Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2015 12:26:28 AM EDT
Anyone have experience with the new OSS supressors? I have some guys say they are the future of this business and other who were not impressed. What say you?
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody has gen 4 for like $450 and I was interested in giving it a shot but everyone said don't do it. Bought a sandman S instead
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one that is mounted on my SCAR 17 and I love it.
ETA: mine is the three piece kit where the SRM comes off and no, there was no trouble mounting the FHMB on the SCAR
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one that is mounted on my SCAR 17 and I love it.
ETA: mine is the three piece kit where the SRM comes off and no, there was no trouble mounting the FHMB on the SCAR
View Quote

How quiet does it sound compared to other 30 cal cans on your scar 17?
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
This is my first suppressor so I didn't have anything else to compare it to.
I didn't have a decibel reader with me so I can't quote a number, sorry.
I will say that shooting next to a guy with a surefire (not sure the model) they seemed similar.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
OSS just updated their website. The new cans are very intriguing. I'm gonna see what people say about them at the latest shoot before SHOT.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm just not sure why they are on version 15 or whatever of the same can.. It is like getting an iPhone with a new "improved" model every year. I'd rather just buy something with a proven design and not all the gimmic that oss has.  One thing I really don't like is how the octagonal shape causes issues when snugging tight to the second piece.  Every one I've played with doesn't line up exactly with the other piece when snugged tight so the lines don't match.  Purely cosmetic but you'd think when you're paying that much for a can it would have a better fit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:04:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't speak to their performance, only their marketing quotes.

I'm pretty sure that it is illegal for an FFRDC like LLNL to endorse any product or organization.

Regardless, the statement that OSS suppressers are like "a jet engine in reverse" is idiotic.

A traditional baffle is the "inverse" of a jet engine's nozzle.

I guess they're trying to describe the little "stators" you can see in their pics.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not an operator so I'm sure that OSS thinks that I suck and they also hate me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The new website seems to be built to avoid giving the customer information.  You have to search for sound reduction data- it is only provided in a marketing format showing one 11" OAL 5.56mm model vs an un-named competing baffled model.  The weight information is unavailable.  In a FAQ, the answer is that weight varies by model.    

It's a nice website, but something should be bleeding through between the lines when a company has developed a strategic approach to providing less information on the product in order to sell it.  

Previously when that information was available, it showed that for the OSS cans to duplicate performance of market leading 6.5" baffled suppressors in similar material they are twice as long and three times the weight, resulting in the competing OSS model being ~12-14" OAL, and ~32 ounces despite being made of relatively thin titanium.  The components just have a lot of surface area so despite relative material thickness optimization, the resulting products have three major issues when compared with existing technology: Size, weight, and cost.  Those are three majorly important categories.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OSS just updated their website. The new cans are very intriguing. I'm gonna see what people say about them at the latest shoot before SHOT.
The new website seems to be built to avoid giving the customer information.  You have to search for sound reduction data- it is only provided in a marketing format showing one 11" OAL 5.56mm model vs an un-named competing baffled model.  The weight information is unavailable.  In a FAQ, the answer is that weight varies by model.    

It's a nice website, but something should be bleeding through between the lines when a company has developed a strategic approach to providing less information on the product in order to sell it.  

Previously when that information was available, it showed that for the OSS cans to duplicate performance of market leading 6.5" baffled suppressors in similar material they are twice as long and three times the weight, resulting in the competing OSS model being ~12-14" OAL, and ~32 ounces despite being made of relatively thin titanium.  The components just have a lot of surface area so despite relative material thickness optimization, the resulting products have three major issues when compared with existing technology: Size, weight, and cost.  Those are three majorly important categories.
But they have flow-through technology...

Apparently your silencers are "baffling" us
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are a couple of videos - The first is me shooting the OSS 556 gen 4 full auto on a dealers demo rifle. I used ear pro, but I absolutely would with ANY 556 can. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of gas in my face as I have experienced on some setups with some suppressors. I also liked that there was no muzzle climb with this setup. This was shot on an iphone 5s in windy conditions.
On my M16 lower with an LWRC 10.5 piston upper running suppressed with a Specwar 556k does well enough, but will get very gassy if I forget to switch it to the suppressed setting. It's only a little gassy with the suppressed setting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sdtGx3KVFs

Here is Robbie Reidsma from HK at a live fire event I attended in early November. This is on an HK MR 556 with a 16" barrel and it sounded great. This was shot on an iphone 6s plus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maH2mWAIIP4

I have also shot my OSS 762 can with some 300blk subsonics. It sounds good, but I expect that from  300 blk subsonics with most any can. The big benefit is no gas blowback with decent suppression.

I have a few other cans, so I can say that OSS makes more sense for me than someone looking for their first or second can. Some cans do better than others, and warranties definitely come into play with purchases. I know my Silencerco cans will be covered absolutely, Liberty as well, but I have no faith in the HTA folks. OSS is untested at this point, but I am hopeful based on the numerous conversations I've had with a few of the employees via phone.
Specwar 556k
Specwar 762
Spectre II
Mp5SD
Liberty Mystic
HTA T22 integral barrel
HTA Kestrel AK

Omega (in jail)
OSS 762 (in jail)
AAC Illusion (in jail)
Tirant 45M (in jail)

Future purchases will likely be
OSS 556 - maybe this weekend?
Bowers Vers9S after the new year for my M11/9 and I'll move my Liberty to a CZ Scorpion SBR or something.
Sandman S if I can find another reason for another 762 can - found a reason and bought this
Spectre II (another) or Mask
Perhaps an Osprey either 45 or 9
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:28:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I would not go (or stand...) anywhere near OSS products, personally.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#13]
When only one company is doing something a certain way despite the presence of numerous manufacturers, generally that could be viewed as a bad idea rather than a good one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 3:37:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the idea but there outlandish claims is what gets me.  Any video you watch of the company showcasing the cans they say the decibel reading is this and that but don't list them on the website and we all know the cans are not quiet.  And of course they are long and heavy which I'm always against in a suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Purchase made..... I was teetering a while on the OSS 556 can and the Sandman S. In the end, I wanted a bit more versatility, and I really like the mounting system for the Sandman line. I can also use most handguards instead of the larger OSS cans that require a very select group with 1.8" ID
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a big YMMV guy round these parts, but I will say I like mine and it does everything I thought it would do. (On a SCAR 17)
The length is mitigated by the fact that 60 % or so hangs back over the barrel and only the SRM adds length.
I don't know, like it buy it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

How many here have actually shot through one? Or are we just regurgitating what we hear online?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm a big YMMV guy round these parts, but I will say I like mine and it does everything I thought it would do. (On a SCAR 17)
The length is mitigated by the fact that 60 % or so hangs back over the barrel and only the SRM adds length.
I don't know, like it buy it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

How many here have actually shot through one? Or are we just regurgitating what we hear online?
View Quote

C 'mom man, pics
I almost bought gen 4 for $449 last month. I'm not swimming in money but I'd be willing to give it a shot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Not a sexy pic but it is what was on the iPad.
I think there is an archived thread in the FN section about my expierences when I got it last year.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for checking out the new website.  And for everyone who's been patient, the full product line specifications will be released in advance of Shot Show 2016.

If you are going to be at SHOT, be sure to experience our suppressors first hand at Battlefield Vegas.  

VIP passes available at partner booths, or contact us for more info.  
View Quote

We need an popular face in the suppressor sub forum to get VIP access.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for checking out the new website.  And for everyone who's been patient, the full product line specifications will be released in advance of Shot Show 2016.

If you are going to be at SHOT, be sure to experience our suppressors first hand at Battlefield Vegas.  

VIP passes available at partner booths, or contact us for more info.  
View Quote

Since I own one, can I get a pass?
I'll even share some of my videos with you! ??
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The OSS guys say that a lot. But y'know, I don't need to shoot a JJFU silencer either to know his claims are bunk.

OSS cans work as advertised: they give you reasonable suppression and less blowback. The part they don't tell you is that simple physics require a silencer with those two features to be enormous. And in the SCAR pic above, it is just that: enormous. So it starts off as expensive and massive, and we haven't even started discussing weight. I can see OSS being valuable in the small niche of people who shoot from a bench, literally can't stand back pressure, and have a lot of spare money. But if you carry your gun around, or shoot on the move, or aren't rich, I can't for the life of me imaging why you would buy an OSS over, say, a Specwar K, which offers similar suppression, much less weight and length, and costs $550, but has more blowback.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:26:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The OSS guys say that a lot. But y'know, I don't need to shoot a JJFU silencer either to know his claims are bunk.

OSS cans work as advertised: they give you reasonable suppression and less blowback. The part they don't tell you is that simple physics require a silencer with those two features to be enormous. And in the SCAR pic above, it is just that: enormous. So it starts off as expensive and massive, and we haven't even started discussing weight. I can see OSS being valuable in the small niche of people who shoot from a bench, literally can't stand back pressure, and have a lot of spare money. But if you carry your gun around, or shoot on the move, or aren't rich, I can't for the life of me imaging why you would buy an OSS over, say, a Specwar K, which offers similar suppression, much less weight and length, and costs $550, but has more blowback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't own OSS and I'm not sold on their tech but I'm looking at gen 4 at QRF.
$499
4.83" added length
Two thins I don't see (I've had a few jack Daniels so maybe it's listed) are length over the barrel to help compute total length, and weight.
Back pressure may be measurable but "gassy" is subjective
If it's low back pressure and as quiet or more quiet than say a surefire or such, I can't imagine it's a total loser. By no means does it appear like a good choice for a first or even second suppressor but it may be cool to add to the collection. But what do it know. A vast majority of guys in here seem to be doubters and most know more than me so take my words with a grain of salt.
I probably need to hit up some dealers and see if anyone else is blowing out gen 4, maybe I'd be a buyer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it was more expensive. But I don't think it makes the rifle less maneuverable, for my purposes that is.

I like it, if you ever get up to NEPA I'll be happy to let you put a few rounds through it.
I also haven't had a ton of expierence with other suppressors, so all I know is that this makes shooting the SCAR in 7.62 much more enjoyable.
As always, YMMV
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, it was more expensive. But I don't think it makes the rifle less maneuverable, for my purposes that is.

I like it, if you ever get up to NEPA I'll be happy to let you put a few rounds through it.
I also haven't had a ton of expierence with other suppressors, so all I know is that this makes shooting the SCAR in 7.62 much more enjoyable.
As always, YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As always, YMMV

Did your bet a specific mount for the Scar or did it shoulder normally? The scar is know to have a fairly minimal shoulder. Just curious because I own both a Scar 17 and bought an OSS from Capito Armory at an unreasonably good price. Kind of an impulse buy, but I'm well covered on more conventional suppressors, so I was like, why not?
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Don't seem like they add much length to me...

Lots of commentary from people claiming they know how much they weigh, how quiet they are, or how heavy they are when they know nothing about them.  Carry on....
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://osssuppressors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/5.56-BPR1-14-SRM-3-Dimensions-1-e1450231668179.jpg

Lots of commentary from people claiming they know how much they weigh, how quiet they are, or how heavy they are when they know nothing about them.  Carry on....
View Quote

You been hittin the bottle this morning?  Its the exact opposite.  Info on the weight and how they meter is generally not available. Certainly not "lots" of commentary claiming otherwise in this thread.  Im not going to bash the company, but its odd that they are not making waves in the industry if their stuff is really that good.  They have been around a few yrs now and not too much impact.  Rugged, Deadair, and Sig, on the otherhand, are tradional and all people seem to talk about now.  I dont think its just marketing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://osssuppressors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/5.56-BPR1-14-SRM-3-Dimensions-1-e1450231668179.jpg

View Quote

Can you check out the gen 4 for $499 at quiet riot firearms and interpret the description and give us a ballpark weight?
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since you've done work for OSS, would you like to fill us in on what their current models weigh?
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]
When I get mine unpacked I will weigh the whole thing and the separate SRM and BPR.
Just give me a day or two please.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Did your bet a specific mount for the Scar or did it shoulder normally? The scar is know to have a fairly minimal shoulder. Just curious because I own both a Scar 17 and bought an OSS from Capito Armory at an unreasonably good price. Kind of an impulse buy, but I'm well covered on more conventional suppressors, so I was like, why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As always, YMMV

I did not need a SCAR specific mount.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That information used to be available and the weight for a 32DB 5.56mm system was ~32 ounces.  I think your analysis of the people who don't know anything about the products isn't quite on target.  It completely makes sense to take weight off the website when the products weigh twice as much as competing technology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That information used to be available and the weight for a 32DB 5.56mm system was ~32 ounces.  I think your analysis of the people who don't know anything about the products isn't quite on target.  It completely makes sense to take weight off the website when the products weigh twice as much as competing technology.

OSS hasn't had a website that has disclosed specs on their full line of 5.56 products until now (and its still TBA).  But they certainly haven't published specs regarding any system that weighed 32 ounces, at least not in a 5.56 platform.

Keep in mind, this isn't a company that makes only 2 options in 5.56.  They are all about flavors.  Different lengths, weights, db, and mounting solutions.  

In 5.56 alone, there are 5 OTB BPR1 options.  Any one BPR1 can accept up to 4 SRM options.  This means there are 20 combinations if you want an OTB setup.

They also offer 2 traditional FM cans.

There are 22 options in 5.56 alone, (not included MG cans) and 43 options in 7.62, plus the larger caliber options.  And without knowing details on any combination in terms of weight or dB..you're going to claim you know something I don't?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As always, YMMV

Handl Defense gets a custom SCAR-17 can that does the job extremely well.  Here are some links.

This first one I can tell you is a (7.62)  BPR1-12 + SRM-6 combo.  

LINK

This 2nd one is a flush mount (7.62) BPR2-7

LINK
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a source? I remember those numbers differently. While not a lightweight build by any means (but also not outside the bounds of normal), I thought they were in the 19-22oz range depending on which model (556 or 762) you chose?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#37]
STILL no db numbers?

YAWN
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Does OSS have an adapter to take a 7.62 can and place it on a 5.56 barrel?

Wanting to buy one of those suppressor a but would like the 7.62 version.

According to one website it's -26 db.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#39]
What the hell, I bought a 556 OSS can.

And yes, they make a thread adapter.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What the hell, I bought a 556 OSS can.

And yes, they make a thread adapter.
View Quote

I'd like to compare it to my Sakers when you get it, in Fauquier county.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Excellent. I'm in Loudoun. We can certainly do that and a comparison with a few other cans Specwar, Specwar 556k, OSS762 (should come through any day now), and if I can get my dealer to bring them out, perhaps the Omega and Sandman S.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Excellent. I'm in Loudoun. We can certainly do that and a comparison with a few other cans Specwar, Specwar 556k, OSS762 (should come through any day now), and if I can get my dealer to bring them out, perhaps the Omega and Sandman S.
View Quote

Sounds good, I've got two Sakers and two rimfires.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sidebar - my mom graduated from Loudoun county high school
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to come too if possible. I've got Sandmen, Omega, TBAC, Surge.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be working on the new National Harbor MGM Casino in two weeks. I'd like to check all those out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'll be working on the new National Harbor MGM Casino in two weeks. I'd like to check all those out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd  love to see where this goes.
I have a video, and can supply more video. If someone else can imbed for a jerk on his iPad.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When and where is this VA hometown suppressor shoot?

I've got a Sandman-S and Trek (Ultra 7 soon) to add to the fun testing.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I think this will quickly have legs and get set up. I've got some possible locations in mind in Northern Va (indoor range), western Va out by Woodstock (pretty remote, but open woods with a small 100 yard range) that we might be able to make work. but if someone has some better suggestions, I would like to make that happen soon. The OSS 556 is transferring to one of my local dealers. I'll work on video and maybe rudimentary metering equipment to get some highly unofficial and unscientific results. Please reach out to me  and supply an email so we can take this meetup offline.
So far:
Clay
Jefflebowski
HansohnBrothers
AKSU
quick1911
My dealer
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think this will quickly have legs and get set up. I've got some possible locations in mind in Northern Va (indoor range), western Va out by Woodstock (pretty remote, but open woods with a small 100 yard range) that we might be able to make work. but if someone has some better suggestions, I would like to make that happen soon. The OSS 556 is transferring to one of my local dealers. I'll work on video and maybe rudimentary metering equipment to get some highly unofficial and unscientific results. Please reach out to me  and supply an email so we can take this meetup offline.
So far:
Clay
Jefflebowski
HansohnBrothers
AKSU
quick1911
My dealer
View Quote

I'd love to be there for this!
I'll be getting some new video tomorrow I can share.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top