Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2002 9:23:05 PM EDT
Sorry for the ignorance.  But why are M1A/M14 match barrels tapered to almost the standard diameter half way?  Does'nt this affect accuracy? Is this necessary?  
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You are talking about the Heavy and medium heavy barrels used on M1A & M14's. It comes from the  CMP rule # 6.1.2(2), which boils down to you can't change the external configuration of the rifle, you can change about any thing if it can't be seen as long as all safeties are working. NRA also has the same rule.

The standard Dia. barrel you see out past the stock ferrule doesn't affect accuracy.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#2]
plus the barrel HAS to have the standard dimentions past the ferrule so the gas cylinder and the flash suppressor can fit..
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If I had no intentions of joining competitions and did'nt really need to abide by the CMP & NRA rules, is it possible to get a heavy match barrel with less taper (i.e. heavier up front)and the gas cylinder to fit?  Where could I get these?

Also, what are must have books for M1A's & M14's?  Thanks.

Frontsight
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never seen or heard of gas system ever made for a full heavy (bull) barrel. Remember that the gas system is what makes the action work. There has been a lot of 200's shot at 1000yds. by people that know how to use the M14.  But by all means ask around, there are some fine builders around, But I don't belive that a modified operating rod would hold up after the guide was brought back to allow for the drop to meet the gas piston, you would be fighting timing problems due to bent op rods.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help.  Any ideas on good, must have books for match grade M1A/M14's?
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Jerry Kuhnhousens's shop manual is about the best around.. gives ALL the dimentions and diagrams etc.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top