Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 11/26/2014 10:23:27 AM EDT
If one was to find a cheapish ragged out 20" Marlin 1894 in 44 mag could you find a 16" 1/20 twist octagon barrel? Do a barrel swap cut the magazine tube down and have the ultimate bush gun? Anyone here done such a project?

Thanks all
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:40:43 AM EDT
Getting ready to do a 94. Going from 30-30 to 38-55.
The barrel may not index correctly when tightened. So a lathe may be needed to set the shoulder back. Headspace is the rim depth. That will need checked.
And as always. Pictures would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:09:02 PM EDT
Thanks for the reply I did a very quick cursory check but didnt come across any barrels like I am wanting...would I have to get a barrel blank and have it cut and crowned to the length I want? Any good manufacturers out there I should be looking at I was going to give Green mountain barrels a call next week and see if they can help me any others?
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfmcleaky:
Getting ready to do a 94. Going from 30-30 to 38-55.
The barrel may not index correctly when tightened. So a lathe may be needed to set the shoulder back. Headspace is the rim depth. That will need checked.
And as always. Pictures would be nice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:09:39 PM EDT
I'm looking at a factory take off. That will probably be your cheaper option. Green mountain is a good choice but will need threaded.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:20:26 PM EDT
Thank you Sir is there a good place to look for those barrels I think the one I want was never made a 16" octagonal barrel I think that would be the neatest project I have a 16" octagon barrel 1894 44 mag thanks again for the help have a great thanksgiving. ..
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfmcleaky:
I'm looking at a factory take off. That will probably be your cheaper option. Green mountain is a good choice but will need threaded.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:40:08 PM EDT
I'd check ebay and gunbroker.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:44:14 PM EDT
If the idea is to have the ultimate brush gun --- why go with the heaviest barrel profile available (octagon that is)

---- probably easier to find a 20 or 24" octagon barrel and have that cut down --- cutting new dovetails for the sights and mag tube dovetail is a "bread n butter" job for most gunsmith's
Top Top