Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 1:32:09 PM EDT
What company makes the ACU that the government buys. I know theres a lot of knock offs being made that are close but not the exact pattern.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
unicor.  greenville, IL.  got them from clothing and sales.  may be other manufacturers though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you want them?

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of mine are made by Propper, some by Woolrich all are official from clothing/sales. I've also seen some marked Unicor like infsqdldr said.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
unicor.  greenville, IL.  got them from clothing and sales.  may be other manufacturers though.

is unicor made by the prison system?

i dont know.  i think some of the barracks furniture has been though, wall lockers and 3 drawer chests.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
UNICOR is the Federal Prison System Industries; they make everything from PC components and uniforms to office furniture (all the furniture used in military installations is made by UNICOR.

I work at FCC Coleman and we have a UNICOR facility here where we make office furniture.

Most of the inmate at the USP (where I work) wear brown T-Shirts, same ones I wear when I report for drills.

They also make electronic components for military vehicles, so yeah; maybe the wiring on the Humvees used in Iraq were made by federal inmates.

Makes you feel safe, right?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The Proppers I have seen in surplus stores suck. Colors are not even close to issue.

Here is my American Aparrel from Clothing Sales:

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
All of my issued stuff is Propper.  $35-$37 tops/pants at the PX/CS
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Proppers I have seen in surplus stores suck. Colors are not even close to issue.

Here is my American Aparrel from Clothing Sales:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/DSCN0364.jpg

I don't think the ones that Propper sells commercially are the same as the issue ones. My issue Propper and Woolrich stuff is identical except for the name of the manufacturer on the tag.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
American Apparel is what they sell at clothing sales on post.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Just checked a couple sets with tags still on them. Propper International, Inc.

Colors vary even in the Clothing Sales I have found. (thats the blind guy icon)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#12]
There are no less than seven manufacturers with ACU contracts. I found a list through a Google search, but I don't remember where it was.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why do you want them?

Camp Humphreys, ROK

What difference does it make?  We try to be helpful around here.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the pattern of the uniform, but will wait till it comes out in other colors like black or OD or Khaki
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
proppers seem to be the only ones i can find that look decent , if anyone has a link to a site that has a top quality pair send a link.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
proppers seem to be the only ones i can find that look decent , if anyone has a link to a site that has a top quality pair send a link.

www.bdu.com
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do you want them?

Camp Humphreys, ROK

What difference does it make?  We try to be helpful around here.

Actually it does matter.  If he/she acquires them from a military clothing and sales, there are pieces to that uniform that are meant for military unit(s) use(s) only.  So, if you're a weekend warrior (or wannabe), then you don't need to have those pieces.  If we want to play worst case scenario, if the person is trying to buy a set of ACU's to copy the technology in it, especially the items specific to those sold at military clothing sales, or through proper identification as military personnel from civilian distributors, that now compromises US military tactical operations.  While you (may or) may not give a crap, seeings how I want the necessary gear in the hands of the folks that need them, I figured I'd ask the question.

I've already almost lost 2 friends this week in Iraq, and if something as simple as not having uniforms go where they don't belong will help then, a simple question to an anonymous person on the net is harmless.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

87 Days Left on the ROK and then the 82nd Baby!!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Actually it does matter. If he/she acquires them from a military clothing and sales, there are pieces to that uniform that are meant for military unit(s) use(s) only. So, if you're a weekend warrior (or wannabe), then you don't need to have those pieces.

I am not sure where the poster indicated that they were going to acquire them from military clothing and sales.  You are correct in that the weekend warrior does not need ACU clothing if they are not required by the U.S. Army to wear them.  That does not mean that the consumer, for whatever reason they wish, cannot wear them (if legally acquired) or reproductions if they so desire.  My point is that his "need" is not relevant if this is not an item that is illegal or restricted for civilian use.

If we want to play worst case scenario, if the person is trying to buy a set of ACU's to copy the technology in it, especially the items specific to those sold at military clothing sales, or through proper identification as military personnel from civilian distributors, that now compromises US military tactical operations.

That is indeed a worst case scenario and I appreciate the point.  However, the simple reality re:ACU technology is that there are many thousands of sets of issue ACU's in civilian hands all over.  The cat is out of the bag so to speak.  You can get them anywhere, including direct sales from U.S. Army personnel all over the net.  That fact does trouble me a bit, since anyone who feels the need to wear ACU style clothing can simply by a knockoff by Tru-Spec or Propper anywhere for $25 bucks or so.

While you (may or) may not give a crap, seeings how I want the necessary gear in the hands of the folks that need them, I figured I'd ask the question.

I also want the necessary gear in the hands of the folks that need it.  That is why I have consistently lost money every month sending ACU pattern gear to active and reserve US Army units in the states, Afghanistan, and Iraq (the same for my USMC customers).  In fact, this week I am supplying a unit  in Afghanistan with a full load out of ACU gear at a 30% loss, with an extra $140 worth for free just because it is the least I can do.  I choose "may" give a crap.

I've already almost lost 2 friends this week in Iraq, and if something as simple as not having uniforms go where they don't belong will help then, a simple question to an anonymous person on the net is harmless.

The loss of friends or near loss of friends serving in combat zones must be a very difficult thing to  face and deal with.  I cannot imagine what it is like.  I get furious when I see equipment like IBA's and optics, along with the other myriad of issue gear floating around having obviously been re-allocated from the supply chain.  However, I don't feel that the publicly available ACU trouser and blouse set (or headwear) being purchased by civilians constitutes a genuine threat to U.S. tactical operations.  Again, every airsoft group in the damned world already has them in both the issue format and the near exact copies.

Having said all this, I never have, and never will, wear any U.S. Military BDU or even headwear.  I have full sets of USMC Temperate and Desert MARPAT along with a full set of issue U.S. Army ACU that I use for matching gear colors and for pics when requested.  

My apologies for the long post, but I felt the need to respond to your reply and to respond to some statements that I felt were somewhat out of context of the style of community present on the AR15.com tactical forum.

Thank you for your service and good luck with the 82nd!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I for one don't feel the slightest bit of remorse for buying issue gear. If the supply system is THAT fubar, a few items here and there don't really stack up, when we are taliking about stuff that is bought by the tens or even hundreds of thousands by DOD; you must maintain a sense of proportion after all. How many guys have been buying MATECH sights, when most infantry guys in the field don't have BUIS? Or taken your car on a joy ride and burned a bunch of fossil fuel, the true cost of which means that the US must maintain a large and expensive military, and commit it to action all over the globe? Meh.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#20]
"Actually it does matter. If he/she acquires them from a military clothing and sales, there are pieces to that uniform that are meant for military unit(s) use(s) only. So, if you're a weekend warrior (or wannabe), then you don't need to have those pieces. If we want to play worst case scenario, if the person is trying to buy a set of ACU's to copy the technology in it, especially the items specific to those sold at military clothing sales, or through proper identification as military personnel from civilian distributors, that now compromises US military tactical operations. While you (may or) may not give a crap, seeings how I want the necessary gear in the hands of the folks that need them, I figured I'd ask the question."

Oh please.  And if you give the issued MRE spoons to the hajis they'll melt them into a super secret SINCGARS decrypting sattelite dish.  

The hajis don't want uniforms they are invisible in thier standard mandress and sandals.  

"The loss of friends or near loss of friends serving in combat zones must be a very difficult thing to face and deal with."

It is.

"I get furious when I see equipment like IBA's and optics, along with the other myriad of issue gear floating around having obviously been re-allocated from the supply chain."

I get furious that we are losing good people with what seems to obviously be NO PLAN TO WIN.   The supply chain has nothing to do with that.  It has everything to do with pussy leadership from the platoon sergeants all the way to the president, and a lot of soft commies like Kennedy and McCain taking what little balls and clout the pansies have with their treasonous liberal bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#21]

I get furious that we are losing good people with what seems to obviously be NO PLAN TO WIN. The supply chain has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with pussy leadership from the platoon sergeants all the way to the president, and a lot of soft commies like Kennedy and McCain taking what little balls and clout the pansies have with their treasonous liberal bullshit.

Yep, but that is a separate point from the one I was trying to make.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#22]
uscbigdawg1

Did you go to Camp Jackson for PLDC?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:31:51 AM EDT
[#23]
First, it's not the uniform themselves that I have an issue with.  Folks that have bought them from clothing sales, or from civilian distributors to make them uniform compliant (i.e. IFF patches for starters) know that it's a pain in the ass for us to get them, and moreso get them from civilian distributors, when overseas.  For the record, I don't care if civilians buy them, just don't like throwing out all kinds of info for free to whomever is watching.  Let folks do some of their own homework.

To bring it back down to a light-hearted discussion, that leaves where I went to PLDC.  I didn't go, nor will I ever go anywhere near Fort Jackson, SC.  To be more exact, Fort Bragg and Fort Benning will be as close as I will EVER be to Fort Jackson.  If I need medical attention, I'll go hump my bloody stump of legs and arms to Bragg or Benning before going there.  Relaxin' Fort Jackson...what did Jesse Ventura say about Slack Jawed F******?  Of course, I went to BCT at Fort Sill, so I'm a little biased against just about everybody.  

Since I guess the info is up for everyone then, a good source for ACU's is Ranger Joe's, some place I think called Supply Seargent (I never heard of them until ACU's started shipping) and of course the normal places like US Cavalry and Brigade Quartermaster.

Take care and before the end of the year, send a care package to a soldier, sailor, airmen or marine in OIF or OEF.  It is appreciated.

God Bless!

Camp Humphreys, ROK

86 more days left on the ROK and going to DIVISION!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#24]
"First, it's not the uniform themselves that I have an issue with. Folks that have bought them from clothing sales, or from civilian distributors to make them uniform compliant (i.e. IFF patches for starters) know that it's a pain in the ass for us to get them, and moreso get them from civilian distributors, when overseas. For the record, I don't care if civilians buy them, just don't like throwing out all kinds of info for free to whomever is watching. Let folks do some of their own homework."

I see your point there, I came back from Iraq with a choice to buy BDU's and black boots or simply buy ACU's and decided that since my unit would be issuing them in the fall, I would rather buy uniforms I can wear later, and went the ACU route.  

Was that ever a pain in the ass.  I can tell you it doesn't seem that the Army had much of a plan to field the uniform.  They should have built a sizeable stockpile before announcing and initiating the changeover IMO.  

As it is it's hard to impossible to find a not generic uniform and finding badges and patches for it is rediculous also.  

Does anyone know where ACU uniform regs are posted?  I have a badge I would like to wear but would not want to sew one on if that was contrary to regs.  Do we have to use pin-on badges?  

My initial thought on seeing soldiers in ACU's with pin-on badges was, "doesn't that defeat the purpose of removing buttons and pin on rank from the uniform for better body armor compatibility?"

I guess I would't be surprised.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I beleive you have to use pin ons.  Retarded, but so are velcro tags.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So, if you're a weekend warrior (or wannabe), then you don't need to have those pieces.  

Hmmmn, bah, not worth it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Green0,

Unfortunately, yes you do have to use pin-ons.  My hunch though is that before the end of the year, or at least before Oct. '07 (when ACU's are mandated wear) that there will be provisions in the regulation to allow sewing on of skill badges.  It doesn't make sense, and it never will make sense.  As for regulations on ACU's, there is a rather thorough Powerpoint slide presentation on it, but keep a look out at MILPER messages on AR 670-1.  There should be something there.  I wouldn't be surprised too if the regs change to say that we're switching back to the patrol cap and the beret becomes a Class A/B uniform item only.  That will be a heavenly day!!!

As for whether to buy them or not?  I've had more than a few of the MP's that I work with, fresh out of OSUT ask me why I haven't bought ACU's yet.  First, I remind them that they were issued them, and some of us were not.  Second, that I'll be leaving the ROK in 85 days (WOOHOO!!!) and going to a UA wherein I'll be issued them prior to deployment (although I will be having a couple of pairs of boots made over here before leaving....THE BEST!).  Lastly, the regulations are not concrete.  One week, certain boots are authorized, others are not.  This is okay, but this isn't.  It's retarded, but getting worked out....slowly.

The Army I think did not anticipate the flood of folks wanting to switch over as they did.  Here in the ROK, a guy here at the Hump said it best:  

Boots:  Black leather, cold weather
Uniform:  ACU's
LBV, Vest and Kevlar:  Woodland Camo
Gloves:  Green Nomex
Camelback:  Desert Camo pattern

In case you think I'm kidding, these are all issued items to us here and conceivably would be in tandem with one another (although the boots are questionable ).  Again, the upside is that the changes ARE coming and we'll be taken care of I'm sure before Oct. '07.

Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, I found something rather rare at the local Surplus Store I usually go to.

(Pic coming ASAP)

I found an actual ACU jacket on the surplus uniform rack; I had a "WTF" moment when i saw them, next to a couple sets of used MARPAT Uniforms. I took the top and gave it a once over to ensure that I wasn't dreaming:

GLINT Tape? Check!
Velcro for name Tape and rank? Check!
Elbow pad Pockets? Check!
Gussetted Back? Check!
Mandarin Collar? Check!
Pen Pocket on the left forearm? Check!
Lot number stamping inside pocket? Check!
Propper Manufacturing Tag? Check!

So far, everything checked out to standard; then I put it on and check the fit; PERFECT FIT!

One thing I did noticed was a small brownish dot on the back of the uniform, at shoulder height, barely noticeable, but nonetheless there; nothing a little laundry detergent won't fix. Got me an ACU top under $25 in near new condition.

But the thing that puzzles me is how did this uniform end up in a surplus store to begin with? I am in the Reserves and only a handful of soldiers have them (mostly guys that are fresh out of MP School, the CO, the 1SG and the Supply Sgt and maybe one or two guys that want to be HOOAH! and bought their own at MacDill AFB); most of us won't be getting them until the unit starts issuing them; and yet some soldier out there decided to sell his ACU uniform to the store to make some cash.

I looked everywhere for the trousers, but no luck. Oh yeah, they had the copies of it, but I wasn't going to even try to have a mil-Spec top with a commercial copycat bottom (even the new Tru-Spec ones that have nearly all the features in them). I know better.

So, I will wait until either my unit starts issuing them or I find the mil-spec ones at the store. Now, I found a site on the net that sells all the ACU patches and tags.

LINKY

They sell all the regulation patches, name tapes, rank and IR insignias you'll need to be up to standard. They also sell the USMC MARPAT Tapes and pretty much anything that you might need, uniform-wise.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:57:26 AM EDT
[#29]
About the qualification barges, more than likely, they will change the reg and have the qualification badges done in ACU gray and allow them to be sewn eventually. Personally, the pin on stuff looks lousy on the new ACUs, specially if you are the "High Speed" type (EIB, Jump Wings, A/A Wings, HALO Wings, etc...); the weight of all those qualification badges makes the uniform look unprofessional; but eventuyally (knock on wood), someone will have the common sense to change the reg and to allow the sew-on badges.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
and yet some soldier out there decided to sell his ACU uniform to the store to make some cash.

You're assuming that it wasn't snatched out of a dryer by someone else.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I think there's a big deal made over nothing... it's a Uniform... not the secret Formula to Chobham Armor....

I just bought a pair of true-spec ACU Trousers for kickin around on the weekends and for going to the range ,etc

I won't lose any sleep thinking I just compromised national Security..........

And you  Mr PX... Stay safe and keep low........ We need you back at Stan's.... We have some new kick ass drills your gonna like...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and yet some soldier out there decided to sell his ACU uniform to the store to make some cash.

When I was in, a long time ago, every part of my issue clothing had a tag sewn inside with my name/SSN. Don't they still do this? How do you keep track of items turned in to the landry?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was in, a long time ago, every part of my issue clothing had a tag sewn inside with my name/SSN. Don't they still do this? How do you keep track of items turned in to the landry?

in basic we wrote our names with marker.  army does not do laundry for soldiers anymore.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Nope; the uniform was way too new to have been just snatched from a dryer; plus the uniform had a small eraser-head sized dirt stain, so i doubt it was snatched from a laundromat or anything.

I usually go to this store once a pay period to see what they get and i have picked up a few good things from them for next to nothing, like a green patrol sleeping bag (from the Army's new Modular Sleeping System) for $30 and a pair of new 100 round SAW Soft Packs for $10 a piece.

The store gives me 10% discount (LEO Disc.) and i take advantage of it by buying my surplus from them. Is always good to have them as a "hook up".
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#35]
FWIW, ACU's get snatched out of our (MP) barracks all the time.  Guess by whom?  That's right...other MP's.

Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, as an MP myself, I try real hard to keep my shit under lock and key. How many times I have had to respond to break-ins and after 5 minutes of looking around i make the question.

"Was the window secured when you left the house, mrs. so-and-so?"

"Uh, no..."

Come on, folks; this is not difficult.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:34:03 AM EDT
[#37]
When I was in the Corps, the catch phrase was "Gear adrift is a gift."

Stolen equipment and gear often ends up in military surplus stores. It can be a case of Joe leaving something somewhere he should not have and Snuffy picks it up and sells it, or someone in supply making extra bucks on the side, or DRMO sales.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top