Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2001 12:55:11 PM EDT
Ok here is the deal.......

I like the M1 Carbine,but the Garand is a far better gun and I wanted to be able to shot out to 200 or 300 yards.

So I found a Mini 30.
It's not 7.62x39,as you know NOT .308 but better that .30 carbine at that range.

This is my first and only nonmilitary long gun and I don't really know what to think,I don't it yet it should be in next Tus.

Can I get some feed back on this gun?
It's made just like a M1 from what I can see so I think it should be a great gun,is it?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
BIG BORE:

I posted my opinion of the mini-30 on the "mini 14" discussion that has been going on in this forum for the last two days.
Karl
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
don't want hicaps.
I have 2 ARs a FAL and a Mossberg590,I'm not going to look for the Mimi30 if TSHTF.

Is it a good gun with the five round mag it comes with?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never heard a good thing about a mini-30.
Epsecially in the area of accuracy at 100 yards.
4" groups would require a professional shooter.
if you want a smaller big bore gun, get the MAK-90 or a standard AK-47, they are actaully more accurate and there are more reliable magazines for them. not to mention more goodies.

However I do not have any first hand experience with the mini-30. I have just been told from many repected opinions not to even touch one if I like accuracy!
Who doesn't like accuracy?

-Chuck
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I like mine....it easily does the 4" groups with iron sights.....better with a scope....umc ammo works fine....and the six aftermarket mags work good too.......only shot a couple hundred rounds of the russian...it was filthy.....umc and s&b work for it.......put a brake on it...ramline stock...and a old winchester butt pad....it`s not like the m-2...but a WHOLE lot better than the sks paratroop...that did 12" groups at 100 yrds......the brake is to add a little weight to the front and with the plastic stock it`s balanced out nicely.....well made...reliable......
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Big Bore:

I bought the mini-30 for hunting close quarters blacktail deer in the dense brush thickets of western Oregon. The rifle is perfect for this as it is quick to shoulder, shoots a powerful enough round for these types of critters, low recoiling, and accurate enough (minute of deer!) to do the job at 100 yards.

But, I sold mine because I am a precision freak and worked very hard with my handloads and trigger job to get 1 moa groups. The best I did was 1.25". My average was around 2.25". I had constant problems with chinese, russian, and east german mil spec ammo (out of 20 rounds, 5 would not fire the first time). I had no problems with my handloads. I also had jamming problems with aftermarket USA 30 round mags. No problems with factory 5 rounder. In some ways I was sad to let it go, but i am happy that i broke even and used the money to buy a M21 that is a delight to shoot.

It entirely depends on what you want from the rifle. Don't have high expectations when it comes to punching paper. But, when it comes to punching small deer at short ranges it should do just fine.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't just buy an AK.  The price is about the same.  The mags and parts are a lot cheaper.  The accuracy is about the same, unless you spend a wad customizing it (or better).

And if you are totally content with low cap mags, then buy an SKS.

-SS
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#10]
You'd be better served by an AK/SKS vice the Mini-30. Better still by an AR!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't just buy an AK.  The price is about the same.  The mags and parts are a lot cheaper.  The accuracy is about the same, unless you spend a wad customizing it (or better).

And if you are totally content with low cap mags, then buy an SKS.

-SS

How did this topic end up like this?
I gave my last AK to my brother,it was a POS.

All I need is a small gun that I can shot out to 200-300 yards and take with me on horseback.
An AR is to big,even a flat top will not fit in a rifle saddle sling.

What if I got a mini14? will I still get flamed and told to buy an old commie gun?
I mean come on guys.........what do you want me to just go beat animals to death or would it be ok if I shoot them
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

All I need is a small gun that I can shot out to 200-300 yards and take with me on horseback.

The Mini is fine for shooting at 300 yards as long as your targets are the size of panel vans.
If your targets are any smaller, have you thought of a lever action? Most of those are capable of 2MOA. A Savage M99 even takes pointed bullets and is capable of the 300yd criteria.

What if I got a mini14? will I still get flamed and told to buy an old commie gun?

Yes.
I just don't understand, all this advice from people who have been there/done that, and newbies still insist on buying those things. The only thing I like about them is their handling. They have NOTHING else going for them.
Why did you even ask if your just going to flame us for our opinions?

BTW, My Mini 30 could manage, at best, 6MOA 5-shot groups with a 9x scope. You can dump another 5 bills into one and get it to shoot into <2MOA, even counting the flier. I still wouldn't call it a 300yd hunting gun, due to 7.62x39 ballistics.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like you need a Marlin 45/70 guide gun. They hit the market a few months ago, are really nice and come in blue or stainless finish.I don't hunt much anymore but if I did and on horse back this would be the Rifle for me....

www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigBore_levrAction/1895GS.htm

John
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I mean come on guys.........what do you want me to just go beat animals to death or would it be ok if I shoot them

Dude if I ever decide to start flaming you, believe me you will know it.  I am not a mild person nor I do like assholes who tell me that I am flaming them because I attempt in good faith to answer a question.  Since you already have so much gun knowledge you sure as hell don't need my input or the input of anyone else on this board (although I don't really believe that anyone who can't get an AK to fire, and who believes that a Mini-30 is a 7.62x39mm version of the M1-Garand knows jack shit about guns).  In the mean time you can take your cheap ass Mini-30 door stopper and your attitude and put it where the sun don't shine.

Just for the record, anyone that wants to use a 7.62x39mm Mini-30, or any other 7.62x39mm for deer hunting is a tool.  Get a man's caliber if you are going to hunt.  If I were to go hunting with a "Battle Rifle" then I would use a .308, chambered in my M1a.  Unlike the Mini-30, the M1a is not a cheap ass imitation of the M1 Garand.  It is a quality rifle and would be accurate out to whatever range you can shoot (without optics).

-Southern Shark
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
If deer hunting is what is being got at here, I can see the 7.62x39 out to 100 yards or so. But it's marginal to begin with and really loses a lot of energy pretty quickly. At 300 yards you might as well be shooting a typical pistol cartridge, as far as humane deer hunting goes.

300 yards is pretty far. I'd look more at a .257 Roberts or .260 Remington or 6.5 Swedish minimum for deer, or a .243 for up to deer, if that's really a realistic range requirement.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#17]
B-A-R stalker in 308.......remington 7400 carbine in 0-6....these are 2 semi "deer guns" that will fit in your saddlebag.......
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you Beagles747,ILove2Shoot,Fuzzbean
and BlackandGreen.

Beagles747 most of all, I called my dealer about the 45-70,I think it's the gun I need.

SouthernSharkyou need to chill....maybe if your nice your sis. will give you some.

BTW: A Mini-30 is a 7.62x39mm version of the M1-Garand,JACKASS!

Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, if you like lever actions, Browning used to make one, BLR maybe, in cartridges of the .243 and .308 family. A guy I know had one, and it was compact, handy, slick working and readily scoped. Just a little flatter shooting than .45/70.

I don't know if they still make anything similar. Last lever action I saw from Browning had an aluminum receiver that looked like it was designed by Dr. Seuss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top