Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2002 2:50:11 PM EDT
How do you like your safties?

I consider ambi safties to be a good idea for a defensive gun. After all, who knows if you'll have to shoot it with your off-hand?

I remember hearing that some people don't like them, but I can't remember why.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a southpaw, my wife is one of those other kind of people. I like ambi-everything.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I like ambis on my pistols, for the same reason I own a couple of left hand holsters, and practice shooting weak hand. Ive heard people say they are bad on carry guns because they are wiped off easily.  Ive found single side safeties on my .45s "off" on a couple of occasions and dont notice it anymore with the ones that have ambis.  All of my .45s have deep detents milled in them now.  They go off with a noticable click.  I went ambi on all my pistols after I severely injured my right hand.  I couldnt hold a gun, let alone shoot it.  Thats when I ended up with left hand holsters.  As for rifles, I dont have any trouble getting the safety on my AR's off with the base joint of my left hand.  I've practiced reaching around the trigger guard with my left middle finger to get at the safety on my 870 and my Benelli.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, so far I’m the odd one, as I don’t like an ambi-safety on a concealed carry gun.  The advantages to me of no ambi-safety: 1. I often conceal with a polo type shirt, and the shirt can catch on the ambi-safety while lifting the shirt to draw the gun. 2. Easier for me to get a good grip on the gun to draw when there is a smooth surface.  3. Slightly less protrusion of the gun to “print” through a concealment shirt.  The big disadvantage is the greatly increased difficulty in working the safety weak-handed while holding the gun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the gun it's on.

For 1911's, I prefer single safeties.  The way they are designed (1911 ambis), they can break much easier than single safeties.  Also, the printing problem mentioned earlier for concealed carry.

Let's face it...if you're not a lefty, the odds are that you won't need the left side.  Yeah, yeah if I "have to shoot with my weak side"...but you will probably already have the safety disengaged.  If not, I am SURE you will find out some way of disengaging it pretty damned quick if your life is on the line.

To me, it's a non-issue.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Reminds me of an Ayoob Files I read the other day. A woman was coming out of an office building when a large man grabbed her right arm, put a .25 to her head, and started dragging her away to a dark corner somewhere. She drew a .44 Mag (!) with her weak hand and popped him twice in the arm.

Moral? You never know what you'll have to do when really bad stuff happens.

FWIW, I carry my 92FS off-safe, since I have trouble taking the safety off in a draw, though I leave it on-safe when it's by my bed in case some crook gets to it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a IT MUST HAVE AN AMBI SAFETY kind of guy really. I dont love them or hate them. That damn Murphy just is such a PITA sometimes. All my Loaded SA 1911's have them and I dont plan on changing them. Now if Murphy either didnt exist or wasnt such a hard nose................
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Pistols - ambi - a nice feature but not necessary. Think about it, with the exception of cross draw - how are you gonna remove your pistol from the holster without you strong hand? Flick the safety off at that time.

I have some 1911s w/ and some with out. When practicing weak hand only drills - I still gotta draw strong hand.

Makes no diff to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top