Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 12:00:55 AM EDT
A good friend of mine passed away a couple years ago. Terrible story. The world lost one of the greatest dudes you could have ever met.
This spring I finally bought his Dillon 650 press from his widow.
I've never once used a progressive press, and it makes me feel like a rookie just looking at it.
I've been reloading on a single stage RCBS press for almost ten years, doing about 7 rifle calibers.

Long story short it came with seven of these.... I'll call them "stages"
The only two I'll probably keep are the 9mm and 223 stages.

The rest are like .40, .45, 45LC etc. I think he also had 44 and .50AE but I haven't done inventory on them all yet.

How much are each of these stages worth if i were to sell the ones for calibers I don't need ?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tool heads, not stages.

Check Dillion's website for the going price new.

Normal used price is 75-80% of new.
View Quote
Thank you.
Not even knowing the right term made it tough to find anything on dillons website a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Learn how to use it and wait to sell, you might find that you want everything
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Honestly Those are mostly calibers I don't even have pistols of.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A good friend of mine passed away a couple years ago. Terrible story. The world lost one of the greatest dudes you could have ever met.
This spring I finally bought his Dillon 650 press from his widow.
I've never once used a progressive press, and it makes me feel like a rookie just looking at it.
I've been reloading on a single stage RCBS press for almost ten years, doing about 7 rifle calibers.

Long story short it came with seven of these.... I'll call them "stages"
The only two I'll probably keep are the 9mm and 223 stages.

The rest are like .40, .45, 45LC etc. I think he also had 44 and .50AE but I haven't done inventory on them all yet.

How much are each of these stages worth if i were to sell the ones for calibers I don't need ?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27901/IMG_5267-287029.JPG
View Quote

More specifically...those would be called "dedicated toolheads".

What you have there in that pic is like a conglomeration of two Dillon product groupings.

one is the Dillon "650 quick change" which consists of 4 things:

1.  powder measure
2.  powder die
3.  toolhead
4.  toolhead stand (not in your pucture)

That is $113.

Then what else you have pictured there are the Dillon dies...a 3 die set to.be specific.

What you don't have pictured at all is the caliber conversion kits, which look like this:

Those are $79.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Another way to look up parts and their 'new' cost is to use the Dillon conversion tool. It will provide the Dillon part number for each component in a caliber conversion/change-over kit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got done selling my 550 a few months ago.  Sold almost all of it in 24 hours priced at 80% of Dillon shipped.  If you price it that way it will move fast.  Please feel free IM me if you help with anything.  It's a bummer but you will not have any problem selling it quickly priced right.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Honestly Those are mostly calibers I don't even have pistols of.
View Quote
Just part out the dies then.

The tool head and powder measure are used for every caliber.

What calibers do you shoot?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Those are quick change kits with dies.  QC kit is around $125..Dies start at $45 and go up from there.  

There are also probably bits and pieces called caliber change kits, consisting of buttons, shell plate, bushings, and shell guides. 

Heh.....someone faster than me. I just bought another QC kit  and CC kit a few days ago. 

Buy it all.  Trust me, you need EVERYTHING there!!!!

Even calibers I never would thought of reloading, I am now reloading.  .30-06 is next on my list. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]

So here's what I ended up with.

Calibers I'll KEEP - 9mm and 223

Calibers I WONT need
40 cal, 10mm, .50AE, .45ACP, .45 Long Colt, .45 GAP

I may part some of this stuff out to save some of the bases and powder measures for putting 308,30-06 and 6.5 Grendel dies into.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I currently only reload rifle ammo.
223,6.5 Grendel, 308, 3006, 7.62x54r and 8mm Mauser
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
new from Dillon...those powder measures
are $82 each.

I would keep everyone of them if I was you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Learn to reload all the calibers you plan to. Learn how to reconfigure for each and learn which parts are common and/or unique to each. Don't sell anything until you have it all figured out. I say give it 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#14]
In case you haven't figured it out yet, from that picture the press has primers in it.  

I wouldn't think setting up the 650 for each of your rifle calibers would make sense unless you shoot alot.  Although I could see 308/30-06 (they uses the same conversion kit)   
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In case you haven't figured it out yet, from that picture the press has primers in it.  

I wouldn't think setting up the 650 for each of your rifle calibers would make sense unless you shoot alot.  Although I could see 308/30-06 (they uses the same conversion kit)   
View Quote
The press still has 40 brass and powder in it too. My friends condition turned really bad, fast. The press and reloading bench was untouched for two years. Left just the way he last used it.

The main reason I bought the press was just to hopefully speed up brass prep for my rifle rounds.  I work 70-80 hours a week most months so if I can make the sloooooooow brass prep go faster..... sit down and knock out a couple hundred cases then maybe when I'm not in a hurry the final reloading with my single stage might not be so bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm with the others sell nothing for now if you think you will be setting up other calibers.  I currently load 5 3 pistol and 223, 308 and use 2 tool heads per rifle caliber.  Also have I tool head set up for everything you load is really nice so you can leave everything set up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#17]
That all makes a ton of sense what you guys are saying about keeping the tool heads. I'll probably keep those and just buy the dies I need then get to learning
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#18]
dump the powder in those measures, torch it or use as fertilzer

All you really is one powder set up with the small powder bar and one with the large - for pistol and rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top