Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 12:39:36 PM EDT
This weekend I shot some 168gr Federal GMM in my M1A, and noticed quite a bit of brass residue on the bolt face and other areas around the action.  I remember reading that Federal brass is softer than some others.

Would Black Hills be better suited (if it has harder brass) for the M1A?  Or, does it really make a difference?

Thanks,

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot some of that Federal gold Medal Match and had the same problem with excess brass particles.It's also true that Federal brass is a bit softer.

For that reason I load my own using military brass.Winchester brass is a bit harder but I don't kmow if they make match ammo.I think Remington makes match ammo and may be worth a look.

You might be able to find some military match ammo as well.That stuff shoots real well too if you can find it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Although Federal is soft, I've had the same problem with LC Match 168 gr ammo in a newly built M-1A with all GI parts. The problem was that the new extractor had some sharp edges that shaved particles from the brass cases. A little stoning of the sharp edges eliminated the problem.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I normally shoot Port ball out of my standard M1A, but was experimenting with match just to see what the rifle would do.

I'll look around for some other match ammo.  I see the occasional Lake City (with lot numbers removed) at the shows every once in a while, but was looking in the direction of Black Hills.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Zmeja,
You might also see if you can find some of the PMC Silver Match ammo to try.  They use 168gr SMKs and last week I shot them and the Federal GMM all into the same group.  Same general accuracy with a 25% cheaper price than Federal - not too shabby.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#5]
so what kind of groups can you get with gmm, fired out of a standard gun
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I've actually fired only 4 match rounds out of the gun, and, along with the Port ball, am getting inconsistent results.  The tightest group of Port ball I got at 100 yds was a little greater than 1" (3 shots), but with GMM 168 gr, I got 3" (4 shots).  I had been firing for most of the hot, Texas afternoon, trying to allow the barrel to cool down some, but would like to try a full box of match before I make up my mind.  So far the rifle has only 244 rounds through it.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Try Lake City match, that uses the 175gr. Sierra Match King projectile.
Very accurate and harder brass (not Federal).

Semper Fi

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top