Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2010 4:16:25 PM EDT
I searched if this has been covered, and apologize if it has-

Im looking at a Plinkster for the rat problem in our barn(the barn cat is NOT doing his job) I was thinking 22 shorts would be best, they do about 1k FPS IIRC and was wondering if they can be used in this gun

If not anyone have a suggestion for the appropriate 22 round?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 3:24:39 AM EDT
Virtually any .22LR bolt gun will fire .22Short if they're fed one rd at a time. Generally speaking, they won't feed in a LR-designed mag too often. (Marlin used to make some models that fed LR, L & S, but I haven't seen one in a while.)

But to answer your question, yes, shorts will be just fine. There's also the option of the loose-shot-in-a-case ammo in .22 caliber. I've read mixed results with this stuff but have never used it myself.

Another option would be a pellet gun in the 1000-1200f/p/s range. Much safer for the neighbors with a pellet gun, perhaps?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:48:36 AM EDT
Won't the short be too short to chamber correctly?

My grandfather was saying that he could load .22lr one at a time into his .22 short rifle and I had the same question.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:45:37 AM EDT
A .22LR rd shouldn't chamber in a rifle that's designed exclusively for .22 Shorts, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:42:28 AM EDT
Thanks, that's how I felt. I think that maybe he thought he could do that, but hadn't actually tried it. I don't think that gun has been fired for about 30 years anyway.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:36:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BobCole:

Another option would be a pellet gun in the 1000-1200f/p/s range. Much safer for the neighbors with a pellet gun, perhaps?

Thats why i liked the idea of 22 shorts, they only do about 1K FPS same as a BB gun so Id have a 22 to plink with and a safer rat killer

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:29:52 AM EDT
As much as I like my son's Mossberg I would not recommand it for the fact the loading port is small to get a .22 short in.  I would prefer the more sporting use of a Ruger/Smith revolver with CB caps.  Use a Surefire light and clear the barn for training!

CD
Top Top