Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2011 3:17:41 PM EDT
Hello,

I have a Marlin 336 (no C or CS) serial number 26007xxx. I picked it up used, and I think it is stock, and seems to have only a moderate amount of wear, probably more from carrying than firing. It does shoot just fine. But the lever acts differently than a similar 336, and my friends 336CS. The lever will only stay shut if you keep your grip on it. Otherwise it springs out, to the position shown in the photo below. Obviously, it wont fire like this, you have to pull it tight to fire. But it physically springs back out if you dont grip it.

But the other 336 I have, the lever, when operated similarly, will stay in "clicked in" close to the stock and ready to fire, even if you release your grip. This other 336 (serial 18134xxx ) is also from the same era, though it has no gold trigger. This one is hardly used at all. But the lever functions distinctly differently.

Is some part worn out on my gold trigger marlin? Is it something I can replace? Or should I just grip it real tight and just shoot it? I ask because this it works so differently than my other Marlin. On the plus side, I loaded up some light plinker loads, 100gr short jacket, with trail boss, and got 2 - 2 1/2" at 100 yards. Not all groups were this tight, but I thought it was pretty good for my setup.

Thanks, Brian

See where the lever is? It springs out there as soon as you release your grip.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/treeclimber250/marlin/IMG_0303-1.jpg
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Like GunnyG said. Replace the spring and/or plunger on the lever.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If the parts are there a good cleaning will usually fix the problem.
Sometimes the parts are clean and the spring tension is fine but the tip of the plunger is worn.
You can use a stone to bring back the edge vs replace the plunger.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Like GunnyG said. Replace the spring and/or plunger on the lever.

This. +1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top