Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 7:09:55 PM EDT
Hi guys!!!  I've been into my AR15's for a few months, and also ordered a AR10.  Next on my list is a .50 cal.  I wanted to ask, for the money that the AR50 sells for, what else is comparable to it?  I just plan on punchin paper with it, no hunting.  I want something accurate, reliable, and well made of course.  Thanks for any info!!!

John
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#1]
For everything you want, accuracy, reliability, etc, the Armalite is an excellent choice. For around the same price range you can get a Serbu, State Arms, LAR Grizzly, or Barrett 99. All of them are fine rifles. The only down side to the AR50 is its size and weight. The big plus is the lack of felt recoil plus it is obviously sexier than all the other 50's. If I were to buy another 50 it would be the Serbu Carbine. It is a sweet little rifle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The brake on the Armalite is very nice. It greatly reduces felt recoil.

Bob
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the Serbu....better deal for the money....I have shot the AR50 and the Serbu....Also the Barrett 99 and the Serbu was a better shooting rifle....and several hundreds less....I have a new Serbu on the way....just waiting on it to drop....cant wait
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Pappy, how did you like the Barret compared to the others?  Now im thinking, maye I can swing a 82A1.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Well now thats a whole different story....the M82 is a very sweet shooting Rifle...the same guy who had the 99 had one...but with the price tag of 7,700 bucks it was out of my price range...Mark Serbu is working on  a semi auto 50 that looks to very nice you can see it on his web site....I think it will go for around 5,000 bucks...save ya about 3 grand...but a barret what can you say....very fine 50...but in my mind the Serbu will give it a dang good run for the money....I was shopping for a bolt action and there no doubt the Serbu is the best deal and shooting 50 on the market right now...
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot my first 50 yesterday - a Barret 99 I believe. I normally shoot a Winchester 70 in 300 winchester magnum - and was surprised (pleasantly) that the 50 cal's recoil was far less than my much smaller 300! I'm hooked after 1 shot - hit the silouette at 200 yards on that 1 shot with nothing more than the scope rails for a sight :-) Having lurked here a bit I have decided on a Serbu BFG-50 - gotta get it before the Peoples Republic of California makes it impossible...
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I see that Serbu is coming out with a semi auto vrsion .50.  Is that it?  I might consider one of those also, I think I saw a MSRP around $5,000.  A far as the bolt actions are concrned, how does th Serbu compare to the Barrett?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, Serbu has been 'coming out' with a magazine fed bolt action and a semi-automatic for as long as I've been looking at them - several years... So I wouldn't hold my breath :-) No negatives meant for Serbu - just an observation
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Serbu BFG-50.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I have shot all 3 of the big 50 bolt action....AR50, Barret 99 and the Serbu...even if I was not on a budget i would buy the Serbu...bottom line for me it just shot better..and felt better to shoot....the AR50 was second and Barret third...Dont get me wrong...I would take any of the three...but when we shot them...the AR50 is nice but really heavy and alot more to break down to clean...the Barret pushed and had alot more recoil then the Serbu and AR50...the Serbu just felt better to me to shoot and is simple to strip and clean...I was lucky to attend a gun shoot here in Tenn last Oct and was abel to shoot all three....helps you make up your mind....but the bottom line is that they all are true bolt actions not shell holder type and you cant really go wrong on any of them...just a matter on how one or the other feels for you to shoot...
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree on the barret and the recoil. It was a beast.

Bob

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
All of them are nice and will do the job, and any criticism of any is just personal preference, but if doing over again I'd still go with the one I got, the AR-50.  Price is certainly reasonable, accuracy is superb, recoil is nil, and one of the main selling points, it just looked like something I wanted to own.  I have not been sorry.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I shot a serbu.  The recoil was just a big push rather than a kick.  Thats no problem.  I'm considering the Barett M99 because I just think it looks cooler.  However, I don't want something thats going to hurt me every time I pull the trigger and the AR50 is just too heavy.  Would you describe the M99 (or other bolt action barrett) as just more of a big push or more of a quick punch?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Hello Shootemup,
I don't know if you've made your .50BMG purchase yet, but you're gonna LOVE it!
I have owned an LAR Grizzly Big Boar for about 3 years now, and am very pleased with it.The recoil is very mild for such an awesome caliber, due to a very effective muzzle brake. It's more like a really big guy pushing you, than a sharp snap. I can shoot it all day long. Put about 150 rounds through it bustin' rocks at the pit last weekend. What a hoot!
The LAR is also very easy to disassemble and clean.
A great place to get ammo, or componets for reloading, is from Larry at watsonsweapons.com.
Best of luck on your purchase, and enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#15]
You won't regret the AR50. I have a hard time choosing whether to shoot it or the Barrett 82 when I go out.
Two totally different guns, but both more fun than you can imagine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
My AR50 Lefty kicks MUCH less than my buddy's Serbu. The AR50 weighs about 10 pounds more, but on a bipod mounted gun, who cares ?

CKMorley
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#17]
So far I've shot the Barrett and the AR-50, Barrett has the highest recoil from my perspective. The gentleman who was supposed to possibly be at the range a weekend or two ago with the Serbu either didn't make it or made it after we all left - so I didn't get my chance to shoot the Serbu yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#18]
My 82A1 feels liks a 12gauge.  A slow push. Nothing to write home about.  Different story for the poor folks standing around me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I got the AR-50 about a month ago, and couldn't be happier. The Barrett M82A1 would have been nice, and I wanted it because it is the semi-auto the military uses, but the AR-50 was cheaper by about two-thirds. Someday, I might own both.
The AR-50 is accurate, well built, and fun to shoot.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top