BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/9/2014 4:07:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:42:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goodmike45] [#1]
Looks good RAF!  When I finally get my vacation next month I'm going to have to post some pics of the kit I've dyed as well.  I have some DCU/ACU stuff that I hit with "Kelley Green" and it came out a bit more..."mint" than I would have preferred.  On the other hand, just regular brown dye did an awesome job on my DCU triple-mag USGI shingles and they practically look Coyote now.

And then there's the poor, poor 16-shell USGI shotgun panels in UCP I tried to dye green.  I used so much they practically look black, and the water was so hot the glue used in sealing the edges melted.  Ah well, live and learn
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By raf:
I've been experimenting with dyeing the terrible ACU pattern of issued MOLLE gear, as well as 3-color Desert, with
various colors of Rit dye.  With surplus and commercial UCP items being everywhere, and usually cheap, it seemed like a good idea.  What with the Army's eventual switching-over to another camo pattern, UCP items will probably come down in price compared to today's cost.  Besides, companies like London Bridge and Tactical Tailor have occasional sales on UCP items, often at a significant discount.  Why not take advantage of the situation?

First, Rit's site:www.ritdye.com  Lots of good info there.  Click the "Techniques" button, then "Basics" and "Tips For Success" buttons.  Read up.  Reading the instructions is seldom time wasted.  Remember: One can dye light colors darker, but never dark colors lighter.  In dyeing UCP camo, the greatest color absorption will be in the lightest areas, tapering-off as the original camo colors get darker.  The darker areas will often take on a color tint of the dye used, but they will also get a bit darker.  So, the trick is to dye UCP with fairly light colors so as to obtain some contrast between light and dark areas.  I've switched from Rit Dk Green to Apple Green for just this reason.

Next, some inexpensive, sacrificial test pouches:http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/MOLLE-II-ACU-Pocket-Set-8465015247624-p/869.htm.  If you're going to experiment, why destroy something useful, more costly, or potentially saleable/tradable?   Disclaimer: no financial interest.  Note: all dyeing was done in a 3-gal enameled stock pot bought at a thrift store.  Water was brought to a near boil, and then dyeing commenced.  As per Rit, Vinegar was added to the dye solution, since nylon was being dyed (Add salt for cotton blend fabrics).

Finally, some pix of early experiments, with comments.

Below is a pack dyed with straight Rit Dk Green; note the undyed ACU item atop the dyed pack.  This pic was taken with a different, and much better camera than following pix, and is a very good representation of how the item appears to the eye.  Pic taken in the shade.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66585

All the items in the pic below were dyed with straight Rit Dark Green dye.  The left side of the picture is more properly exposed than the right side, and consequently the ACU items, in real life are similar to the colors on the left side of the pic.  3-Color Desert item came out more-or-less greenish khaki, a bit like coyote tan.  Sling shown was originally light tan, and straps at the very top of the pack on the right were originally white.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=36024

Items in the pic below were initially UCP, and dyed with straight Rit Apple Green dye.  In reality, all the items appear darker and much greener than in the pic.  Some close-ups of the Apple green items tomorrow.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=53000

Same items, but from a different perspective.  Note the difference between shade and direct light, which makes a big difference to the camera, but not so much to the eye.  Again, much darker and greener to the eye.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=53001

Tomorrow:  How to dye UCP items brown.  They said it couldn't be done.

View Quote

raf...the first photo looks fantastic.  It looks like Foliage Green.  Now, time to get a 3 gal pot.  They should be available in some .99 cent stores somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks good.

FYI-PSA DO NOT DYE on the kitchen stove and use a paint stirring stick to move items in a pan. What happens is the article flips off the stick and the stick springs backwards flinging black dye onto the walls, the carpet, kitchen towels and into the laundry room. It's a real pain to search for the identical color being the house was painted 12 years ago. Good thing my wife is away for the week.

PS. I did find a color and it matches almost perfect. You really have to look to see the new paint vs. the old.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Tomorrow:  How to dye UCP items brown.  They said it couldn't be done.
View Quote

This I am looking forward too.  

Thanks for doing the leg work on this, raf.

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got some tan Rit dye sitting on my dresser just waiting for when I've got some free time. I've got an Interceptor carrier that I snagged at a pawn shop in UCP that I've been assembling to my liking. The yoke is the only part that had Kevlar in it but Ive been able to modify a level II panel to fit the split front. It came with the groin and underarm add one too. I'll be testing the dye on the underarm pockets first.

I'm looking forward to your results RAF.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how they would take black RIT dye, might be a little purple looking .
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Taped-up old newspapers can be your friend.  Long rubber/latex gloves are often useful.  Some straight bleach may remove some dye stains.  I use long (barbecue) stainless steel spatulas and spoons (the ones with holes/slits are preferred) to stir and manipulate the dyeing items.  When removing items from the dye bath, two implements are better than one, and have a small tote right next to the dyeing pot so you can drain the item over the dyeing pot, and transfer to the empty tote for transfer to the rinsing station, usually the stainless steel kitchen sink.  Rinse thoroughly.  It is hard to overdo the rinsing part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HotHolster:
That looks good.

FYI-PSA DO NOT DYE on the kitchen stove and use a paint stirring stick to move items in a pan. What happens is the article flips off the stick and the stick springs backwards flinging black dye onto the walls, the carpet, kitchen towels and into the laundry room. It's a real pain to search for the identical color being the house was painted 12 years ago. Good thing my wife is away for the week.

PS. I did find a color and it matches almost perfect. You really have to look to see the new paint vs. the old.

Taped-up old newspapers can be your friend.  Long rubber/latex gloves are often useful.  Some straight bleach may remove some dye stains.  I use long (barbecue) stainless steel spatulas and spoons (the ones with holes/slits are preferred) to stir and manipulate the dyeing items.  When removing items from the dye bath, two implements are better than one, and have a small tote right next to the dyeing pot so you can drain the item over the dyeing pot, and transfer to the empty tote for transfer to the rinsing station, usually the stainless steel kitchen sink.  Rinse thoroughly.  It is hard to overdo the rinsing part.

Another reason why I have an outdoor propane gas stove which I use to cook / fry fishes which splatters a lot of cooking oil.  Thanks for the tips.  

Need to read and understand more on how to calculate the ratio of putting vinegar.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HotHolster:
That looks good.

Thanks for the info. I didn't take Murphy's Law into consideration when I took on the project.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the test. I am mulling over dyeing a foliage green pack right now in dark green. It's hard to tell but would you say the FG parts came out like olive?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:17:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#15]

More like foliage green, I would say.  Maybe a tinch greener, overall, then typical foliage green.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By csrevenant:
Thanks for the test. I am mulling over dyeing a foliage green pack right now in dark green. It's hard to tell but would you say the FG parts came out like olive?

More like foliage green, I would say.  Maybe a tinch greener, overall, then typical foliage green.

Interesting. I ordered some yellow and tan dye to mix with the green, and I might experiment with it if I get brave.

Also, does the dark green dye have a blueish spruce type color? Or is that just my screen?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you Raf. I found a pack in the back of a closet of unknown orgin. It's a cheap pack in UCP that I have really been trying to find a use for but it sticks out like a sore thumb here in the desert. Getting it browned up might encourage me to actually DO something with it. NC Star pack in UCP is something I never would have bought. It is still a mystery where this thing came from.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got an old red/black Lowe Alpine pack I've been considering dyeing all-black with Rite. The fabric soaks moisture up like a sponge so I know it wouldn't resist the dye. Any advice?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#22]
raf...are you using liquid or powder Rit?  Do either of them make any difference?  What is your preferred choice?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Here was my set up when I did my UCP FLC in taupe. Big pot with a spaghetti scooper.

I spent most of an hour trying to keep it submerged because nylon apparently likes to float.
Finished product.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#25]
After reading through the Techniques / Tips For Success, I take our gears use vinegar instead of salt.  Rinse to remove all dyes.  Hang to dry.  No further need for machine wash.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dasboots:
After reading through the Techniques / Tips For Success, I take our gears use vinegar instead of salt.  Rinse to remove all dyes.  Hang to dry.  No further need for machine wash.
View Quote

That's what I did.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Fwiw I used rit taupe on acu condor pouches and an issue grenade pouch. The condor pouches barely changed color and the grenade pouch is almost black. I used vinegar, and a whole bottle of taupe in a big stock pot for an hour.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#28]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Did I miss the part on dyeing coyote/sand to turn closest to foliage green?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:59:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#30]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Coming soon:  The perfect shade of green for ACU, and Coyote Brown based on 3-color desert.
View Quote

Such teasers!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#32]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#33]
tag
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Great writeup and can't wait for Perfection.

Have you tried to remove color and redye items?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone thought to look at this stuff in IR?

Just curious. It would kinda suck if it was brightened/highly visible.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:
Has anyone thought to look at this stuff in IR?

Just curious. It would kinda suck if it was brightened/highly visible.
View Quote

I've read some other overviews of using RIT dye and the conclusion was it didn't change the IR properties of the material.  That may be dye color dependent, though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#39]

There can be some differences in how the dye "takes" to the material amongst articles from different gear mfrs  I presume this is because the material used by various mfrs differs slightly.  The material used by, say, SDS and other Berry-compliant mfrs is probably much more alike compared to foreign-made material.  This is not to say that the foreign-made material is necessarily inferior to domestic material, but slightly different in some cases. SDS, Paraclete, and Tac Tailor show some very slight differences in taking the dye .  As with reloading, best to segregate items from the different mfrs, and dye items from the same mfr all at the same time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scrub74:
Fwiw I used rit taupe on acu condor pouches and an issue grenade pouch. The condor pouches barely changed color and the grenade pouch is almost black. I used vinegar, and a whole bottle of taupe in a big stock pot for an hour.

There can be some differences in how the dye "takes" to the material amongst articles from different gear mfrs  I presume this is because the material used by various mfrs differs slightly.  The material used by, say, SDS and other Berry-compliant mfrs is probably much more alike compared to foreign-made material.  This is not to say that the foreign-made material is necessarily inferior to domestic material, but slightly different in some cases. SDS, Paraclete, and Tac Tailor show some very slight differences in taking the dye .  As with reloading, best to segregate items from the different mfrs, and dye items from the same mfr all at the same time.

I've seen radically different results just dying stuff from a single manufacturer. Surplus desert MOLLE II pouch with RIT dark green. The back half of the pouch came out a light lime green and the front came out a very deep bluish green.

It was stirred regularly while dying, no added salt or vinegar.

Seemed to me to be a bit of a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#40]

I've seen radically different results just dying stuff from a single manufacturer. Surplus desert MOLLE II pouch with RIT dark green. The back half of the pouch came out a light lime green and the front came out a very deep bluish green.

View Quote

I did a couple of Coyote double mag pouches awhile back. If I recall I did use vinegar, but the pouches were all done identically. Same amount of agitation, saturation, time in bath, etc.   Surprisingly they came out ranging in various shades of dark green.  Not complaining, they look much better on my right and mix well with my woodland pouches.

So I agree, kinda of a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Iram:  I've seen radically different results just dying stuff from a single manufacturer. Surplus desert MOLLE II pouch with RIT dark green. The back half of the pouch came out a light lime green and the front came out a very deep bluish green.

View Quote

Was it faded on one side from use?  Some of my ACU uniforms have faded noticably.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:34:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#42]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Rit Taupe dye is to retain closest to brown.  I take it that to convert from coyote/sand/desert to Foliage is to use more Dark Green.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:06:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Really looking forward to the results of UCP and Taupe dye.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Another poster already posted such pix on Pg 1 of this thread.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:

Yeah, I was just wondering if you'd had success. And hoping to see your results.

Also, I forgot about the posting on the first page
Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Yeah, I was just wondering if you'd had success. And hoping to see your results.

Thanks for the reminder.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the reminder.

Looking at the photographs on the first page, I'm wondering if there might be a combination that would:

a) get UCP looking a little darker and "brownier" like a proper "coyote"

b) remove some of the contrast between the different colors and the pattern less visible

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for putting in all this work, raf.

Have you tried to go back over something you've already dyed green with taupe or some other dye to try to make it
brown?  I'm wondering if you could get it the shade of green you like then kind of do a tie-dye with brown to get a
woodland-like camo...

(Also just out of curiosity, do you actually use all these pouches or just use them as cheap sacrificial material to
experiment on?)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top