Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2012 12:30:38 PM EDT

There is finally a can for the Steyr AUG and other rifles of this type that takes care of the "pop" from the piston.  Anybody that has tried a can on one of these guns knows that while the cans drastically cut down on the overall noise, there is still a sharp crack from where the gas vents from the piston.  Until now....

The crew at Ratworx had these at the Bullpup Shoot 2012, and they were the quietest suppressed bullpups at the shoot.  I had a chance to fire these side by side with other suppressed bullpups and the results were pretty impressive.  These are the suppressors we have been waiting for!

Some of the pictures show heat tape wrapped around the cans.  Ratworx has applied for a patent and will show us how it works once the patent is secure.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I like!!  

What's your best guess on pricing?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If they work with the AUG, they'll have my money.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They work.  I shot it at the Bulllpup Shoot and it was damned impressive.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
When will they be available? How much?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you compare the report to an AR with suppressor mounted?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you compare the report to an AR with suppressor mounted?

I shot some video today and will do some more tomorrow.  I made a video of this can being fired along side of a A3 with a GemTech 5.56 can.  We were firing the guns simultaneously over the video camera from about 6 feet away.  Tomorrow I will throw a AR15 in with the mix.  I will say that it works, and it works well.  The A3 with the GemTech is considerably louder than the A3 with the Ratworx can.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The suppressor works exceptionally well.  You can see it if you jump to 8:00 in this video.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:45:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I too shot it and it was very impressive. I pretty much shoot mine suppressed all of the time and the Ratworx suppressor set up is damn impressive.

I just want to see if they come out with some sort of base that you can use your own threaded can on. I can only hope.

I would hate to have to shell out another $200 and a 6 month wait for a stamp on a new can.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of curiousity, what is the thread size on the new Steyr AUGs?
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Out of curiousity, what is the thread size on the new Steyr AUGs?

13x1 LH
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 3:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Honestly, I couldn't tell a lot of difference between them. But when I listen to mufflers on YouTube I can't tell much difference either.

Since I haven't even started a trust yet or ordered my aug there'll be plenty of time to investigate what's available.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#13]
When can we order a Ratworx suppressor and how much?
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Honestly, I couldn't tell a lot of difference between them. But when I listen to mufflers on YouTube I can't tell much difference either.

Since I haven't even started a trust yet or ordered my aug there'll be plenty of time to investigate what's available.

That video was not exactly filmed with state of the art equipment.   The RatWorx can really takes away the piston "pop".  I think if a video was filmed in the dark it would demonstrate this much better. AUG's send a LOT of noise out of the piston vents, with this suppressor, all that gas is vented through the suppressor.  The patent is done and there should be price and availability next week. There are currently a good number of these in production, I hope to get one out of the first batch.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
You can hear the "pop" with the YH suppressor and you can't hear that same pop with the RW suppressor.

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can definitely hear that "popping" difference.  But I feel the exact way about mufflers on youtube

Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can hear the "pop" with the YH suppressor and you can't hear that same pop with the RW suppressor.

+1
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll be calling Pete on Monday/Tuesday to order an aug so I will be learning about the piston pop soon!
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, the patent is done and we can all see how this new can works.  This can is just what you have been waiting for to quiet down your Steyr AUG or clone. It seems like the first run of these will be about 75 units. You need to call up Aaron at RatWorx and get your name on one of the if you want one. And you want one.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice.

What provides the gas to the piston? The suppresor or the barrel's gasport?

If the suppressor's gas is what drives the piston, does that "contraption" cut off gasflow from the barrel's gasport?

If the barrel's gasport is still used to drive the piston, does the gas flow into the suppressor and/or does the gas from the suppressor also flow back into the "contraption"? ie gas pressure is at equilibrium momentarily? .

Scenario A. Rifle is fired, gas flows through barrel, travels through gasport, activates piston, bleeds off through "contraption" into suppressor?

Scenario B. Rifle is fired, gas flows through barrel, gasport is blocked, gas continues out muzzle into suppressor, gas flows through channel in suppressor into "contraption", thus activating piston?

Scenario C. Rifle is fired, gas flows through barrel, travels through gasport, activates piston, at the same moment gas also travels out muzzle into suppressor and is channeled into "contraption", after impulse gas pressure is at equilibrium momentarily and reduces to normal "standard" atmospheric pressure?

If the answer is scenario B, is cyclic rate affected and if so, how?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]
The way it works is we moved the gas ring section down the piston towards the back of the gun, made a sleeved section that covers both exhausting gas ports.  When the gun is fired the gas port dumps gas into the chamber above the piston moving the piston to the rear, exhausting the excess gas forward through a small hole which dumps the gas into the suppressor through the tube threaded into the back of the suppressor.  I thought about this for a long time and had several designs over the past 2 years.  This one was the most logical and made the suppressor removable from the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The way it works is we moved the gas ring section down the piston towards the back of the gun, made a sleeved section that covers both exhausting gas ports.  When the gun is fired the gas port dumps gas into the chamber above the piston moving the piston to the rear, exhausting the excess gas forward through a small hole which dumps the gas into the suppressor through the tube threaded into the back of the suppressor.  I thought about this for a long time and had several designs over the past 2 years.  This one was the most logical and made the suppressor removable from the barrel.

From the photos, that is a very impressive thought out design.

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I have had the opportunity to play with and see it up close, it is so stupidly, elegantly simple it is unbelievable.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#25]
When do these lovelies go on sale? Its on my list.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They are more or less for sale now.  There will be around 75 in the initial run.  You should call Aaron and get one reserved if you want one.  They will be $699 shipped to your dealer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are more or less for sale now.  There will be around 75 in the initial run.  You should call Aaron and get one reserved if you want one.  They will be $699 shipped to your dealer.

Called into ratworx and got put on the list.. thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice.

Will this fit on the new Aug A3 CQC?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nice.

^ This ^  A yes or no on this will determine whether or not I go with an A3 or A3 CQC.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.

It will not work on the CQC A3 AUG.

Pete Athens

Thanks Pete. I still want the CQC so I guess I'll pass on the suppressor...
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Is this suppressor compatible with an AR15 also?  Ie; Does it come with a part to block the gas piston part, so it can be threaded/quick detached onto a standard 5.56mm rifle as well?

Just be nice if it was a multi-use suppressor is all.

Thanks
Andrew
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Please leave that stuff for GD...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Using that logic if someone is trying to sell something maybe they should leave it for equipment exchange.- TexasYid
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I wish I lived in a state that allowed suppressors That is just awesome.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I didn't think it was worth making a whole new thread for one pic but . . . here's an SBR Tavor with a B&T suppressor:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top