Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2020 5:13:05 PM EDT
In order to stop polluting the MCX spear thread I figured I would make a specific thread for this.

The Virtus was debuted in 2017 I believe which leaves us 3 years overdue for a replacement product given sig’s usual pace of replacing SKU’s. It appears that a next gen Sig MCX was teased on Instagram during a Sig suppressor shoot. No details were given but the rifle appears to have slimmer handguards that now have a threaded screw for retention on the shoulders like the SPEAR. The gas value also appears to be slightly different. There are also a few updates to to the upper with a few more venting holes cut on it and it appears that some angles are cut differently forward of the ejection port. The lower appears unchanged.

Here is the video:
“Gen 3” MCX

I personally like the improvements including the lack of the large holes on the handguard to adjust the gas piston. Gonna need to get in line when they become open for orders. Please make them available in Black.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't count pic slots or try to estimate length, but is there any chance that it's based off a Legacy pattern?
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on what I can barely discern from the video is that it uses the Rattler pattern.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on what I can barely discern from the video is that it uses the Rattler pattern.
View Quote

Doesn't look it, the upper is a bit longer and looks to extend out to the three holes. Almost looks like a modified legacy MCX.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Might as well bring over the one pic I already posted I guess.

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Sig needs to stop having 800 different generations/fixes of products.  Sig P365 has been out for a couple years and had like 5 gens now. Make it right the first time.

On another note, Sig is also my favorite company.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I snapped screenshots of the video.
https://imgur.com/a/uxO0SFZ

Direct video link.

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like you could put a bullet tip or screwdriver into the gas adjuster knob to help turn it. This is a great addition. Mine's gotten very difficult to turn from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like you could put a bullet tip or screwdriver into the gas adjuster knob to help turn it. This is a great addition. Mine's gotten very difficult to turn from time to time.
View Quote

You can do that on the Virtus. If you have a Legacy, you can put this on to give you the same benefit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can do that on the Virtus. If you have a Legacy, you can put this on to give you the same benefit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, mine is a legacy SBR. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks kind of cool but, I liked the handguard it came with fine. Wouldn't buy a new rifle over it. I'm using an SD one now anyway for in the home.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Might as well bring over the one pic I already posted I guess.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/B61CFA90-D458-42C5-8F39-A9C42983A489-1527974.jpg
View Quote

I really hope that handguard is compatible with the current gen Viritus.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I really hope that handguard is compatible with the current gen Viritus.
View Quote
I'm actually hoping that it's a Legacy one, just for the lols. I have both uppers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Somebody double check me, does the upper receiver appear to be about 26 rail slots long?

I think the Virtus is around 28 (mine is a legacy).
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@coregon
View Quote
In my mind, he's carefully packing up one for each of us, and mine is even in Keymod.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]
No right side bolt release...fail
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Are we guessing names yet?

- Optimus since it’s been “optimized”
- Libertas, Nobilitas, Pietas, Securitas if we’re keeping with Ancient Roman virtues

Just bring back one in some sort of coyote brown/tan, k?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Typical Sig. New weapon every couple years, pull support for legacy weapons, owners SOL, rinse & repeat.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Typical Sig. New weapon every couple years, pull support for legacy weapons, owners SOL, rinse & repeat.
View Quote

Support hasn't been dropped for the legacy MCX though and everything in this thread is pure speculation on if we will even see a new version.

Virtus parts fit to the Legacy MCX system, save for the handguard which is an unique length.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m willing to criticize SIG when they deserve it. Every company steps in it from time to time.

The MCX is not one of those times.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I like to have the suppressor all the way up against the hand guard therefore I don't like the way this system looks.  There is no problem with existing cut outs for valve adjustment
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn’t mind the cut outs on the current virtus if they weren’t big enough to fit a fist through.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Man, i hope with this one they make more than a few dozen at a time.  The MCX Virtus Patrol has been a complete unicorn for the most part, I don't get it at all.  There is plenty of demand for it however in the 9 months I have been looking for it I have only seen 2 major online retailers get some and they were less than a few and sold out before I could load the website from notification e-mail.  Even looking on gunbroker you only see a few here and their of them.  I have had large gun stores tell me they have never even got one in and had them on order.

Don't get me wrong I love sig I have owned quite a few of them, I just wish they would stop showing items and produce them in quantities so that they can actually be found and bought.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Man, i hope with this one they make more than a few dozen at a time.  The MCX Virtus Patrol has been a complete unicorn for the most part, I don't get it at all.  There is plenty of demand for it however in the 9 months I have been looking for it I have only seen 2 major online retailers get some and they were less than a few and sold out before I could load the website from notification e-mail.  Even looking on gunbroker you only see a few here and their of them.  I have had large gun stores tell me they have never even got one in and had them on order.

Don't get me wrong I love sig I have owned quite a few of them, I just wish they would stop showing items and produce them in quantities so that they can actually be found and bought.
View Quote

I'm not going to talk specific numbers, but we have shipped more MCX this year than any other year since it's release.  

I've had several major online retailers tell me directly that they aren't putting as much product online these days - because they dont have to.  They're only putting up enough to keep their traffic.  Whether that's the case with the retailers you've mentioned, I dont know.  

Not being able to find one when you want one is a current firearms market condition/issue, not an MCX production issue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is there a place where you can "backorder" one.  I know I had to do that for the 6.75" Cal-X kit but i'm not sure if the same goes for firearms.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is there a place where you can "backorder" one.  I know I had to do that for the 6.75" Cal-X kit but i'm not sure if the same goes for firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT: no backorder at brownells.

The only known backorder is if you're MIL/LE in which case you can go to Proven Outfitters.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder what will be debuted at the "Virtual" Shot Show this year. Maybe the Gen 3 or maybe nothing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wonder what will be debuted at the "Virtual" Shot Show this year. Maybe the Gen 3 or maybe nothing.
View Quote

I'm not sure they would release a new MCX now given that Sig is struggling to fill backorders for the current MCX models.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:05:23 AM EDT
[#29]
When there are back orders is a great time to roll out an inline change.  No old inventory to clear out in distribution or retail side. Simply upgrade existing orders to the new standard under old pricing and drive on.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When there are back orders is a great time to roll out an inline change.  No old inventory to clear out in distribution or retail side. Simply upgrade existing orders to the new standard under old pricing and drive on.
View Quote

Not really... You'd have to stop all production, increase the amount of time it would take for individuals to get their items and deal with any new QC problems from new production items.

They are attempting to roll this out ASAP, it's going to be continued Virtus items, especially when Sig themselves has stated there is no "gen 3" on the horizon at this time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#31]
This new video dropped today from TFB and the “gen 3 MCX” makes quite a few appearances.

New Sig Suppressors
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#32]
THAT SPEEEAARRRRRRRRR RAWRRR

What is it that is next generation? All I see is the slightly different handguard
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

can't wait to get my hands on one eventually.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What is it that is next generation? All I see is the slightly different handguard
View Quote

The hand guard is the only discernible exterior change with potentially a realigned gas regulator.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m a jerk.

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Mom!!!, GoLoud won’t share his MCX!!!!?!

When sig finally starts shipping those I will have to run one down. Along with a SLX can.

Or the SOCOM SURG. Is that program dead or what?

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like some really cool invintive stuff coming out. MCX is on my radar but I'll wait for the market to come out of COVID crazy before I go there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#38]
That's it! You're off the Christmas card list!

Send me your address for a bag of dicks though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#39]

a gen3 MCX, in minecraft
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

a gen3 MCX, in minecraft
View Quote

Man, I need a new video card.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This new video dropped today from TFB and the “gen 3 MCX” makes quite a few appearances.

New Sig Suppressors
View Quote

I'm curious how they'll handle future MCX barrels with respect to the legacy, taper-mount, direct-thread cans.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

New Sig Suppressors
View Quote

Thanks for posting the video. This is more towards the cans than the new MCX but here are my thoughts...

Positives - Low back pressure and low bolt velocity increase. I would love to hear more about the program that was awarded and what the actual requirements were.

Cons - 10,000 round life span is a deal breaker for me. I have a Surefire RC2 with almost double that amount and it's still going strong, I couldn't imagine having to buy a new can every year or two.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Is that with 10k of 5.56 or 10k of 227 sig fury (50k vs 80k psi)?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:25:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting the video. This is more towards the cans than the new MCX but here are my thoughts...

Positives - Low back pressure and low bolt velocity increase. I would love to hear more about the program that was awarded and what the actual requirements were.

Cons - 10,000 round life span is a deal breaker for me. I have a Surefire RC2 with almost double that amount and it's still going strong, I couldn't imagine having to buy a new can every year or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Sig Suppressors

I agree with you on the lifespan. Perhaps this can is more geared toward the low yearly round count customer segment?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:45:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm not going to talk specific numbers, but we have shipped more MCX this year than any other year since it's release.  

I've had several major online retailers tell me directly that they aren't putting as much product online these days - because they dont have to.  They're only putting up enough to keep their traffic.  Whether that's the case with the retailers you've mentioned, I dont know.  

Not being able to find one when you want one is a current firearms market condition/issue, not an MCX production issue.
View Quote

Well @coregon - count me in as your customer whenever you get an MCX in. Been looking forever ;)
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 5:00:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I agree with you on the lifespan. Perhaps this can is more geared toward the low yearly round count customer segment?
View Quote

The 10k number was referring to it being mounted on the 13in 277fury that operates at 80,000psi. I doubt there is anything on the market that would fair much better.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Sig Suppressors

They were talking only about the .30 can on a 8.6.

You won't find any cans that aren't absurdities that will surpass that life with that much pressure going through them every round.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well @coregon - count me in as your customer whenever you get an MCX in. Been looking forever ;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He works for Sig. I don't think they sell to non-org/civilian end-users directly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top