Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2002 5:10:32 AM EDT
I have been planning on an Armalite AR-10 as my next toy.  Any advice about reliability, accuracy, and quality vs. an M-1A??

Also, what about the different 20 round mags?  I see Armalite mags for around $100, but I've heard about adaptor kits to use the cheaper M14 mags (which I have a few).  Do these work well or reliably?  Any other types of compatible mags that are recommended?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have been planning on an Armalite AR-10 as my next toy.  Any advice about reliability, accuracy, and quality vs. an M-1A??

In general, the AR10 is more inherently accurate than the M1A.  As for reliability, the DESIGN seems to be about as reliable as an M1A, but the weak link is magazines.  If you convert them yourself you are running the risk of messing up, which could leave you with a mag that is not reliable.  The main problem I have seen with AR10 mags is rough spots on the follower that cause it to drag, making the cartridges nosedive.  If you get Armalite-converted mags, you can send them back for repair if they do this.

Also, what about the different 20 round mags?  I see Armalite mags for around $100, but I've heard about adaptor kits to use the cheaper M14 mags (which I have a few).  Do these work well or reliably?  Any other types of compatible mags that are recommended?

Your best bet is to send your M14 mags in to Armalite for conversion.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In general, the AR10 is more inherently accurate than the M1A.  As for reliability, the DESIGN seems to be about as reliable as an M1A, but the weak link is magazines.  If you convert them yourself you are running the risk of messing up, which could leave you with a mag that is not reliable.  The main problem I have seen with AR10 mags is rough spots on the follower that cause it to drag, making the cartridges nosedive.  If you get Armalite-converted mags, you can send them back for repair if they do this.

Your best bet is to send your M14 mags in to Armalite for conversion.

What he said.

One problem I had with my Armalite converted mags was the finish needed to be smoothed, in order for the follower to move up smoothly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]
AR10's do like to be run a bit more wet than an AR15 does. With the mags, I've found that when you modify them for the Armalite conversion kit, you need to clip off several wraps of the spring, otherwise you can't get all 20 rounds into the mag, and the spring pressure is so great that the mag has too much friction to feed, with the tendancy for the follower to nosedive. Also, I've noticed that you need to bend the top few wraps of the spring backwards, sometimes a great deal, to force the front of the follower up. I did find that my followers wouldn't slide freely inside the mag, many were would rub along the front ribs, and needed a bit of work with the dremel tool to operate freely.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The AR-10 is a great rifle. My mags cost me about $70 each. Check gunbroker for factory AR-10 mags your M1a mags to Armalite for a conversion. Armalite now requires that before placing an order for the "do it yourself conversion kit" you must send them a preban mag body. That sucks.
My recommendation is to buy some M14 mags and send them to Armalite for the conversion. They used to do 5 for $100. Anyone know if they still do this?

The two on the left are AR-10 mags. The right is an M1A mag

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My recommendation is to buy some M14 mags and send them to Armalite for the conversion. They used to do 5 for $100. Anyone know if they still do this?

Yeah, they still do the 5 for 100 bucks deal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my AR-10 about two months ago & I LOVE IT!!!!!  I have a G3 & used to have a L1A1 & have shot both a M-14 in the Marines & M1A from friends. The AR-10 is heads & shoulders above all in accuracy.

Nothing to adjust, just load & shoot. Clean it & lube it just like the AR-15. I used to lust after SA's M1A before I bought the AR-10. Now I'll probably never buy one since it'll be a step down in accuracy. Who was it that said, "Only accurate guns are interesting"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top