Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2002 10:50:11 AM EDT
Any thoughts on how these stack up to, say, Springfields and Kimbers?  Anybody have experience with them?  How's the P14?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Just another 1911 variant. Grab one and test the grip. They also could use some form of grip material/surface, as the front strap is not really "textured". The Para also has a rather wide grip. Most are ramped, which is a plus. They will feed std length 40 if you go that way.  I prefer the SV grip my self, and have a single stak that has wrap around grip shimmed out to make slightly wider.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
they are nice guns my dad has a 12 that is absolutely amazing it is a compact gun that is very reliable and has the ramped barrel which is a plus it is also very accurate which I don't understand because its a compact pistol, its just not suppose to outshoot my 5" gun!!

but they do have some issues, first break it in and if it doesn't run good you might have to polish up the feedramp. I had none of these problems but just giving you the heads up.

and there is nothing like having 13rds of .45 in such a small package.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my P14.

I have big hands, so the Para with a Hogue rubber grip is perfect...

They are a bummer if ya got small mitts...

Try one at the range for comfort...

As far as quality, they are pretty good.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen more double-stack Para guns fail in matches than any other 1911 brand.  Maybe the newer guns are better, but the older models seemed to be extremely finicky.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a PO P12LDA DAo, I love it, it is my 4th 1911, and the one I would carry first now
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a P-1640 Limited (single action).
Some of my mags hold 21 rounds and stick out about an inch from the bottom of the pistol.
I really like this pistol.
I shoot it better than my other pistols.
I got meduim sized hands and it works for me.
Para's quality control could use some tuning up.
It shot 3" high at 15yds with the rear sight bottomed out.
They kept sending me different front sights.
I finally sent them the pistol.They shortened the sight screw.
The over-all finish looks good.
Even though I like this pistol it wouldn't be my first choice for IPSC.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have seen more double-stack Para guns fail in matches than any other 1911 brand.  Maybe the newer guns are better, but the older models seemed to be extremely finicky.  

What he said.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Limited P14-45 for a short time, couldn't get Federal Hydra-Shok ammo to feed, wouldn't chamber the first round using this ammo but nary a hiccup with ball.

Not a bad gun, plastic mainspring housing, plastic trigger and the price of full capacity mags were a turn off for me though plus the feed problem.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My P-12. It handles anything I feed it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#10]
If you can swing the extra money go for a STI or SVI.  I have both and they are worth the extra money. If you shoot a lot the paras tend to loosen up much faster.  After 10k rounds out of my p16 I am starting to think about acurails and hard chroming to help slow the wear. Here is a pic of my babies.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not a bad gun, plastic mainspring housing, plastic trigger and the price of full capacity mags were a turn off for me though plus the feed problem.

I never noticed the plastic parts before so,
I had to grab mine out of the safe and sho' nuff
, there it is.  The price of the mags has come down from a couple of years ago when I bought mine.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I must have gotten lucky. Mine is circa 1995 and has been flawless. It has about 3k rounds through it and feeds everything I've tried. It's more accurate than any 1911 I've owned before. Been thinking about buying another one, but looking at the SA hicap too.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Para P13-45. I had to send it back to the factory as I got lots of failure to feeds.
They replaced the magazine springs, beveled the ejection port and polished the feed ramp. Works pretty well now but it's a range plinker. It still jams enough that my SIG is what I carry.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#14]
We've had nothing but problems with most of the Para's that we've sold, and I don't recommend them anymore.  Yes, there are some out there that have never had any problems, but the majority that I've had experiences with, do have issues.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#15]
The mags are a problem. Depending on what you want. I have two, IPSC and a carry. Both required lots of work before I'd call them reliable, yet I still like them. I took a P12 and put a commander 4inch on top, with novaks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#16]
... I just love mine. Built it to the FBI HRT specifications. Tack driver, digests anything always.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a P14-45 Limited that I shoot in IDPA and 3-gun matches and have never had a problem with it.  I have been shooting Para-Ord. since 1987 or 88.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top