Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:42:13 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to send in a trust for a Form 1 SBR, and have several questions.  I was told to send in the entire trust, including assignment of property, 2 filled out, original form 1s, and certificate of compliance, along with $200.  My question is, I've seen conflicting reports on whether or not to include the receiver in the Schedule A section of the trust.  Do most just leave it blank, as it is not yet a NFA weapon until the ATF approves it?  Second, if you do include the assignment of property, do you simply leave that section blank as well due to the last?

Thanks,
Zach
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The lower might not be an NFA item yet, but it is owned by the trust and should be on your "schedule A" or whatever you call your list of items owned by the trust.  We have had discussions here that went both ways, but no one said they got delayed for listing the lower, only ones delays were those that did NOT.  I think it was Tony K that said, "no one ever got denied for sending too much information."  You already gave Martinsburg your address and the serial number of the lower.  What can it hurt to put it in your schedule A?  Just Sayin!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
TitleII, that makes perfect sense, I guess the only way it shouldn't be listed is if it's for an item such as a Form 1 suppressor.  Thanks!

Zach
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
In Texas a trust must have an asset in it to be a valid trust.  If you aren't going to go ahead and put the receiver in it, I would recommend putting one dollar in it just so your trust is valid.  Just put "One Dollar Federal Reserve note, serial number 12345678" on your schedule A.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Texas a trust must have an asset in it to be a valid trust.  If you aren't going to go ahead and put the receiver in it, I would recommend putting one dollar in it just so your trust is valid.  Just put "One Dollar Federal Reserve note, serial number 12345678" on your schedule A.

Yea my understanding is that a lot of states have this requirement for the trust to be valid. As you are converting an existing firearm to a sbr I'd have the firearm in the schedule A showing that the trust now owns it. Per the lawyer that drafted my trust it had 10 bucks put into it to make it valid. We threw the ar in it when I went to pick it up(yes the 10 bucks is with the trust paperwork).
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
All trusts need property or they are not valid.  However, some could argue that equitable title has passed despite legal title not passing to the trust UNTIL the BATFE sign off.  Of course, if they disapprove, then has equitable title passed?  Might as well assign some property to the trust prior to the approval.

In your case, you can pass the title of the receiver / AR to the trust, and it just becomes an approved SBR upon approval (approved for sbr).

You do not need a cert of compliance with Trust as indicated in the ATF handbook. http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

However, you may include it, and most people do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
TitleII, that makes perfect sense, I guess the only way it shouldn't be listed is if it's for an item such as a Form 1 suppressor.  Thanks!

Zach

I always list all the NFA items on Schedule A, as well as send 2 copies of the Trust.  They can shred it it easier than I can send another copy.

No issues so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top