Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 1:08:07 PM EDT
Well I learned today that I will be signingfor my new peq-16 tommorrow and getting rid of my "old" peq-15 off my m-4(who says the marines get the armys leftovers) any the thought occured to me that there will be somewhere around the number of 180 peq-15s just from my company that will be just sitting there instead .gov possibly selling them to offset the cost of the 16s.  Stupid rules prevent me from owning my own personal peq-15 for my rifles at home. Anyway can anybody tell me why that is the law?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I will give it a shot. The FDA has a regulation that governs lasers. The laser in a peq-() is a class III  laser, because it is infrared. Class III lasers can cause damage to, or blindness of the eye, hence the FDA regulation. The Regulation basically says you have to have all infrared lasers contained so that the beam will not come into contact with any ones eyes. Uncle Sam was able to get a waver to this rule for its aiming devices. However the waver also says that they can not be sold to individuals, new or used.  

There however is no regulation governing a person building one, or modifying existing red, green or blue units by changing out the laser diode, as long as he does not sell it.

The above is my understanding of the regulation, but you may want to read it for your self as things change from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The PEQ-15s will not go to waste, there are still a lot of Marines that are using AN/PAQ-4Cs and AN/PEQ-2As (in the wing, MLG, etc...). The AN/PEQ-15s will be redistrubuted to those units (using DRMO) to accomplish the Commandant's intent of every Marine having a AN/PEQ-15 and every combat arms Marine having a AN/PEQ-16.

Now, do I believe you should be able to own your own AN/PEQ-15 or 16? Heck yeah, you would be more likely to be able to get ahold of a PEQ-2A though....

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You're close, hugh1.

Manufactures can not sell to individuals.  However there is nothing saying individuals can not possess one.

How do you think Law Enforcement buys them?  When LEO crowd grows tired of them they are sold on the open market.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
IR lasers are out there

Several regular posters have IR lasers on thier rifles

problem is they are very expensive and hard to find.....

Once in private hands thier is no laws preventing ownership, selling, or buying, only from dealers or manufactuers...the ones in private hands were sold by LEOs or were broken when they got onto the open market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top