Quoted:
Anyone have one?

Any good?

Vices, pros, cons?

Anything?

Thanks

Max

Pros:

They don't nick/scratch the finish of your gun (for 1911's and other rail-less weapons).

They hold zero despite recoil (most of the clamp on gadgets don't).

Cons:

Don't expect them to make you more accurate. They (or any laser) won't.

You need to use little tiny allen wrenches to adjust them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Also if you go the thefiringline.com one of there reps/ like a vp or something started posting there a while back so you can do a search and see what was said there.
I would love to have one even the their prices, but they don't make them for my guns. I have owned several laser sites, and as Dave_A says, the cheap ones don't hold zero, the expensive ones do, but you are paying about the same price as the crimsion trace grips for it and you can't put them in a regular holster.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a set on my Smith and Wesson 686 house gun. As with any laser you can only use them indoors or in the evening - perfect for my house gun.

The Crimson Trace are small, easy to operate, and dependable. I haven't knocked mine silly with hundreds of magnum rounds so far.

The tiny allen wrench is a pain in the butt - I couldn't put my hands on mine if I had to right now. It's smaller than any one I've even seen sold.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#4]
personally i think those intregal beretta lasers are badass, the ones that replase the guide rod
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
CTC gets my vote, i have a set on my Sig 226, nope wont make you more accurate. it will sure show if you flinch thou.. red dot drops down then jumps back up when you fire.

i didnt have to sight mine it, came very well set from the factory for 30ft.

you can see it during the day. not as well but you can. the surface you hit is what is really the difference in daytime. nicely placed switch for on/off while finding what went bump in the night, hold it to turn it on, release for off. there is a master powerswitch (location depends on grip) mine its at the bottom rear of the grip wraparound.

i use it for getting more accurate/ridding myself of flinching.

they are also very good for making the BG think twice. the red dot says "This is where the shot will go, wanna see?". its almost as good as a pumpaction shotgun racking.

the Sig is the home-defense gun.

Lasermax makes the Guiderod replacement lasers, also nice i hear. not as nice of a control thou. its up at the takedown lever. on or off only, no ability to simply release the button hand have it turn off so you can hide.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a pair mounted on my Kimber 1911.
As Nova5 said, its a great tool for dry fire practice.  It holds a good zero and is unobtrusive when holstered.  If I'm carrying and don't want it to activate it while seated, there is a small kill switch on the bottom of the grip to turn it off.   The laser will never be a good alternative to good marksmanship, but it can help when training.  Also, it's fun to mess with my dogs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
lol messin with dogs, reminds me of what i did to my sisters cat. i was playing with a laser pointer, the the cat was chasing it around, brother is on a phonecall. him, me, sis , and his GF at the time(now wife) were laughing as teh cat chased the red dot. i run the cat near him and away. then put the red dot on his barefeet. WHAM! cat tags it with claws. all of us scept him get a laugh.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I can see the value of lasers for training, particularly for point shooting training.  But, in a test I ran at the local range I found It actually slowed me down to try and put the laser on the target and then squeeze off a shot.

It's all training I know, 100,000+ (at least) rounds with iron sights, 100 (at most) with a laser.  But I find, in my case, if I look at the target and draw my gun, the front sight falls right where I'm looking and the rear sight is good enough for government work.  With the laser I was searching for the dot, once I found it I could steer it onto the target.  Much slower in my case.

The only value I can see in a laser, for me, would be the intimidation factor... Ignore the laser, use the sights, and let the bad guy see the laser pointing to the point of impact.

My $.02

Kent
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks gents.  I do plan on using it for personnel defense and practice.  I like the Beretta.  It is nice and perfect for my hand.  I just need to get better at shooting.  I will not become dependent on the laser.

Max
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top