Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2016 6:16:33 PM EDT
Just picked up a Sig 220, I doubt it will care whether the brass is small primer or large primer.   Is there a difference outside of the primer size?   Will a larger primer burn more powder?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The difference only matters when you go to prime the cases. Don't try to cram a large primer in a small pocket.  It's BAD.  And don't try to get a small primer to stick in a large pocket.  It won't.

Functionally, there is no difference.  Others here have said that they use the same loads in both types of brass.  I haven't gotten through enough of my pile of large primer .45 brass to mess with it yet.

I've been salivating over SIG P220s for years, but their newer P227, a double-stack .45 has me thinking differently...
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The difference only matters when you go to prime the cases. Don't try to cram a large primer in a small pocket.  It's BAD.  And don't try to get a small primer to stick in a large pocket.  It won't.

Functionally, there is no difference.  Others here have said that they use the same loads in both types of brass.  I haven't gotten through enough of my pile of large primer .45 brass to mess with it yet.

I've been salivating over SIG P220s for years, but their newer P227, a double-stack .45 has me thinking differently...
View Quote

Which one came first?  Small or Large?   I have a bunch of brass I picked up years ago and it's assorted.   I have a ton of small pistol primers but no large on hand.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Large came first.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Small primer .45 cases are a fairly recent development.  It looks like the ammunition makers didn't want to develop a large version of their small, "non-toxic" primers, so they tinkered around and found out that .45 ACP works fine with small primers.

A lot of rounds started out with large primers and wound up with small.  The original .40 S&W was made with a large primer (kinda a cut-down 10mm Auto case), but was changed to small primer because of potential mechanical issues when ejecting live rounds.  The old, reliable .38 Special was once made with large primer pockets, but that was WAY back.

The ONLY "problem" with small primer .45 brass is keeping it separate from large primer .45 brass.  As I said, you don't want to mismatch primer and pocket.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, no difference at all other than what size primer you need to ram into the hole.

I load all my data the same no matter if it's small or large primer.  No difference at all over the chrono.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are a reloader, then settle on one or the other.  I personally hate SPP brass as I have alot of LPP.  If you want to go SPP thats fine, and in fact alot of reloaders, myself included, will trade it away without a second thought.  If I didnt have 5000 LPP on hand, and 4000 peices of 45 brass, Id switch to SPP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
SPP

I save those for when I'm shooting somewhere that brass recovery is iffy.
If I can't recover them, no big deal.
In fact, I'm glad to be rid of them

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:44:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Like components. saves on buying two different size primers. Wish I had all SPP when I started hording components.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I use them both,  as a habit I look at the bottom of the case when reloading,  I got a really good deal of the ee for some brass,  no one wanted to buy it....

so far I have not had any issues with trying to put a large primer in a small hole
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I sort SP .45 and set aside.

Federal uses both SP/LP (sort of a pain in the @$$ considering how much Federal brass is floating around).
Blazer seems to be all SP (not sure if this was always the case).

The above info is based on my experience, and is based on newer ammo (2012+), not sure if anyone used SP .45 prior to 2012, or if any other head stamps should be included.

I do sort by head stamp, so it's really just annoying at this point.

~g
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:22:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully by the end of the year, I will be switched completely over to all small pistol primer 45ACP brass, the only thing I'll have that will use the LPP will be the 10mm and 45Win Mag which I don't shoot very often. Logistically, the small pistol primer works for me as I already load 380, 9mm, 40 s&w, 38 s&w, 38 super and 38 spcl. Plus I don't have to worry about my shooting buddy snagging my brass, as he hates SPP 45 brass.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Federal uses both SP/LP (sort of a pain in the @$$ considering how much Federal brass is floating around).

The above info is based on my experience, and is based on newer ammo (2012+), not sure if anyone used SP .45 prior to 2012, or if any other head stamps should be included.

~g
View Quote

The headstamps I have found so far are:
Speer
Federal
Blazer
ICC
Win NT
Fiocchi
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I did some testing between LPP and SPP, and discovered any differences are

dependent on particular powder/bullet weight combinations.

Example: with 230gr hardcast and WSF powder, I get 50fps more using a Magnum SP

than with a standard SP, and standard LP was right in the middle of the two.

Silhouette powder didn't like magnum LP with heavy bullets and hot loads,

but did very well accuracy wise with SP Magnums, middle weight bullets,

and hot loads.

The combinations are endless, I'm hoping to have funds and time to test them all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Speer
Federal
Blazer
ICC
Win NT
Fiocchi
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~g

Speer
Federal
Blazer
ICC
Win NT
Fiocchi

I don't even bother looking at the headstamp.  I just look at the size of the hole in the middle.  It's pretty obvious, especially if you have an example of one or the other primer size on hand.  I believe most brass makers will eventually migrate to at least offering SP .45 ACP brass, so watching headstamps isn't going to be as useful as just recognizing the different sizes.  Keeping the two sizes of primer pockets separate is important enough to warrant a separate sorting pass.  After that you can sort each primer pocket size by headstamp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top