Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2002 12:39:22 PM EDT
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854316702

I like the idea and would love to get one to go along with my new bayonet from 223rem but is it legal?

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If the upper is on a pre-ban receiver with the bayonet lug attached, it is legal.  Post-ban, naughty naughty.

18 USC 921(a)(30)(b) makes no distinction as to whether the evil bayonet lug feature is detachable or permanently attached.  The only distinction is whether or not it exists on the rifle in any form.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If the upper is on a pre-ban receiver with the bayonet lug attached, it is legal.  Post-ban, naughty naughty.

18 USC 921(a)(30)(b) makes no distinction as to whether the evil bayonet lug feature is detachable or permanently attached.  The only distinction is whether or not it exists on the rifle in any form.  

Damn, thats what I thought.  Thought I'd ask before I rushed out and bid on one.  Thanks

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Who's gonna know????

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Who's gonna know????

...anyone who reads this thread...
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The only gun that I can think that this would be useful and legal on would be the politically correct prebans that Colt made without the lug.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster previously marketed those back in the early '90's.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
So hypothetically that that would work for a post-ban 16” bushmaster upper?

Also would one need a special bayonet to clear the flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So hypothetically that that would work for a post-ban 16” bushmaster upper?

That would also be illegal.  What flash suppressor on a postban are you referring to?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Technically, just owning one and owning a post ban gun can get you in trouble.  Why?  Because SBR prosecutions have been successful for the same reason.  There is the ability to take the upper/lug and place it on a non conforming gun (post ban/non-sbr).  A couple men were convicted of owning SBR's when they only had an SBR upper and no SBR rifle.  Even claiming them as parts guns will fail.  Apparently, no intent is needed to convict.

Buyer beware or buyer be fucked.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe it was originally made for the 16" barrel that is too long to properly seat with the factory bayonet lug, it can be installed in front of the front site so the bayonet will fit like the 20" or 14.5" barrels. It probably wouldn't work to well on a postban anyway since you need the flashider for a tight/proper fit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I believe it was originally made for the 16" barrel that is too long to properly seat with the factory bayonet lug, it can be installed in front of the front site so the bayonet will fit like the 20" or 14.5" barrels. It probably wouldn't work to well on a postban anyway since you need the flashider for a tight/proper fit.

From the song "My Boomerang Won't Come Back" and in a heavy Australian accent....

Oh yeah, never thought o that.

I just might have to get one or two for my 16" carbines since the bayonet doesn't fit on the fixed on, as you mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So hypothetically that would work for a post-ban 16” bushmaster upper?

That would also be illegal.  What flash suppressor on a postban are you referring to?

I guess it's a muzzle break.  Are those illegal too?  It looks like this:
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/Images/yhm-259.jpg
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats the infamous mini Y, its a Brake, its legal, but the bayonette lug is a no no.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it infamous because it sucks?  I think I remember reading in Gun Tests that they didn't like it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#15]
It doesn't suck but its noise level and back blast will drive everyone out of the firing range.

That said, I personally like it though
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#16]
why buy a bayo lug.......??

just buy a bayo to fit the short barrels....., thats what i did............

prebanarms.com/upload/a07.jpg
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#17]
why buy a bayo lug.......??

just buy a bayo to fit the short barrels....., thats what i did............

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top