Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2007 7:17:47 PM EDT
These photos depict a 1895 Chilean Mauser mfg by Ludwig Loewe. Also applies to those mfg by DWM, Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken. The 1895 was manufactured in 3 periods: 1895, 1898 & 1902. Anecdotal research has not revealed any manufactured outside those three periods. The 1895 is a small ring action made of low carbon steel, as all Mauser actions are, and case hardened although much of the hard skin is polished off after the heattreat.

Think about this lack of safety margin when considering one of the 1893-16 Spanish Mauser short rifles chambered in 7.62 Cetme and routinely fired with the much more powerful 7.62x51 Nato and the emensely dangerous .308 WCF. Mausers don't blow up from such abuse. The receiver stretches until it cracks or breaks altogether. It is not unheard of for small ring Mausers to break both locking lugs. There have been a couple instances of just this kind of failure in Sweden with the 1896 Mauser. The shooter was KILLED when the bolt entered his head.

Upper lug race of 1895 Chilean Mauser:

Lower lug race of 1895 Chilean Mauser:

Chamber insert of 1895 Chilean Mauser converted from 7x57mm to 7.62x51 Nato:

Checking such a rifle with headspace gauges does not nessessarily indicate lug setback. If the gauge prevents the bolt from rotating into battery, the lugs never reach that portion of the lug race that has setback. Understand?  

I'm reading some dangerously uninformed statements being made in this forum so if you have a question don't hesitate. I don't care how dumb the question sounds I'd rather you ask it than not.

Dutch
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks for the pictures!  very informative.

advntrjnky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top