Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2003 9:49:06 AM EDT
I am thinking of getting one of the Hi-Point 995 carbines and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them?  From what little I have read they seem to be a nice little gun.  Good buy for the money.  I want to avoid a POS (which seems to be the general consensus about Hi-Point hand guns) but the 995 doesn't sound like to falls into that category.  Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not high grade, but, is accurate, reliable, and cheap to shoot.....cheap plastic stock, sights are not very good, but, I guess for a plinker the money you pay for it is not that bad...
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Fun to shoot and combat accurate,but it is a cheap rifle made with cheap parts.
Buddy had one and it was a blast to shoot and functioned 100%,but I wouldn't count on it to last as long as a better built carbine.
His was as least as accurate as an mp5(the Hi-Piont has a longer barrel though),I've shot,but of course can't even touch a gun like that as far as quality or "coolness factor".
One thing that hurts it is it won't take pistol mags(read Hi-cap)from other manufactures.
For plinking or CQB drills it's a really fun little rifle.

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#3]
if you can pick one up for about $175, go for it.  For the price of a 10/22 they're a nice step up in power, and the ammo is fairly cheap.  I have one, and tho i rather like it i do regret buying it because i got it with all the extras, which plus the cost of some spare mags, came out to about what a sub2000 costs, and i would MUCH rather have one of those.  As a bare-bones carbine it's a good deal, but if you're going to put money into it....don't! Buy a sub2000 or something like that.  That being said it is reliable and accurate, as well as being obscenely simple.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one for a few years, they are pretty accurate. They feed FMJ very reliabily. They do not feed some HP. mine actually had a painted ffed ramp. THats right the feed ramp itself had a coat of black paint on it. I remaoved it and polished that ramp and it actually fedds the HP stuff but still not 100%. THe firing pin and internal mechanism is very lacking. Fit and finish sucks in a major way.

For the price I would still buy it again. It can put 2-3" groups at 75 yds with standard whitebox 9mm ammo. It has been 100% reliable with FMJ, and it resides in the trunk of my car. IT has lived there for a couple years and it works well in that role. It uses 9mm like my Glock 19 that I carry. I have a cheapy red-dot (BSA) on it and it is fairly accurate and very reliable.

I got mine new with three mags and a 3-9x32 scope for $210 out the door.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine, the only thing i dont like about it is you cant field strip it for a good cleaning. god that drives me crazy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the hell out of mine.

can pop a head...uh...I mean cantaloupe at 50 yards with every shot with the iron sights.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Shot one for the first time a few weeks ago and I really liked it.  Only shot PMC FMJ ammo, so I have no real input on feeding reliability.

Pros:
1. Cheap
2. Goes bang every dang time
3. I could make one ragged 2" hole in the target at 50 yards easily
4. Decent sights

Cons:
1. Seam on molded stock was rough on the face, although 30 seconds with some emory paper would fix that
2. The bolt hold open is obnoxious to use and the bolt does not stay open when the weapon is empty
3. Definitely not a match grade trigger

IMHO, it is worth the price.  If you want a better gun that is easier to field strip, look at the Marlin Camp Carbine, the Ruger PC9, or the Beretta CX4.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#8]
mine is fun. they are cheap crap and more fun than using kittens as skeet.

mine has over 2k through. i have cleaned it twice and the only lube it has had was right after a cleaning.

stock is garbage but for 150.00 they are a fun plinker.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#9]
for the record they have a lifetime no BS warranty that i have used when i broke a dust cover bolt. They do stand 100% behind them. i had parts 2 days after i called them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top