Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2012 10:28:29 PM EDT
i like the look of the SPRs that some of the marines use and last year while in afghan handled one, didn't shoot it but got to look at it in person.
they use the model 12 can correct?

other question is after looking at their site i can't tell which one is supposed to be quietest, which one is?  don't care about size, weight ect ect just tested sound reduction.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
3, 12, 16, 15, 14, M4M, M4S.

From quietest to least quiet. From 3rd to 14th the data I've seen shows a 1.5 Db difference between each model. 3 is the least difference you can hear. The 16th is said to indistinguishable from the 12th, and the 15th from the 14th or 16th.

I think the 16th makes the most sense because it shares a mount with everything other than the 3rd and 12th.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:42:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think the 16th makes the most sense because it shares a mount with everything other than the 3rd and 12th.

Right on, the 16th is the one to get unless you are wanting to build an mk12 spr clone.  I have all of them except the 3rd model.  I cannot tell a difference between the 12th and 16th.  The 15th, 14th, M4M all sound the same to me.  I can definitely tell a difference between the 12th/16th models and the others, get the 16th.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I would definitely go with the 16th/15th/14th.
The 12th model is sweet, but the mount is different so its not compatible with other OPS cans. (should you ever want to get a smaller/shorter can)
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would definitely go with the 16th/15th/14th.
The 12th model is sweet, but the mount is different so its not compatible with other OPS cans. (should you ever want to get a smaller/shorter can)

it would be set up just for one of my guns and in an SPR more or less.  i just want the one that preforms the best, weight and size aren't an issue

so the 12 is bigger and louder?
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
The only thing quieter than a 12th is a 3rd.

I think you're making a mistake if you prefer Db reduction to other factors. On an AR, no can is truly hearing safe. You'd be better off with at least the ability to use a smaller can in the future.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#6]
12th is bigger but is most awesome.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
My 16th, on two different guns.  Love it, but looking to get a M4M for the SBR.

SPR

SBR
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Do what I did, and get the M4S and the 16th can.  That way you have both extremes.  EXCELLENT cans IMO.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Bingo. Then add an M4M. And use the s as a thread protector.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the 12th model on my SPR Mk12 mod0 clone.  It is AWESOME.  That said, if I wasn't building a CLONE (choice is already made for you), I'd look at the 16th model.  I understand it basically has the same internals except the distance between the threads on the inside and the rear of the can is slightly shorter, meaning that the distance between the muzzle brake and collar on the barrel is also shorter.  It doesn't make a difference to the sound suppression.  The mount for the 16th model is the same as the 15th, 14th, M4M and M4S, I believe.  That's why I'd go with the 16th model.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#11]
does anyone have some pics of the 12 and 16 side by side and the rifle mounts side by side on the gun?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
The ops cans have a real nice tone.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
does anyone have some pics of the 12 and 16 side by side and the rifle mounts side by side on the gun?

I don't have pics of the mounting systems but here is a pic of some of the Ops cans.

From Left to Right: 12th, 16th, 15th, 14th, M4S

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Ive heard a 12th fired on a 16'' ar.

Spooky quiet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my 12th model. It bounces between my 18" and my 12.5" and makes the former hearing safe, or very close at least.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 12th in .30 on a 6.5 and a 556 upper. I'd be surprised if its not hearing safe and the tone is fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:11:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I love my 12th model. It bounces between my 18" and my 12.5" and makes the former hearing safe, or very close at least.

Hey are you anywhere near Waterbury CT?  Myself and a few buddy's are gonna have a shot this weekend, I'd love to get some hands on and trigger time with an Ops Inc can.  One guy has an SPR type clone.  We are going to be testing out some loads and zeroing on paper, pretty much a small silencer shoot so we don't piss off too many neighbors.  
IM or Email me if you can make it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know anything about the company really... But I shame them for their absolutely horrible naming conventions. They also don't look like much on the outside of the can. Nevermind.... Just looked at their website.... "Note: dB will be close or less than 40 dB" for their fullsize AND their mini cans.... BULLSHIT. Also, every can on there is VERY HEAVY.... 31oz for a 30cal can? Nooooope.

Also, anyone that says "I just care about sound reduction, not size or weight", imo, does not own a rifle can, has never used/shot/lugged around a rifle can, and eventually will regret not considering size and weight.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Calm down dude...Ops has some legit stuff. Don't be a hater unless you have heard one or personally looked at one.

Quoted:
I don't know anything about the company really... But I shame them for their absolutely horrible naming conventions. They also don't look like much on the outside of the can. Nevermind.... Just looked at their website.... "Note: dB will be close or less than 40 dB" for their fullsize AND their mini cans.... BULLSHIT. Also, every can on there is VERY HEAVY.... 31oz for a 30cal can? Nooooope.

Also, anyone that says "I just care about sound reduction, not size or weight", imo, does not own a rifle can, has never used/shot/lugged around a rifle can, and eventually will regret not considering size and weight.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#20]
OPS db reduction figures are from measurements taken 96 feet down range. AAC claims up to a 36db reduction 1m left of the muzzle so 40db shouldn't cause you to become enraged.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OPS db reduction figures are from measurements taken 96 feet down range. AAC claims up to a 36db reduction 1m left of the muzzle so 40db shouldn't cause you to become enraged.

No, but taking measurements 96 feet downrange does.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hahaha uhh ok.  
I'm not carrying the around afghan for 7 months straight or something.  I already have a Smith Ent can on my SAGE EMR-39 type M-14 that's like 4lb.  I carry the gun from the car/jeep to where I shoot from.  
Now how heavy the can is I see can make a difference in POI shift but since these are toys only sound reduction and looks matter.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a military perspective it makes a lot of sense actually.

Let me put it this way. An OPS can is as quiet as anything else and quieter than most. Period.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a military perspective it makes a lot of sense actually.

Let me put it this way. An OPS can is as quiet as anything else and quieter than most. Period.

surprised i never though of that, from an actual employment of said guns with said suppressors the sound at the target is the most important.  ehh in the end i just like the look of the SPR rifle and the Ops can.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:An OPS can is as quiet as anything else and quieter than most. Period.

How would you know? They don't test to a standard. I can't find any independent testing anywhere.

At 31oz it better be ultra quiet and pretty cheap... (just checked the price) oh well, not cheap.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How would you know? They don't test to a standard. I can't find any independent testing anywhere.

At 31oz it better be ultra quiet and pretty cheap... (just checked the price) oh well, not cheap.

Just because it's not online doesn't mean it hasn't been tested or that people don't have experience with them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because it's not online doesn't mean it hasn't been tested or that people don't have experience with them.

Bingo...and a quick google search turns up this test AAC did several years ago.  On another note the 556 Ops model 16th weights in at 19oz.  That is 1 ounce more than AAC's spy/m4.  While Ops silencers may not have the coolest outer shell or whiz bang materials, they have always made quality products that perform well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I find there quality to be superb!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have heard all of the OPS cans and do not think they are any quieter then any others. What makes them better to my ear is the tone they put out. They sound so much lower then the other cans. Like they have a much lower frequency. The sound they make is softer or not as "sharp" as other cans.

I have a 12th on an 18" Douglas and when shooting Mk262 it sounds like standard .22lr through a 24"bbl.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#30]
hmmm all this talk is making me want to break out the card haha.  place on GunBroker has the 16th in stock on Form 3 for $800 i think with a mount.  

have to sell my bike, pay for my Krink and M-14 build, then i can buy can and build the SPR while i wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top