Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2002 4:18:13 PM EDT
Have been looking for a pistol for my wife for awhile. We don't have CCW law here in Mo yet, but she wants one that will fit that bill so it has to be somewhat comact (small enough for purse).

The major issue besides small and compact is recoil. She has recently (within the year) had carpal tunnel surgery on her wrists and I don't want anything that kicks too much so as not to aggrevate those joints and tendons.

But of course I'm worried about knockdown power as well.

She likes revolvers, but wouldn't be completely against an auto either.

So what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
When Michigan got CCW for non-rich non-party members we had the same problem.
My wife is also 5 foot tall.
We ended up with a Ladysmith N frame .357, the one with the formed grips.
The grips exactly fit her hands, the trigger is better then normal smiths, and the N in .357 soaks up most of the recoil of 38 specials.
It fits a purse fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife is 5" nothing and has had carpul release surgery on both wrists. She totes this Model 36 smith with a spring kit installed and 125 gr +p's.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Wife has carpal tunnel also , she ended up with a Bersa in 380 , she can even rack the slide of one with no problem . She couldn't do that with the Sig P230 I use to own .

P.S. She hates revolvers for some reason .
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot 25 rounds out of a glock 26 at glock days.
You really need to grip with the middle and ring fingers to make up for the lack of ability to get leverage from the little finger.
Not for someone with a wrist problem, I think.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info guys. Many great ideas. I'm suprised to see how many other people here have wives who have carpal tunnel.

I mostly shoot 9mm and haven't shot .38 through the .357 in awhile. Does the .38 really kick that much less?

Campy, I've also have been looking at some of the european loads but don't know that much about them. I've heard that some of the smaller models can have a bit of bite. Don't know if that will sit well with the lady. At some point I'm going to get one of those "exotic" euro pistolas for sure.

She really likes the shiny .357 revolvers. So I'd like to get her what she really wants.

But again, with her injury I'm still a little worried about the recoil even with .38

So I hate to ask the same question over again. But do you guys think the .38 (shot through a .357) wouldn't bother her?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I shot 25 rounds out of a glock 26 at glock days.
You really need to grip with the middle and ring fingers to make up for the lack of ability to get leverage from the little finger.
Not for someone with a wrist problem, I think.

that problem is easily eliminated with grip extensions.  replace the floor plate of the factory glock mag with one of these puppies and viola!  no more problems.  both my 26s have been so altered.

Quoted:
So I hate to ask the same question over again. But do you guys think the .38 (shot through a .357) wouldn't bother her?

how does she handle .38s through a .38?  the .38s through the .357 might be a tad easier to handle than .38s through the .38s, but the difference won't be drastic.  but if she's going for concealability, you'd want no more than a 4" bbl.  keep in mind that short barrel length is going to affect that to some degree too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it's great that your wife wants to get gun.  If you can, try to find someone that can let her shoot their glock 19.  A glock 19c would be better yet because it is ported.  There is not much to shooting glocks.  That is why I think it is a great self-defense pistol for people who do not have the time to train very often.  This model is chambered for the 9mm cartridge.  I have a glock 21c which is a ported full size .45 caliber pistol.  It has very little recoil at all.  Actually the smaller the gun is, the more recoil you will have and feel given the same type of ammo.  I also have a  smith and wesson ladysmith snubbie revolver in .38 special.  It has way more felt recoil shooting mild loads that my glock 45 or kimber 45 has shooting 230 grain Federal Hydra shocks.  I highly recommend that she try shooting different types and sizes of guns before buying one.  It will be worth the effort.  I am sure there are a few helpful fellows out there willing to help out with their little arsenals.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#11]
we're looking for a few good handgunners...lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:33:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Since your wife already has problems with her wrists I suggest that light is no the way to go.
It's just physics.
SGB is there except she might need something with a little more weight to help her witht the recoil.
Maybe a SW 19 with a short bbl and light loads.
Also a Kahr 9mm is small but has a lot of weight, if she handle racking th slide.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#14]
The only pistol my wife will fire is my S&W 317 kit gun. It's a lightweight .22lr (aluminum frame and cylinder) 8 shot, revolver with a 3" barrel. Although, I wish that she could handle a more potent firearm, I am confident that she would grab the .22 if she need to use it for self defense. I told her that if you shoot someone with it, that it will hurt (them) like hell and its more effective then scratching them with her keys.

This maybe a little OT but....My wife was a borderline anti but she has a open mind. Once I showed her gun safety and how I lock up my firearms, she started to feel a little more comfortable. What really "converted" her was when there was a man in my neighborhood climbing through windows at night. She told me that she felt better about being able to defend herself and our children.....and so did I. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#15]
With limited experience and physical abilities a S&W 640 loaded with Federal Chiefs Special load ( 125 gr.Nyclad )

Easy to use and operate with low recoil.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife is very partial to my SS Taurus 605.  Its a snub .357 with excellent factory grips.  The 605 is slightly larger (and heavier) but its more controlable.  BTW, they're real shiny!  ZT
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I know some will say it's a mouse gun,but have you looked at the 32mag.Low recoil,small package,and more power than most people think.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#19]
As an avid Glock fan, the one thing I don't recommend it for is a purse gun. Given a womans tenency to drop stuff in the various compartments. The passive safe action trigger is a liability when anything other than the gun occupies the compartment. As I don't know what her limitations are, a well tuned hammerless revolver, in the largest cali. she can shoot would be my .02. My shooting lady has 3 revolvers lady smith lightweight, S&W 3" .38, Colt Python 4". She finds the light weight w/ short grips the most difficult to shoot well, Python too heavy, the 3" SW was what I gave her and that's what's working best so far.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.  

All kidding aside, my wife likes her PPK and her Ruger SP-101 in .357 with .38s.  Both are small enough to fit a purse or waistband.  Considered trading her PPK in and getting a SIG P232.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
SIG-Sauer P-225
SIG-Sauer P-228
SIG-Sauer P-239

Can you tell that I like SIGS?

Small & concealable.
9mm has plenty of power on the receiving end, despite what some folks may tell you.

CDNN was running a special on the P-225 a month or so ago. Don't know if they have any left or not.

My wife has a P-228 & absolutely LOVES it...

For a revolver, I'd go with a *&* 442 in .38 Special. Hammerless design helps to avoid snags when drawing it from concealment.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I have to go with Troy on the G19 and the G26 second with the Pierce grip extensions on the G26 mags.
I would avoid a compensated pistol due to the  flash, noise and if you have to fire it from a retention positon near your side you run the risk of crap flying up in your face and eyes.
The fewer distactions, such as blindness in a gunfight the better!

Lee
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#23]
If she chooses a safe-action pistol such as a Glock, get her a dedicated gun purse where the gun is in a separate compartment.
THis should eliminate the issue of somehting getting in the trigger and causing a Negdis.
Lee
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Depends on her preference I guess.  There's more to choosing gun than size and low recoil.  You have to consider weight, grip size, sights, among others.  Have her go to a range with decent selection of rentals guns.  Have her try some before making the purchase.  You shouldn't buy a gun because of good reviews on the magazine, recommedation from others, and price.  I'm saying this because I own several guns that I seriously regret buying.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Step one, never attempt to choose a handgun for your wife.  Thats a BAD idea!  Trust me, I know.  Anyway, I finally took the wife out shopping for a gun and let her get what she wanted, not what I wanted for her.  She picked the Kahr K9.  Its a full stainless 9mm that has some weight to it so the recoil isnt bad at all.  Now she wakes me up on days off and asks if we can go shooting.  I love this woman!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top