Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 5:33:47 PM EDT
Okay you FAL guys, help me out here.

I am looking at building my own FAL.

First off, I need a good recever (and if I get that first, I can justify it to my wife in getting the kit part)

What do you all suggest I get?

What is the difference between-
Metric Type 1
Metric Type 2
Metric Type 3
Inch Pattern

Also, what kind of of kit do you suggest? I am looking at the STG58 kit, for $350. is that too much? Should I look at somthing else?

Thanks for the help.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you're a hardcore, Metric Type 1, 2, and 3 are all functionally the same, with only cosmetic differences.  Inch has slightly different specs for slightly different features.  DSA, Imbel, and Coonan make well regarded metric receivers.  Hesse didn't, neither did WAC.  Entreprise has a less than consistent reputation, although they do make Izzy and Inch pattern receivers.  Kits of either metric or inch pattern can be built on either type receiver without significant issues.  Inch receivers are much less common.  StG kits are top notch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am looking at the STG58 kit, for $350. is that too much?
-UHLEK-

Who has this deal?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
DSA has STG kits for $295 www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=STG58K&storeid=1&image=stg58sets.gif

I think FAC has them for $350
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you’re planning on building one up and looking to save some money, go with the Imbel gear logo metric receiver.  If you have a few more dollars (read hundreds) go with a DSA receiver.

The downfall to either one of these options is that you will also need to get enough USA parts in the rifle to make it legal.  If you start adding up all the money that you will spend to build the rifle, you will notice that for around $800, you can get a DSA STG-58a that is already built, and has a warranty from DSA. The like new parts kit, the receiver, the USA parts and tools needed to build up just one rifle will run you well into the $800 mark. The real savings isn't achieved until you start building up the rifles by the handful, or until you find someone that already has the tools that you can borrow.

As far as going low budget, you could go with a G-1 kit, on a cheap FAL receiver, but be prepared to have to change parts and tinkering to get the rifle up and running. Some of the cheap G-1 kits are just plain worn out, and a few of the cheaper receivers can be a bit out of spec. Granted that if you have the tools, and the talent to go this way, you can keep the cost under $400, but don't expect the rifle to be anything more than a plain shooter with group around the 4 MOA mark at best.

P.S. FAC has the DSA STG-58a rifles listed at $795 the last time I checked.  Add shipping and a $20 FFL fee for the transfer and you are out the door at for around $850.  All that would be needed is to find a local FFL to do the transfer and pay FAC for the rifle on your own credit card.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, this afternoon I broke down and ordered an Imbel Compliance Kit from Tapco for $199

Now I have to find a good reciever.

Thinking on an Imbel Type 3.

What say you? Would this build be smooth as cheese? Or am I going to have to send it to DSA or someone to finish off the work?

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
again, I recomend going with an Imbel receiver (licensed mfg)

Look on the fal files for help.  Thats what I did and was able to hook up with someone near me and for a small contribution, I got my bbl mounted and timed, headspaced set.  Plus I got to meet someone else out there with similar interest.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to FAL files.com and get in on the DSA reciever group buy!!!  I got a Type III for $285.  DSA recievers beat the hell out of any bananna land made reciever.  They usually cost around $500 just for the reciever but in this group buy I saved a ton.  Hell I dont even have a kit to build on yet, it was just a great deal and had to get.  Follow the instructions and have it sent to your FFL holder and you are the proud owner of the best FAL reciever made today.
I dont work for DSA but I buy all my FALs from them, 3 already and I get all my parts from them and have never been let down.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#9]
VonOnken is correct, the DSA receiver is quality and backed with excellent service.  I also like Imbel gear logo to build on and they are also of equal quality and less expensive.  Your build should go smooth if you researched everything and there's a ton of research to do when building a FAL.  Headspacing alone can fill a volume in itself, but don't let that deter you.  Headspacing is easy with the right tools.  Good luck and ask questions if you need to, lots of folks are willing to help and offer advice.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info guys.

I found the WECSOG website. That guy did a damn good job of chronicalling his build.

I'd love to get in on that group buy, but truth be told, I don't have $280+ to throw down on a reciever. I think I'll just stick with the Imbel Gear Logo. About 1/3 less, and then I can say I have an Imbel rifle.

It's still going to take me a few weeks to get everything to build this thing up. $200+ in tools and videos alone. This is just to build the basic rifle. Doesn't even count the scope mount cover and such.

I plan on sending the barrel assembly to Entréprise to get the FS taken off and have them install their "ZeroClimb" Brake for $50.
What do you all think? Is the installation of the Brake worth the $50? Or is that too much for that?

Thanks,
-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Try Vandenbergcustom.com. Ed is a master and produces sub MOA FALS as his specialty. His finishes and prices are awesome, as well as fast turnaround. He has specialty brakes as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:49:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Along the lines of the thread, what do you experienced guys think of Entreprise against the DSA?  And, if Entreprise is ok, what kind of price seems reasonable for an FAL built up from an Entreprise with the Steyr barrel?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Along the lines of the thread, what do you experienced guys think of Entreprise against the DSA?  And, if Entreprise is ok, what kind of price seems reasonable for an FAL built up from an Entreprise with the Steyr barrel?

It's cheaper to get a kit and have Entreprise slap it together for you with one of their recievers than buy a gun from them outright.

Parts kit- < $200
Receiver- < $225
Build cost- < $100

Cost of new rifle from Entreprise- $600 +

I think Entreprise will put together your kit for $75. There are a bunch of extras you can throw in there for an extra cost. Parkerizing and such.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Heard some complaints about mega sound on the zero climb brake, along with bruised cheeks when it tries to pivot the butt end up around your hand hold.
Seen builds on both Imbel and Coonan, Coonan is equal to Imbel IMO and same cost for US part.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
...Coonan is equal to Imbel IMO and same cost for US part.

One big difference I found out today which pushed me to the Imbel over the Coonan. Imbel is Forged, Coonan is Cast.

To some the difference is negligable, but to me the $10 or $30 more for the Forged one is worth it to me.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I am building my last Imbel receiver next week.  The only reason I am even doing that one is because my kit had a type 3 lower.  From now on, I only use type 1 or 2 lowers and only DSA or Coonan uppers.

Why?  Well, while the Imbel is forged and it does have a better finish than the Coonan, they have other issues that drive me nuts.  The edges are rougher, especially in the feed lips.  The worst issue though is barrel timing and the threads.  I have three barrels that screw right on to a Coonan and snug up at 11:00 that wont even go on to an Imbel.  I have to chase the threads on the barrel to get it to budge.  Once I do get it on, it times to 9:00 and one of them bottoms out.

These are all problems that can be cured.  They aren't huge deals (unless you do like me and not notice it is bottoming out until after shaving the crap out of the shoulder).  They are also issues that don't exist with the Coonans I have put my hands on.

If you lived in Virginia, I'd offer you a straight trade for my spare Imbel GL from PAC for a Coonan.  I'm done with Imbel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a receiver wrench I'll loan you if you want to DIY.
IM me.

Tim
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IM me.

Tim

I appreciate the offer, but I have a friend who wants to buy his own and have me build it, so I am going to end up purchasing my own anyways.

Thanks though.
-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Do you want to see why I will never buy another Imbel?  Read this.  I'm finshed, done, never going to do it again, fed up, pissed off at and tired of Imbel!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Do you want to see why I will never buy another Imbel? Read this. I'm finshed, done, never going to do it again, fed up, pissed off at and tired of Imbel!
don't hold back now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#21]
thats the first time I've heard of a problem with an Imbel receiver.   sorry!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh yeah... Madhatter... Bad news.  I can't get the Hesse receiver off your barrel.  I think we need a torch.  If you saw the amount of force I was putting on it this morning, you wouldn't believe it.

On the plus side, I did get the stub and combo device off the Imbel barrel.  I almost wen through an entire cut-off wheel, but they are off now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IM me.

Tim

I appreciate the offer, but I have a friend who wants to buy his own and have me build it, so I am going to end up purchasing my own anyways.

Thanks though.
-UHLEK-

Hee..hee..hee, so, the addiction starts
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#24]
im also building on an imbel reciever.  actually this weekend w/ cliffy and a few other VA arfcomer's.  i just aqquired my second fal kit (which i thought id never do) and i already know ill wait for a coonan for this one.  like cliffy said i have also had some timing issues and i want the extra US part.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey David... you might want to take a look at the update I posted to this situation at the FALfiles.  Lucky, Lucky, Lucky.

I'm still not buying any more Imbels, but at least there is a little good news.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
TAGGED
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok I posted over on FAL files and noone has responded to it. Or reposnded to much. It seems building my own is cost prohibitive once you get everything. So what would be a good caliber for long range shooting and barrel length. Im thinking 21" with .308 caliber. Am I off?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#28]
CAR97M4, elaborate more about what you want to do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#29]
600 plus yard target shooting. very precise
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
TAGGED

I'll second that.

And another addiction begins...........
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
600 plus yard target shooting. very precise

you could possibly get buy with a 30.06 or a .308.

however, if you're REALLY serious about it, check out as much information as you can.
there are a lot of 'custom' calibers/rifles out there that will really perform.

Might I suggest subscribing to Precision Shooting magazine (?)
www.precisionshooting.com/
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#32]
the 300 carttridge seems like a really nice choice to. but I would think a 21" barrel would be best with this FAL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top