Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 10:18:04 AM EDT
I'm getting tired of using a powder trickler to weight my charges and am looking at getting an automatic powder dispenser. Which one do you guys like the best?

I'm also considering a Sinclair concentricity gauge, but can't decide between the dial indicator or the digital indicator.

Help me decide on the best way to treat myself for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#1]
RCBS Charge master. Little over $300 but RCBS still has the $50 rebate going on.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RCBS Charge master. Little over $300 but RCBS still has the $50 rebate going on.
View Quote

agree
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]
No issues with the RCBS?

How does it compare to the Hornady?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No issues with the RCBS?

How does it compare to the Hornady?
View Quote

I have trouble with my Hornady... I would say at least 50% of my charges go over even running on slow. I load to be dead on so maybe I am just being too picky.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#5]
A few of mine run over on the RCBS but that's not the fault of the machine.  More like the fault of using extruded powder.   It can't tell the difference between ball and extruded.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A few of mine run over on the RCBS but that's not the fault of the machine.  More like the fault of using extruded powder.   It can't tell the difference between ball and extruded.
View Quote

Have you tried the McDonald's straw mod?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read about that but I don't eat at McDonald's.  No seriously, It only happens in 1-2 out of 20 loads.   Thanks for the reminder.  I'll try that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Lyman 1200 DPSII. I have loaded several thousand rounds with it from .45ACP, .223. .308 , and never had a problem. This unit is very accurate, consistent, and it has been plugged in and turned on for about three years.
I would get the digital readout concentricity gauge, but I have old eyes. No other reason
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is a article that the OP might find useful comparing what the writer identifies as the three top-selling automatic powder dispensers on the market.

RCBS ChargeMaster Combo - Lyman 1200 DPS II - PACT Digital Dispenser/Scale - Digital Powder Dispensers

Here's another article titled Speed Up Your RCBS ChargeMaster
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here is a article that the OP might find useful comparing what the writer identifies as the three top-selling automatic powder dispensers on the market.

RCBS ChargeMaster Combo - Lyman 1200 DPS II - PACT Digital Dispenser/Scale - Digital Powder Dispensers

View Quote

Good stuff there.

And I'd like to add that the whole being able to speed up the RCBS puts an extra feather in its cap.

Whichever one you decide on... you can speed the process up even more by throwing a 3/4ish partial powder throw from  your powder measure and let the automatic powder dispenser "top off" the remaining charge.

And don't forget the "McDonalds" straw trick !

You might also consider the Hornady Ammunition Concentricity Tool.... you can "adjust" the round right there with the tool.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Ammunition-Concentricity-Tool/
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Charge Master first) Yes I id the straw mod and it works very well. It will take your 2 in 20 to 2 in 50 and the overage is seldom more than .2gr and this is with IMR-4064 and the other large stick powders.

I also did the speed mod. A conservative one. It's real easy to do sorry I didn't save the You Tube link.

Indicator)  As a career machinist and QA inspector for part of that time (goin on 30 years) I think a dial version will work much better for reading run out. With the dial indicator its purely a visual thing. You watch how much the needle moves.

With the digital you will go nuts trying to see the numbers while they fly by (change rapidly).

The dial being totally mechanical is more dependable too.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm also considering a Sinclair concentricity gauge, but can't decide between the dial indicator or the digital indicator.

Help me decide on the best way to treat myself for Christmas.
View Quote

The GEM dial indicator is exactly that, a gem!  Get the "analog" dial indicator, the GEM.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good stuff there.

And I'd like to add that the whole being able to speed up the RCBS puts an extra feather in its cap.

Whichever one you decide on... you can speed the process up even more by throwing a 3/4ish partial powder throw from  your powder measure and let the automatic powder dispenser "top off" the remaining charge.

You might also consider the Hornady Ammunition Concentricity Tool.... you can "adjust" the round right there with the tool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good stuff there.

I considered the Hornady concentricity tool, but it has a lot of people scratching their heads. How does it "correct" unconcentric rounds? It basically bends the projectile straight. It doesn't get to the heart of why the round is unconcentric in the first place. A regular concentricity tool may not be able to "correct" unconcentric rounds, but if I use it during each step of the loading process, I can nail down which step is introducing the run out and fix it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great info! I'm pretty much sold on the RCBS. There's just too many positive reviews for me to think about another unit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I considered the Hornady concentricity tool, but it has a lot of people scratching their heads. How does it "correct" unconcentric rounds? It basically bends the projectile straight. It doesn't get to the heart of why the round is unconcentric in the first place. A regular concentricity tool may not be able to "correct" unconcentric rounds, but if I use it during each step of the loading process, I can nail down which step is introducing the run out and fix it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good stuff there.

I have three concentricity gages, or is it four,... one of which is the Hornady.  I actually dislike the Hornady gage.  

The NECO gage with the GEM indicator is the best gage on the market.  None are super-fantastic but the NECO is the best of what's out there.

Edited to fix brain fart.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the GEM indicator the one that comes with it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is the GEM indicator the one that comes with it?
View Quote

I really screwed up.  <-- brain fart!

I meant to say the NECO is the best of the bunch.  I bought mine from Sinclair International and I blurred those two facts.  The NECO comes with the GEM indicator.

I own Sinclair, NECO and Hornady concentricity gages.  NECO is first, Sinclair's is second, Hornady is a distant last place.

Link to NECO gage at Sinclair

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#18]
RCBS Chargemaster.

I have loaded a few thousand with mine. The first one developed a dead spot and would not throw between 4.5 and 5.0 grains of 231 after about 8 months. I sent it back and they sent me a new one under warranty. The new one has been running fine for over a year.

They can be had for under $300 regularly. Short of a progressive press, it was the best money I spent on reloading in the last 15 years.

NOTE: The straw trick works great and it takes a can of compressed air to truly clean out all the powder.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 very nice piece of equipment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top