Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 8:37:20 PM EDT
I mailed my order form to the CMP last Tuesday, and my SA SG will be here tommorow.  I put a little note asking for a late production rifle and the serial number is 587XXXX, I can't wait to go shooting Saturday.   A happy coincendence is that my ammo from ammoman should arrive tommorow too.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool - Garands ARE a classic, and I think everyone should own atleast one... Congrats,

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I may be getting one soon, what kind did you get?????
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
First, it arrived, and I took it apart cleaned it and got it back together.  I ordered a Springfield Armory Service Grade.  

The bore looks really nice, and so does rest of the metal on the rifle, but the stock doesn't look so hot.  It is well loved with lots of dings and gouges and three diferent painted numbers (rack numbers?) and it had some very old masking tape stuck to it, but it is solid so no big deal.  I may try the dishwasher method to strip it and refinsh or maybe I'll just leave it and eventually get a new stock set.

The tag on the rifle said SA, G-3, US, does anyone know what the G-3 means?  Overal I am very pleased, I can't wait to go shoot it.  

Sorry about no pics, I need to buy a digital camera but keep buying guns.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
First, it arrived, and I took it apart cleaned it and got it back together.  I ordered a Springfield Armory Service Grade.  

The bore looks really nice, and so does rest of the metal on the rifle, but the stock doesn't look so hot.  It is well loved with lots of dings and gouges and three diferent painted numbers (rack numbers?) and it had some very old masking tape stuck to it, but it is solid so no big deal.  I may try the dishwasher method to strip it and refinsh or maybe I'll just leave it and eventually get a new stock set.

The tag on the rifle said SA, G-3, US, does anyone know what the G-3 means?  Overal I am very pleased, I can't wait to go shoot it.  

Sorry about no pics, I need to buy a digital camera but keep buying guns.

Brian

G-3=Grade 3 or Service (SG) Grade

If you want tips on how to refinish the stock (clean, stain and oil) got to check out Refinishing tips

Have fun!

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A happy coincendence is that my ammo from ammoman should arrive tommorow too.  

If you bought Korean ammo from Ammoman, make sure you clean the gun as if the ammo was corrosive (soap / water / ammonia / etc.).  TRUST ME ON THIS.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have read a bunch at battlerifles.com about the Korean ammo and it appears that the stuff on clips is corrosive, and soapy/ammonia water or windex with ammonia is all you need to clean with right after shooting, so I had planned on doing that.  The problem is that the ammo didn't arrive, the 9mm I ordered was on my doorstep but the .30-06 was not.  The messed up part is that UPS tracking shows it delivered I got no help from the local UPS station, so on monday I get to call and have them start a trace.  

I picked up a few clips w/ ammo at the local store so I can go shoot it tommorow, the head stamps are FN 58 and 59.

Thanks for the link on stock refinishing, I might have to try it, if I ruin the stock the Boyds sets aren't to unreasonably priced.  A friend looked at it and said it looked like it had been dropped a lot.  But he now is interested in ordering one too, serves him right he got me into AR's.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top