Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2008 7:11:43 AM EDT
I cannot find the other thread with a list.

here is the blue kool-aid love:

550B
dies 9mm, 380, 38/357,
3 conversion kits  
4 tool head
4 powder dies
flip tray
roller handle
spare pick up tubes
case gauges

Horndy reloading book

RCBS X-die for .223

This I am not sure about. Will the adapter run the trimmer, and the RCBS deburring tool on a drill press?

Possum hollow case trimmer

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=127743

Possum Hollow Chamfer and Deburring Tool Power Adapter
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=295771

RCBS Chamfer and Deburring Tool 17 to 45 Caliber
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=143728

case lube.

I think thats it??

Stuff I have are a tumbler, caliper, and scale.

So will the trimmer and deburrer work together?

And am I missing any thing??

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/27/2008 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly I would not bother with the X-Die.. I almost bought that but I went with a lee instead, and I have not had much trimming to do, provided you don't shoot maximum loads which stretch the brass a lot...  I hardly ever have to trim my brass... everything else looks good though.

I'd go with frankfort armory or dillion spray for case lube.

I can't comment on the power adaptor/etc because I don't have that.. I use a lee power drill kit in my drill. Takes time but like I said I don't need to trim my brass very often, however I will be looking into a hollow myself soon enough.

Also, to add that i would recommend a lyman handloading/reloading book. Good info in there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You're almost there, from www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=486

Recommended Equipment - Progressive Press

Brass prep:
- primer pocket cleaner
- primer pocket uniformer
- primer pocket swager
- tumbler
- tumbling media
- media separator
- media polish

Press:
- progressive
- caliber conversion kit with a shell plate and powder funnel or charging die

Sizing and bullet seating:
- case lube (rifle only)
- dies

Priming:
- primer flipper tray
- extra primer pickup tubes

Trimming:
- calipers
- case gage
- deburring tool
- powered trimmer

Powder dispensing:
- the measure included with the press (although the measures from other makers can sometimes be substituted)

Scale
- electronic scale

Screw ups:
- bullet puller
- stuck case remover
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You're almost there, from www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=486

Recommended Equipment - Progressive Press

Brass prep:
- primer pocket cleaner
- primer pocket uniformer
- primer pocket swager
- tumbler
- tumbling media have
- media separator
- media polish have

Press:
- progressive
- caliber conversion kit with a shell plate and powder funnel or charging die

Sizing and bullet seating:
- case lube (rifle only) listed
- dies

Priming:
- primer flipper tray
- extra primer pickup tubes

Trimming:
- calipers
- case gage
- deburring tool
- powered trimmer

Powder dispensing:
- the measure included with the press (although the measures from other makers can sometimes be substituted)

Scale
- electronic scale

Screw ups:
- bullet puller forgot I have one
- stuck case remover I have tap and die sets that can work

So that leaves me needing

- primer pocket cleaner = scwer driver?

- primer pocket uniformer.. I have no clue what that is, runns off to google.

- primer pocket swager.. argg I am leaning to the dillon 600.

- media separater.. oh ya
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So that leaves me needing

- primer pocket cleaner = scwer driver?

- primer pocket uniformer.. I have no clue what that is, runns off to google.

- primer pocket swager.. argg I am leaning to the dillon 600.

- media separater.. oh ya

Hornady primer pocket reamer and cleaner (2 separate items) come in handy.  Here's a pic of them.

You can use the reamer in lieu of a primer pocket swager like that from Dillon, but I use the Dillon, it's faster.  I use the Hornady reamer for touch ups when the swager didn't quite get it done.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:You can use the reamer in lieu of a primer pocket swager like that from Dillon, but I use the Dillon, it's faster.  I use the Hornady reamer for touch ups when the swager didn't quite get it done.

roger that, I plan on loading pistol ammo for a few weeks to get my rhythm? Until I feel ready I will be prepping .223 cases. Lubing, decapping, resizing, trimming, deburring, chamfering, reaming, cleaning and storing for later.

reamer, cleaner, separator on the list now.

Um will the trimmer, and deburrer work with the power adaptor I listed earlier?

Side note I am running close to $1,500 and I am doing this on the cheap

Thanks for helping me walking me throgh this
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

roger that, I plan on loading pistol ammo for a few weeks to get my rhythm? Until I feel ready I will be prepping .223 cases. Lubing, decapping, resizing, trimming, deburring, chamfering, reaming, cleaning and storing for later.

reamer, cleaner, separator on the list now.

Um will the trimmer, and deburrer work with the power adaptor I listed earlier?

Side note I am running close to $1,500 and I am doing this on the cheap

Thanks for helping me walking me throgh this

Yes the Possum Hollow deburring tool adapter is designed to be used with their trimmer.  In fact the trimmer is sort of useless without it.  It should fit the deburring tool but you dont really need one for a deburring tool and in fact it's probably not a good idea to use one with a deburring tool as deburring just needs a light touch and a half twist.  Any extra force and you'll be making knife edges on your case instead of removing burrs

Here's a recent thread on where to get the Possum Hollow stuff if Midway is out of stock www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=252248

Here's a pic of the PH trimmer and holder

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
ok last one, Do I need or want an (AT 500 Auto Eject System)?

Oh and how long does it take one to change a powder measure, from say 9mm toolhead to 223 tool head?

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No, that's one upgrade of several to upgrade the no longer offered AT500 to 550B specs, your 550B is already at 550B specs
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, that's one upgrade of several to upgrade the no longer offered AT500 to 550B specs, your 550B is already at 550B specs

ok that makes sence, I was reading about and seeing used 550s with them.

But what about the powder measure?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#10]
you need one with both a large and small powder bar, one comes standard with the press, I was asssuming you had one already.  Post pics of what you got let's see what else is missing or just to dillonprecision.com and read the Dillon 550B manual and look at the exploded parts diagram.

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok that makes sence, I was reading about and seeing used 550s with them.

But what about the powder measure?

If you go with Lee Dies, you could save about $40 and get their Auto Disk measure.  These work fine with a 550B and are a bit faster to swap out tool heads.  Newest line of Lee dies have longer threads and greater chamfers for use on progressives.

If you swap measures, you have to setup the charge, without the micrometer charge bar, it is slow.  The Auto Disk is faster, just swap out the disk.  Fixed, cannot go wrong.  With a calculator and their VMD chart, it is easy for load development too.

With the Dillon measure, it is easy to remove from the powder die, just two screws and the op rod with pops off.  The slow part is adjusting for proper charge.

Before the revolt, remember, Dillon uses the Lee Patent on powder through the expanding die and case actuated powder dispensing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
you need one with both a large and small powder bar, one comes standard with the press, I was asssuming you had one already.  Post pics of what you got let's see what else is missing or just to dillonprecision.com and read the Dillon 550B manual and look at the exploded parts diagram.

Stuff I have;

tumbers/media

calipers

RCDS 5-10 beam scale

bullet puller

Not much right now.

but every I want to place my order work bitts me in the ass.

I do have 2500-3K bullets in 380 ,38/357 in lead, and JHP from 95 to 125 grain

and a full 50 cal ammo can of 380 primed, one of 9mm primmed, one of 38 spl primed, and 1.25 30cal cans primed.

2k 9mm brass, 1500 .38 brass, 1k 357mag, and 8,700 .223 all tumbered

1600 small pistol primers

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#13]
sorry, list of what you have 550B wise, sounds like it don't come with a powder measure or auto eject kit?  Maybe it's missing other stuff as well
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
sorry, list of what you have 550B wise, sounds like it don't come with a powder measure or auto eject kit?  Maybe it's missing other stuff as well

sorry i will be getting new onw. It is that there are just SO many choices. like strong mount, bullet trays, bens, roller handles both plastic and metal, quick change kit or buy what you need separate, standard dies and coated, low powder sensor, low primer sensor, niffty tool kit mount and on and on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I would recommend trying the Auto Disk with Lee dies for the .380 . The smaller charges are better handled by this measure.  If you don't want to get a Lee dies set, the powder through expander die is the same price as a Dillon powder die.  And the measure is half the cost.

I run both the Auto Disk for .45 ACP and the Perfect Powder Measure with the Universal die for rifle reloading on my 550.  The PPM works great with extruded.  Functions automatically, pefectly.  And the extreme spread is less than 0.10 grain with Varget.

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I would recommend trying the Auto Disk with Lee dies for the .380 . The smaller charges are better handled by this measure.  If you don't want to get a Lee dies set, the powder through expander die is the same price as a Dillon powder die.  And the measure is half the cost.

I run both the Auto Disk for .45 ACP and the Perfect Powder Measure with the Universal die for rifle reloading on my 550.  The PPM works great with extruded.  Functions automatically, pefectly.  And the extreme spread is less than 0.10 grain with Varget.

do you have photos or links to this style of set up?
I have watched many many videos on youtube about the 550 and its powder system. I would like see and understand how this works...
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have watched many many videos on youtube about the 550 and its powder system. I would like see and understand how this works...

Here is one using the Auto Disk.  It works just like a Dillon, or should I say the Dillon works exactly like the Lee as Richard Lee owns the patent that Dillon uses

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpN9iYOyE8

As you can see from the revolving tool head, there is no connection with the measure and the ram.  But Lee makes a pull chain that is used on some setups without the spring.  Either or.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is one using the Auto Disk.  It works just like a Dillon, or should I say the Dillon works exactly like the Lee as Richard Lee owns the patent that Dillon uses

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpN9iYOyE8

As you can see from the revolving tool head, there is no connection with the measure and the ram.  But Lee makes a pull chain that is used on some setups without the spring.  Either or.

That does look slick, If I can find for shipped less or the same as the price I would be paying I will do it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good, I would consider the Dillon case trimmer, they resize and trim in one stroke. I have one set up in single stage press, and it works out very well.

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, I was assuming you got one and it was missing stuff, but understand you're getting a new one.

Nice optional features are the strong mount which will allow you to use their bullet tray.  You can't really use their bullet tray without the strong mount.

The low powder sensor is unnecessary, just look at the see thru powder measure and see if it's low, if it is, add powder.

The allen wrench set is nice but the press will come with all the allen wrenches you'll need.  If your workbench is messy and you're always digging around to find the right allen wrench, it's nice to have the strong mount mounted allen wrench set.

Get an extra tool head and powder die for each caliber you'll plan to use and swap the powder measure out from toolhead to toolhead.

The 550B comes with the low primer sensor.

I suggest getting 4 extra small and large primer pick up tubes, the press comes iwth one each already, so you'll have enough tubes to load up 500 primers with.

The maintenance kit is uncessary but nice.  Dillon will send you any broken or lost parts for free.  The advantage of the maintenance kit is you wont have the down time from when you lose or break a part, call Dillon, and waiting for it to arrive in mail.

The machine cover is nice as well but you can use a pillow case or big plastic bag.

I don't have the roller handle on mine.

In short: get extra toolhead and powder die for each additional caliber, extra pick up tubes.  You can get the cover, strong mount, bullet tray, allen wrench set, extra powder measure for each additional caliber -  down the road.

Here's what my 550B looks like:

One more option is to skip using their cheezy multi tool wrench to loosen or tighten die lock rings and get a big ol' socket with flex joint:

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I have seen that dillon trimmerr before on a 650, decap, resize, and trim with one pull. But for a few dollors more you get a bad ass Grinal*sp.

That are many add ons that are nice but to do not need.

And thanks for the tip with the deep scoket.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
PB and J for breakfast, and Ramon noodles for dinner

I placed my order and now I do the Brown Man Xmas dance
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top