Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 6:45:10 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm just getting into firearams and currently have a Walther P99 QA pistol.  I'm looking to carry this once I become more proficient with it and I would like to know exactly what I can and can't do.

What I mean is this.  How does it work right now as a gun owner w/o a concealed carry permit.  Can I carry one NOT-concealed in a holster?  If I get a conceal permit what does that enable me to do aside from the standard ability to "bear arms"?

EDIT: Read the website linked and answered alot of questions regarding conceal permits.  Thanks!

My friend was telling me that laws are more strict if you have a concealed carry permit as in you MUST conceal it?  What's the deal on that.  I don't want to get in trouble w/ the law. hehe

Also, next up I guess I have a few general firearms questions.  Although I've been readiang up almost every day for the past 5 weeks on various types of weapons I do have some questions as to what's good and what's not.

Long Range Tactical Rifles
Which rifle is a good bolt-action (possibly with a magazine) rifle?  I see alot of Remmington 700s?  But which model is the best. Answered  I would like to get a .308 so I can just buy one type of ammo for the Springfield M1A Socom 16 which I plan on purchasing as my second weapon.

Question 2:  What's the word on the Springfield M1A Socom 16?  From what I've been reading it's absolutely amazing but I'd like to hear some more opinions.  Again this is the next weapon I plan on buying.

Shotguns
I'm planning on purchasing a tactical shotgun.  Weapons that interested me were the H&K Fabarm FP6 but this beast seems to be rather rare.  In other words, I can't find it ANYWHERE online.

The other shotty I'm interested in is the Mossberg 500 which seems to be rather customizable.

Any other suggestions?  What are your impressions on the two I listed.

Pistols
From what I'm reading basically any 1911 now-a-days has potential to totally rock.  Currently I'm looking at the Springfield 1911A1 (in Black/wood), or the  Smith&Wesson SW1911 (in Black/wood).  Would like to spend around $650 for either, and both seem to be going for about that much.  Again, any hints/tips are welcome.

Silencers
I do understand that I would need a new threaded barrel to equip a silencer for my P99, and they are being made.  But my question is about the silencers itself.  Do they last forever?  Or does something inside "give out" rendering it useless after X amount of rounds fired?  Do you need special bullets when using a silencer?  A silencer is a Class 3 item correct?  What kinda fees are involved in owning  one?

THANKS A TON!

I know I'm asking alot of questions but there's only one way to learn.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, here's a partial answer and a good start:  Packing.org.  As a new shooter, an NRA-certified handgun safety course at a nearby range would be an excellent idea too.

Welcome to the marvelous world of guns!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I would REALLY like to get a rifle all customized out like this bad boy.  Looks like it's a Remmington 700 by the .jpg name.  What's the deal with these rifles?  Are they popular because they're well built? Customizeable?

Ahh so many questions. haha!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's one reason the 700 platform is so popular.

And if you want one, here's something I'd jump on in less than 2 milliseconds if I were in a position to act on it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahh awesome.  I was unaware that was the same rifle I've been using in Battlefield 2 :P
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If I may throw in my .o2 on some of your questions.

First of all, delay any sort of customizing plan you have for a shotgun and/or a rifle. Given that you're just starting out, there's a shitload of info that you never even knew existed out there & meanwhile you may have already spent a ton of $$ on something you no longer think is the cat's ass.

The Mossberg 500 or 590 is a fine little shotgun for a pump. You could easily spend twice the cost of the gun on accessories based on what's out there now. Skimp on the accessories & instead spend it on ammo & range fees, IMO. After a few thousand rds down the barrel, you'll have a better idea of what would be better to have & (more importantly) what's NOT important.

A good source for being able to determine what you options are is to attend a local 3-Gun Match in your area. These matches comprise of a handgun, rifle & shotgun. You'll see most of the major brands there & in a variety of configurations as well.

WATCH THEM SHOOT A MATCH/STAGE! As Yogi Berra once said, "You can observe a lot by watching." Watch what equipment they use, what works, & on occassion, what doesn't work. Talk to them between stages or after a match, ask them why they chose Remington over a Benelli or vice versa. Most will be happy to tell why their brand is better than the other.  

Be advised that Remington has a separate web site for their tactical shotguns from their duck hunter versions so as to not offend the sensibilities of the duck hunting crowd. Check that site for options as well.

As for your rifle, ask yourself, why you need a "long range tactical rifle" instead of an AR type? Keep in mind, you can swap out the upper of an AR between a bull barrel flat-top with a 50 power scope with an 16" barrel with a red dot for up close & personal work & use the same lower for both. This saves you $$$$. In case you didn't know, it takes about 20 seconds to swap the two uppers.

Unless you live out in the desert, I doubt you'd ever need a shot of over 300 yards. Most likely, half that & an AR can easily do what you need at about half the price.

You might want to ignore the advice given in the gun rags as too often they're driven by who buys their ads that determines what guns they say you HAVE to have.

99% of any scenerio you might encounter in the US can be simulated by a stage at a 3-Gun match. A good sidearm (which you already have), a good light rifle such as an AR (or FAL or even AK) & a good tactical shotgun are really all one would need to herd the demons in our society, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
BobCole,

Thanks a bunch for your response.  I would definitely be interested in checking something like that out. As for why I want an M1A, I just have a love for it.  I know it's a little more expensive but I dunno, just really like it.

If I have the opportunity to shoot both before I buy, I'm sure that will help alot in the buying decision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top