Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2005 11:47:54 AM EDT
I don't know that I'm that crazy about them.  The two that I have aren't feeding correctly.  I am assuming that they just need cleaning.

Along the cleaning line ...  What do I need to get the magazine apart?  I have a set of CHEAP hex wrenches but none of them fit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
ive never had a problem with the factory ruger mags, i dont know about anyone else though. i found this little site with instructions www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
A 9/64ths allen key will fit it.  Take it apart, and clean it.  
When you re-assemble, turn the spring "a few flats" before you tighten it.
You'll see on the one side a octogon? stop sign looking piece.  
The bolt goes through to that end, so just give it a twist to put more tension on the spring.

Tighten and give it a go.  It should work fine after that.  

I've had VERY good results w/ my factory mag.  I know MANY others have also.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
the factory mags are the absolute best mags i have ever used and have never given me a single problem.

heres a link to rimfirecentral.com's tuning page. look for mag service.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a 10/22 for several year and never had any issues with the factory mags.

Man, I need to get another one!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A 9/64ths allen key will fit it.  Take it apart, and clean it.  
When you re-assemble, turn the spring "a few flats" before you tighten it.
You'll see on the one side a octogon? stop sign looking piece.  
The bolt goes through to that end, so just give it a twist to put more tension on the spring.

Tighten and give it a go.  It should work fine after that.  

I've had VERY good results w/ my factory mag.  I know MANY others have also.  

How many times have you had to clean or retension it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I have never heard of anyone having problems with a factory magazine.  That is until now.  My dad has had one for the longest... never had a problem.  I have owned one for several years...never had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread has proved most usefull. 1 of 6 factory mags wasn't feeding after about the 5th round, so I followed the instructions. I just went outside and dumped the mag as fast as I could without a problem. Mods  I really think this thread should be tacked.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
so fatk1d, have you fixed your mag problem?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, on one of them, anyway.  Basically I got it apart, cleaned the whole thing, fine tuned the tension and I no longer have an issue.  Now I just have to find time to clean the other one.  The second one I might be able to get by with increasing the tension as it doesn't seem like I'm getting much resistance from the spring when I load it up.  I'll try that first on the second one and then cleaning it ...  Thanks for the information here, it helped!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top