I've typically had good luck with UPS.....this is a little unnerving. What's even more unnerving is the UPS guy on the phone saying "I'm not sure what's going on Mr. Kennedy, I've never seen this happen before. It should still be there tomorrow, but I'll have the Union Gap center call you and straighten this out."

But under "status" it still says "in transit".......

I'm none too impressed right now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:40:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I know that has to be depressing and frustrating.

Try and look on the bright side, it is yours and it is on the way. It may be a little later than thought, but better late than never.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#19]
UPS = U PEOPLE SUCK.

I have had way better luck with FedEx Ground.
Call UPS or have the seller call UPS and find out what the hell is going on.
There is no way I would let UPS or any of them have my Barrett for more then 3 days.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey Motor05, either Homeland Security got hold of it and put a tracking device in it.

Or

UPS got hold of it and did some target shooting noy they are cleaning it up to look new again.

Im going to the FFL today and look at mine. If I could increase my credit on his store card I am taking it home with me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Update....

After spending a couple of hours on the phone with UPS today, they assure me it's now in NC and will be at my FFL tomorrow. Hopefully they aren't jerking me around...as I said, I've typically had good luck with them and have no reason to doubt it will be here.

CavVet-- thanks for the words of encouragement, I appreciate it.

edpmedic-- hope it works out and you get to bring yours home...come to think of it, I hope my FFL is open tomorrow and I can bring mine home. Great, another potential wrench in the masterplan.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I had the same problem with UPS.  Ordered an upper from Eagle in Colorado, and it made it as far as Tennessee, then it went to Boston MA.  Added about 4 days on to delivery in NC. Only good thing was it wasn't destroyed by the UPS monkeys....

I spoke to the most ignorant UPS lady they must have had who gave me the excuse that was the way the truck was going.

Hope everything works out for you tomorrow....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]
WOO--HOO!!!!

After all the drama (to me) with UPS, I just picked it up at my FFL.
Now.....I.....must.....shoot.....it.....

Only problem is, it won't fit in the safe. Good excuse for a new one!!

Enjoy the pics, just like every other Barrett M99 out there....with the exception that this one belongs to me.....This is my .50 cal, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]
[drool]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I GOT MINE TODAY ALSO

Will take pictures when the wife isn't around......

I als stand corrected in the ammo count. It is only 60 rounds and he doesn't have the ammo yet.

Did you get ammo with your's or were you told backordered?

After the New Year I am going to call Barrett and see how long since my FFL could not give me a time line on it.

Hey Motor05 what is in the case that says BARRETT on it, next to the cleaning kit?

All I have is a foam block in there. I guess that where the Mag is suppose to go.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#26]
God I hate that donkey dick brake. It takes out a bunch of recoil, but it is uuuuuuuugly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#27]

God I hate that donkey dick brake. It takes out a bunch of recoil, but it is uuuuuuuugly.

No worse then a AR50 or AR30...ut they doooooooo work like you said.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#28]
epdmedic, congrats on getting your gun man!! The ammo came with mine, I got eight, 10 rnd boxes with it. That's what's in the picture incidentally, I thought maybe the cut-out was for an ammo box, but they are a little too big and don't quite fit.

Oh, and I was also wrong....it will  fit in the safe. I guess I'll have to fill it up to get a new one.

50cal, I guess it's 'cause I'm a newb to .50's....but I kinda like the muzzle brake. (Although, the Serbu brake is very, very kewl.)

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I got to make room in my safe. I don't know where to fit it. I might have to sell a couple of AR's to make room or buy another safe.

Here is mine.......

You see the Maxium Range in the manual...7,435yds....
What scope do I need for that....LOL
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#31]
This is were it all starts at.
First the bolt gun then the 82A1.
"Feel the rush."
Buy lots of Ammo or set up to do your owne reloading. Get the Lee kit. I have loaded as of now over 600 rounds with mine.
Get the Giraud Trimmer  trimmer. You can do 50BMG + many other cases. Well worth the money.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#32]
edpmedic, that fluted barrell is freakin' sweet, very nice man!

If it matters, I vote you buy another safe. Don't sell any guns, you'll regret it later.
I was checking out the max range in the manual also...I definitely see a Leupold or Nightforce variable scope in my future.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Congrats!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Motor05,
Don't stand your rifle on the recoil pad. The weight of the rifle will deform the pad and eventually cause it to tear. We replaced a bunch of them while I worked at Barrett. It is better to remove the recoil pad for storage. Pretty sure it was a 5/32" allen wrench to remove the pad. When you re-install it, just snug down the screw, it doesn't need to be tight. The buttplate is hard annodized like the receiver tube and receiver. Once you pull the threads it will leave the soft aluminum exposed and you'll never get threads to hold.

If you guys with 82A1's read this, if you stand the rifle in a vault, stand the lower receiver on its nose. Just pin the carrier to the rear and stand the receiver on its front end. It won't hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey 50cal..

Two Questions.

My takedown pins didn't come with the ring to pull them off is that normal. Manual shows different ones.

Is a Fluted barrel special made has a match barrel or are they all the same.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Hey 50cal..

Two Questions.

My takedown pins didn't come with the ring to pull them off is that normal. Manual shows different ones.

Is a Fluted barrel special made has a match barrel or are they all the same.

If you have the newer 99's, the takedown pins are flush fit to the receiver. It is to keep someone from hanging up the loop and pulling a pin when the rifle is loaded. If you pull on of the pins while the rifle is loaded, even if it's on safe, it will fire. That is a known flaw to the 99's. So be careful.
One of the rear pins isn't as dangerous because there are 2 to keep the trigger housing in place. The front lock pin is a different story. If the rifle is cocked and ready to fire, even "on safe" and you pull out the front lock pin, it will fire.

The 99-1 is the 29" fluted barrel model. The 99 is the heavy 33" barreled version. It is the same barrel, just turned to a different outside contour.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks....I shot that baby today and my head is killing me.....

I shot it indoors through a tunnel and the concussion was unreal....It felt like it sucked all the air out of the room. All I can say once I got it sighted in on the 3rd round. I was shooting clover leaf holes at 100yds. Only able to stand 10 rounds and I really needed a rear bag which I will have next time.

I shot one and cleaned for the 10 shots and used this stuff called Gun Juice in the barrel. You think this is the right way to break in. Or is this over kill cleaning like that. I was going to do another 10 one at a time and clean. Then move to 5 shoot and clean for another 20 rounds. Then 10 shoot and clean for another 20. After that I figure it should be ok...

To much cleaning or right way to do it....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#38]
one day....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Good way to go about cleaning it. If it has the Federson barrel in it, you won't have to clean it that much. He diamond paste laps the barrels after rifling them. They are slick as hell.
The cut rifled Krieger barrels need a bit of a break in.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Thanks....I shot that baby today and my head is killing me.....

I shot it indoors through a tunnel and the concussion was unreal....It felt like it sucked all the air out of the room. All I can say once I got it sighted in on the 3rd round. I was shooting clover leaf holes at 100yds. Only able to stand 10 rounds and I really needed a rear bag which I will have next time....

edpmedic, congrats, I shot mine today as well. My head is fine, but I wore squishies AND head phone type hearing protection. Also, I was shooting outdoors. The muzzle blast was unreal outside, I can't imagine what it was like indoors. I went to my old police range and let a few friends shoot it also, it was big fun.
It's funny, I also took my varmint AR and shot it some after shooting the Barrett, and it just was not the same...I only put about 20 rounds through it and packed it up. And got the Barrett out again
My only complaint is...WHY DID I WAIT SO FREAKIN' LONG TO GET ONE OF THESE THINGS?!?!?!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Yea shooting indoors is not the way to go. There are a couple of people that own 50's and shoot indoors where I am. I don't know what kind they have, but I know they have to be crazy if they do it on a regular basis.

I did have plugs in my ears and phones on my head. It wasn't the noise but the blast and concussion that was a bitch. I need to shoothis baby outside. Congrats on yours also. I was told that 27 of these 99's were sold by the FFL I bought it from. Thats alot of 50's out there now and I know Ronnie is very happy....
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top