Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2001 6:33:32 PM EDT
I have a M48 yugo mauser. The problem is it only fires about half of the round I send in it. It is Yugo 8mm ammo. The firing pin is coming in to  contact with the primer but no detonation. All of the primers seem to be at the same depth in the case. I must admit the dimple from firing pin is very little. Could this be firing pin or ammo problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Strip the bolt and soak it in white gas. The cosmoline is gunking up your firing pin and making it move slower than it should.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Might be the ammo, I bought some surplus Yugo a
year ago and it did the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
This a common problem caused my cosmoline in the bolt. Clean the hell out of it and then lightly oil as RR said.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If cleaning the bolt and firing pin doesn't work, have the headspace checked. Excessive headspace can cause light primer strikes (firing pin can't reach the primer).
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I serioulsy think this is an ammo problem.

Mine with my 50 year old Yugo ammo did the same thing.  Try double tapping the same round.  I bet dollars to donuts it'll fire.  When I was indy, this happened especially in cold weather.  I think you have hard primers.  The cold weather helps make them even tougher.

I would also do as suggested and make sure the bolt is clear of all cosmoline.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I would tend to belive that it is an ammo problem.  If The pin is impacting the primer it should fire.  Try a box of commercial ammo.  If any of them don't fire you have a problem.

Once upon a time I had an old Enfield No.4Mk1 in .303 British of course.  I had bought some cheap turkish crap... I mean ammo.  Only about 50% of it would fire.

Of course cleaning the bolt wouldn't hurt and having the headspace checked is always a good idea on old surplus firearms.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys, thanks for the tips I will give them a try!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Bob,
If you got one of Cole's M48 Yugos, they clean the extrerior of the bolt but not the inside. Download the mauser manual from Mitchell's Mausers website and completely disassemble the rifle, bolt and all. You'll be amazed at the amount of cosmoline you'll find in there.

I know about this firsthand, I've got one too. Mine has not failed to fire a single round in about 300 so far.

I'm shooting Yugoslav surplus which is about the cleanest and best condition ammo around for the 8mm, unless you buy commercial or load your own.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys,
Let the bolt soak in kerosene last night.Went out today and in twenty rounds only had this happen once! It still had a little cosmo. in the bolt so I will take it apart again and get every little bit. But it seems to have done the job. Thanks to you guys for helping, it is truly very enjoyablr to have usable replys than the usual smartass who actually knows nothing, but pretends he does! Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top