Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2012 2:52:09 PM EDT
I have built a very well put together gun oven.  I can reach the temps I need but I am looking for a way to add airflow/convection to the oven to make it more uniform throughout.  I have been looking at convection fan assemblies but was wondering if anyone had an idea or link for "the right one."  My oven is an insulated inner and outer sheet metal box with a large heating element at the bottom.  I should be able to wire any metal fan and attach it to the side wall.  Any ideas?

ETA:  Something like this.  Any reason why this wouldn't work, or know of a less expensive one?

http://bluestar-store.mwrc.net/en/product.php?product_id=41331

UPDATED WITH PICTURES OF OVEN AS REQUESTED (and a few others for fun)
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
NVM  I bought one off ebay.  Cheap enough that if it doesn't work I won't throw myself off a bridge.  Shouldn't be an issue wiring it in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400352293849
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Lets see the gun oven
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lets see the gun oven

+1
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lets see the gun oven

+1

Still working on it, and the pictures show it only partially done.  I can show you the fan I just put in it and a few other things though
Up until recently I had used a standard gas oven (from salvation army) that I have in my garage.  It worked great for small projects and I had welded up a four sided add-on box that I could set on the open oven door to make the heated area long enough for bolted actions.  This wasn't perfect as the gun wasn't hanging vertical and I feel a good gun oven should have convection to keep heat even throughout (speculation).

I had been borrowing a friends for long guns recently, he had one tube set at preheat temp and the other tube set up at cooking temp.  I did not like his oven as you have to lower the project down the tube to hang it.  It was a royal pain.

The one on the left with two tubes is one I borrowed from a friend who made.  The one on the right is this first prototype that I just started on, it needs an outer shell, a door, and thicker insulation.  I need to diffuse the heat coming up from the element, and I just added a convection fan.  I am also building a reinforced hanging rack at the very top.  Long way to go.  It is also going to be a prototype as I intend to build a larger and more efficient version from the lessons I learn from this one.  I will weld up angle iron for the skelaton and use sheet steel with a few layers of insulation. Also a diffused element and convection.  Remote thermocouples at a few heights as well.  The rusty angle iron is part of a hanging rack that I will be running a wire wheel over and welding up before painting.  I cleaned up the inside of the "oven" as best I could and will be painting it with a high temp Fire Engine Red "header paint" as soon as I completely finished with it

Keeping the prototype cheap with by using a standard hot plate heating element.  Next version will be a bit more robust.

This is the interior of the convection fan I just put in.

This is the backside of the convection fan I just put in.

Here is a rifle I just did that is FDE.  I just coated it with oil so it looks pretty shiny.

Here is a gigantic bear at my bait stand year before last.

Here is me shooting full auto. (No, not my gun)  
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey lookin' good.  That's prolly the best DIY oven I've ever seen.

I think you've hit all the bullets for a dandy baking oven.  Be advised convection is nice but not totally necessary.  Distance from the heating element can be more critical than circulation.  Or I should say minimum safe distance.  Yeah there's a story behind that.

Link Posted: 12/25/2012 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a electric meat smoker. Reachs temps of 300 and can fit anything AR related.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use a electric meat smoker. Reachs temps of 300 and can fit anything AR related.

That is actually what this oven started as, an electric fish smoker.  I wasn't able to maintain consistent temps and also had heat layering/stratification.  I figured more insulation and convection was in order so I might as well go whole hog.  This is a testing grounds for a big oven I will be welding together in the future.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool thread.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cool thread.

Thanks.  I like that you can see 4 pieces of brass in that last picture.  And that bear is in front of a full size keg that has the popcorn in it.  Bear is so big you can't even see a piece of the keg.  I think that chain was 5 feet off the ground.  

I'll be posting more pics of the oven as I go but need to wait till payday.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top