Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 12:47:46 PM EDT
Yugo or German?

Prices are good  Germans average about $10 more in same condition.  
Any real advantage to either?
Ammo is the same and cheap.
What are your preferences?  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Get both!

I'm thinking about picking up one of each this week.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Germans are pretty worn down, and majority are Soviet captures w/ the 'ghost eagle'. Good for collections and I'd say nothing much more, can get pricey for no reason. Yugo's seems to be where it's at. You can sportarize them, keep them factory, lots of accessories, good bored and excellent stocks. Cheap, too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Could I request answers other than get both, please.

Scope mounts?  What do you think of this one?  Any users and was it complicated to install?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#5]
More?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't you get a "scout" mount that replaces the rear sight leaf as well?

I know you are then limited on the type of scope (scout or handgun).
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the scout mount that replaces the rear sight.  Don't drill and tap the receiver.  

Which Yugoslavian are you talking about.  The M48/48A's are pretty good rifles.  These are all post war manufactured.  The 24's were rifles made inYugoslavia under license.  The 24/47's were captured K98's that were rearsenaled post war.  

K98's24's and 24/57's have a real history about them.  The 48's are in better shape as they were never used in war.

They all use 7.92 (8mm) ammo so any milsurp 8mm will work.  Prices are very good right now.  Under 10 cents per round is normal.  70's vintage Yugoslavian ammo is the current "best" on the market right now.  Commercial 8mm ammo made in the US is all lightly loaded.  This in case you have a Mauser made before 1893 or so.  European 8mm ammo is fully loaded.  Fully loaded, it is a great hunting rifle.  On one board was a guy talking about the elk he took at 450 yards with a European commercial soft point.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered one of these

It is going on a mauser varient with an 18" barrel in 7.62 NATO.  Should make a dandy scout rifle.

I am now torn between a 2X scope and a red dot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
It would take a mount like that to get the scope low enough to have a cheek weld as opposed to a chin weld.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for more leaning torwards Yugo.  Scope mount ideas?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bump for more leaning torwards Yugo.  Scope mount ideas?

If you have money to burn, there's the Iron Elite scope mount.  It'll probably set you back about $100 after shipping, but will allow for standard eye relief.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#13]
yugos are mostly outstanding
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
yugos are mostly outstanding

It's too bad that the irons on mine are so far off.  I'm either going to have to invest in a scope mount (with scope of course) or mojo sights.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep in mind that MOST Yugos are the intermediate length action. This is no problem if you want to use the original caliber, but might be a problem to rebarrel to the 30/06. (.308 would be fine length wise, but may have feeding issues. Mausers are designed to feed a specific cartridge).
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#16]
????
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
????

The yugo action is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than the standard K98 mauser action.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Re: feeding issues,

If I get a M48 intermediate-length action, would I be likely to have problems trying to get it to feed .243?

I'm thinking about picking two up, and one cheap barrel for a youth deer rifle...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Yugo's a great right now due to price and you can get one in decent shape. But with original sights you will shoot about 10 inches high with military ammo. I love my yugo but I will have to finish cleaning it after hunting season.

You might try Iron elite scope mounts for a scoped rifle.

Me, for a christmas gift for my mother, I plan to build a custom rifle.
Turkish mauser for 59 bucks(for the receiver)
7mm mauser barrell 70 bucks
stock for 80 bucks
scope and mounts for 100 bucks
other parts and gunsmithing 200 bucks

Mothers look on her face when she sees parts : priceless

Right now with price of mausers what they are, a custom rifle or military is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I have Turkish Muasers and 1 Isreali. A friend has a Yugo.

The thing I would suggest is to get the bolt bent and get a one piece mount put on by a good gunsmith. I've had fun sporterizing a few of them. The money is well spent for the conversion to bent bolt. It cost me around $100 to get it done by an old gunsmith in my area. Ask around for some one in your area that could do it.

I converted a couple of them to .308. 1 Turk,  and I had to do some mod for better feeding. And 1 Isreali, it was .308 already so I made the feed ramp of the Turk match the Isreali one. You won't have that luxury. I think it would be ok to leave it 8mm to. Rounds are cheap and you can get Sellior & Belliott ammo when you get serious.

The Yugo's I've seen have looked pretty good. I was surprised how accurate they can be. Hits out to 500m easy. 700m ok. I shot at a sandstone hill a bit bigger than a house at 1600m (1mi) And we were able to see some shots bounce off it. Not bad for a 60yr old gun with 50yr old ammo. And you can't beat the price.(Got mine a few years back at $50.00 a pop for the Turks) If you don't have one (one or more) in your collection you're missing out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have Turkish Muasers and 1 Isreali. A friend has a Yugo.

The thing I would suggest is to get the bolt bent and get a one piece mount put on by a good gunsmith. I've had fun sporterizing a few of them. The money is well spent for the conversion to bent bolt. It cost me around $100 to get it done by an old gunsmith in my area. Ask around for some one in your area that could do it.

I converted a couple of them to .308. 1 Turk,  and I had to do some mod for better feeding. And 1 Isreali, it was .308 already so I made the feed ramp of the Turk match the Isreali one. You won't have that luxury. I think it would be ok to leave it 8mm to. Rounds are cheap and you can get Sellior & Belliott ammo when you get serious.

The Yugo's I've seen have looked pretty good. I was surprised how accurate they can be. Hits out to 500m easy. 700m ok. I shot at a sandstone hill a bit bigger than a house at 1600m (1mi) And we were able to see some shots bounce off it. Not bad for a 60yr old gun with 50yr old ammo. And you can't beat the price.(Got mine a few years back at $50.00 a pop for the Turks) If you don't have one (one or more) in your collection you're missing out.

1cheapshot,

What kind of "one piece mount" are you using?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just ordered one of these

www.xssights.com/store/pix/catalog/scope/scope-bot.jpg

It is going on a mauser varient with an 18" barrel in 7.62 NATO.  Should make a dandy scout rifle.

I am now torn between a 2X scope and a red dot.

PLEASE!  ar-wrench is spot-on.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to get any kind of Scout mount other than the one above!  I have tried them all, and it was a waste of time and money.

Save yourself the hassle, and get the XS mount and do it RIGHT the FIRST time.

Disclaimer:  I have no financial interest in XS.

ar-wrench, I personally favor the scope, because it has no batteries to fail.  If you do get a scope, make SURE to get one with a heavy reticle, as it is much better in the field that a target-range thin one.  Whichever you get, mount it as low as humanly possible to the bore, and get quick-detach mounts.  Leupold QD mounts worked perfectly with my Burris scope.

Raf, You da Man!

I did as you suggested, and put a Leupold Scout on the XS mount.  That Mauser is the sweetest, mosty naturally pointing rifle I have ever shouldered.

Am headed to the range to sight it in today.  Will post results if I make it.

Pic added:

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Keep in mind that MOST Yugos are the intermediate length action. This is no problem if you want to use the original caliber, but might be a problem to rebarrel to the 30/06. (.308 would be fine length wise, but may have feeding issues. Mausers are designed to feed a specific cartridge).

The intermediate action should be fine for the .308 or 30-06. 8mm is very close to 30-06. Alot of people like the intermediate action of the M48 rifle. The bolt is a believe 1/4 inch shorter. I prefer the full length rifle myself. I feel it can handle some of the hotter loads of 8mm out there.  All M48s are intermediate action. I would not use an intermediate action as a possibility on a magnum caliber though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top