Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2001 2:01:21 AM EDT
I'm debating on whether to upgrade my R1A1 FAL rifle to match grade accuracy or to invest in a Remington 700 PSS. I won't be shooting competition - I'm just looking for a all-round quality long range rifle with optics on it. Anyone have any advice on whether I should upgrade what I have, or purchase an entirely different weapon system?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Remmington, the fal is a battle rifle and true match grade accuracy would be hard to achieve - IMHO. I am sure someone will disagree but ask them to go to a match shoot and see how many Rems are there compared to the FALS.

Ropes

PS I love my FALS!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#2]
And dont worry about getting a PSS. Save yourself some money and teh the 700 VS. Its the same rifle, just a different stock. I have talked to Remington so I have confirmed this. The only difference is the stock, so unless you want to pay someones price for the PSS then just get the VS.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
700 vls in 7-08 rem........beauty..beauty
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Remington.  PSS, VS, Sendero - just pick the caliber that you want and you will be happy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses. Maybe I should just stick with iron sights or a red-dot scope for my FN-FAL and purchase the Remington 700 for long range accuracy. How much custom work is generally required for an "out of the box" Mod. 700 VS or PSS?

The most impressive long range rifle I've seen while stationed here in Europe is the Steyr rifles used by the German Bundeswehr for sniping - but they're expensive as hell.    
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The most impressive long range rifle I've seen while stationed here in Europe is the Steyr rifles used by the German Bundeswehr for sniping - but they're expensive as hell.    

J_Smith, the Steyr was tested against the M24 (rem. 700) by the marine corp, and out to 600 yds. they were equal but at the longer distances (700 yrds. to 1000 yrds.) the M24 beat it hands down.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
One other thing to consider...

The 700 Police models do NOT have that crappy politically Correct bolt lock like the consumer editions (VS, VLS, etc) do.

Some people don't like integrated bolt locks.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Sir
the only addition the 700 P or PSS or V needs is a trigger job and it will outshoot any FAL made.That is including those expensive Freefloater $1600 shop FALs.
You can put a nice trigger on a 700 in 15 minutes or send the trigger group to me and I will do it for a small fee and a signed legal release.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info. I'll go with a Remington 700 PSS...Jon  
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#10]
The PSS is not the same as the VS as a remmington factory trained armorer I can tell you that. The VS models are assembled on the line with all other hunting guns.
The PSS models are assembled in the custom shop where the benchrest guns are made the 40 series guns. All the gunsmiths in this area are the best remmington has, they all have pictures of the custom guns on at their work stations next to their kids and trophy deer pictures. These are the long time first rate employees that know their sheot. The PSS guns are assembled in this area and the attention to detail is what makes the difference.  Oh BTW if you ever get a chance to go to Illion and take the remmington factory Armorer school at the factory you will be in heaven the history and collection of firearms in that building are unreal, and you gate a whole afternoon at the skeet and trap range shooting whatever you want including the high dollar double guns:).
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]
AR10er, any chance you have a link to that article or wherever you read/heard/saw that about the Steyr vs. M24?  I'm curious which one they're referring to SSG, SBS, etc.

Rich
NRA, GOA, LEAA, CCRN
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Remington.  There's no such thing as a match grade FAL.  No matter what you do with them they won't match the PSS or an AR.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm assuming that with a bolt action, you'd have the option of 30.06(if you wanted it).
If you want a semi auto, what about putting a heavy barrel on the FN.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm assuming that with a bolt action, you'd have the option of 30.06(if you wanted it).

PSS comes in 308, 223, 300 Ultra Mag, 300 Win Mag, 7MM Mag.  If you want a 30-06 you would have to rebarrel or go with a VS** or a 40XB (assuming you want a heavy barrel)
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my FAL.  It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger and it's accurate... for a battle rifle.  

You're just not going to get the same accuracy you'd get out in an out of the box, match grade bolt gun.  You certainly aren't going to beat an accurized bolt gun with a semi, much less an FN-FAL.

You could get to a 1 MOA FN-FAL if you threw enough money into it and you used Black Hills or handloads.  I believe there are some guys at www.geotec.net/taylorwkrs/index.htm who do work and guarantee a 1 MOA rifle.  But, checking their prices, it's at least a grand to do it.

Other accurizing services for other semis are not a heck of a lot better (Fulton's charging $1700 1.1 MOA M1As and $2200 for 1.1 MOA M1s).

If you put a grand (much less two grand) into a Remington 700, you're gonna get a hell of a rifle.

However, a scoped FAL is still a good rifle, and it can reach out pretty far and hit with reasonable accuracy, just not dead-on accuracy. Me, I just went with an Aimpoint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top