Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2002 4:09:01 PM EDT
Put together an A-1, all military, 20" upper. It shoots about 10 clicks to the left at 25 yards on a standard A-1 military target.

I do not have enough sight adjustment to get the groups centered up. Any suggestions? This is a really neat setup, but it sucks that it won't shoot well.

Is there anyway to tweak the barrel or something to get the sights lined up better? What would make the sights so far off?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
if you don't get an answer here, consider reposting down on Dave_G's "Maintenance & Cleaning Forum" - those guys that hang out down there are GOOD !
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Put together an A-1, all military, 20" upper. It shoots about 10 clicks to the left at 25 yards on a standard A-1 military target.

I do not have enough sight adjustment to get the groups centered up. Any suggestions? This is a really neat setup, but it sucks that it won't shoot well.

Is there anyway to tweak the barrel or something to get the sights lined up better? What would make the sights so far off?

Thanks

As long as the bullet is not stricking the FS on the way out, this could be a easy fix.

The front sight is canted to the right as you look down the barrel.  To fix the problem, remove the barrel and shim the trunion pin to pull the sight back to a zero index.  

If you run out of room to shim, the trunion/barrel exstenstion may have been torqued wrong and the sight tower and exstention pin may be out of alinement.  If this is the case, then you can remove the solid pins in the front sight and replace them with set screws to allow adjustment to the front sight tower.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured this was probably the problem. I'll get on it tomorrow.

You guys really rock. What a plethora of info.

Troy, as ususal. you the man.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Your front sight is off-center.  That is your front sight is rotated a bit off to the side; it's not in the "straight-up" position on your barrel.  If you look carefully at your front sight you'll notice that this is the case.  Once you get this rectified, by either shifting it yourself or having the/a factory/gunsmith fix it, your problem will be gone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks

In the book "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO AR-15 ACCURACY," BY Derrick Martin & Barrett Tillman, read "ZEROING PROBLEMS" on page 237, and look at the picture on page 238.

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top