Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2010 4:16:25 PM EDT
I searched if this has been covered, and apologize if it has-

Im looking at a Plinkster for the rat problem in our barn(the barn cat is NOT doing his job) I was thinking 22 shorts would be best, they do about 1k FPS IIRC and was wondering if they can be used in this gun

If not anyone have a suggestion for the appropriate 22 round?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Virtually any .22LR bolt gun will fire .22Short if they're fed one rd at a time. Generally speaking, they won't feed in a LR-designed mag too often. (Marlin used to make some models that fed LR, L & S, but I haven't seen one in a while.)

But to answer your question, yes, shorts will be just fine. There's also the option of the loose-shot-in-a-case ammo in .22 caliber. I've read mixed results with this stuff but have never used it myself.

Another option would be a pellet gun in the 1000-1200f/p/s range. Much safer for the neighbors with a pellet gun, perhaps?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Won't the short be too short to chamber correctly?

My grandfather was saying that he could load .22lr one at a time into his .22 short rifle and I had the same question.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#3]
A .22LR rd shouldn't chamber in a rifle that's designed exclusively for .22 Shorts, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, that's how I felt. I think that maybe he thought he could do that, but hadn't actually tried it. I don't think that gun has been fired for about 30 years anyway.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Another option would be a pellet gun in the 1000-1200f/p/s range. Much safer for the neighbors with a pellet gun, perhaps?

Thats why i liked the idea of 22 shorts, they only do about 1K FPS same as a BB gun so Id have a 22 to plink with and a safer rat killer

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
As much as I like my son's Mossberg I would not recommand it for the fact the loading port is small to get a .22 short in.  I would prefer the more sporting use of a Ruger/Smith revolver with CB caps.  Use a Surefire light and clear the barn for training!

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top