Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2002 10:54:27 PM EDT
A friend of mine wants to get a hand gun for around $200-$300 he is kind of interested in getting a Makarov, I don't really know that much about them? Are they any good? if so, does anyone know a good place to get one from? any suggestions on another Hand gun in that price range?

Thanks for your help
Josh223
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.Makarov.com/
& I think the AK site has a Makarov forum.

-There are also acouple of CZ pistols that may fit the bill.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been trying to get a Bulgarian Makarov for some time and finally found a place that had them in stock for about $110.00. Then I put off picking 2 of them up for a week and then they sold out. Damn I was pissed at myself.  I had intended on converting one to .380 and leaving the other a 9x18 Makarov.
I didn't care really how the bluing was as I was going to have one parked and hadn't decided about the other.  Still waiting for more to arrive stateside.  

edited to correct lousy spelling
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
There is an excellent Makarov board started by www.makarov.com and now hosted at Gunboards:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Headlines&BID=42&SID=1743564

There are quite a few number of experienced Mak owners here and a search of the board will yield literally hours of reading and info.

Also note that Karl, the owner of makarov.com has an identical parallel site running at www.makarovpistol.com on a different server to get around interruptions at servers.  If www.makarov.com doesn't work at times, try www.makarovpistol.com.  Same stuff.

Noah
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
If you get up into the $300 price range, I would just opt to buy the P-95 Ruger 9mm. I have seen some of their stainless models going for that price and he could probably at least find a new one with blue finish for $300. These are terrific pistols that are every bit as reliable and tough as a Glock, at a much cheaper price. These also come with an extra magazine and plastic case. And there are still some hi-cap mags for them (15 round)that can be found. And plus it fires a more powerful round than the Makarov. Other reasons to get the Ruger include easier access to good defense ammo and holsters and such. The MAK is not a bad gun at all for the price...but I would much rather have the P-95 if it was my choice.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had a few Maks and I really want to like them, but I end up getting rid of them.  The reason is the blowback design just makes them no fun to shoot.  Painful right in the web of the hand.  Spend a little more and get a Ruger or CZ 9MM.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Not only is it (9x18)slightly more powerfull than the (.380 9x17) It's slightly bigger than any other nine mml(even the 9x19 lugar)  It's acually biger than the (9x21 largo)  All the other nine mil are acually .380 while the mak is something like .391 or something like that.

Hits really hard more weight per bullet!

Good bang for the buck,and some feg guns don't have those adjustable sights that are so cumbersome,for ccw.   Just like my 44 mag 3 inch barrel,I took the front and rear sights off,why would you need them ,just in the way.

All the real maks have those huge rear sites,get caught in your pants pocket hang up real quick.

9x18= good mouse gun power. Oh yea they have a hell of a lot of felt rcoil and the ejected shells fly out at a rate that could knock down a small white-tail,much like my 10mm auto ,a lot of the show goes on behind the shooter.

All in all I like them and the round,some third  world countrys still carry them as their side arm!

Bob

bob  
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Picked up this Exc+ All Matching EG Mak from a friend in trade.

My first Mak and I like it

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I also have a Ruger P-89 and a P-94 and agree that in the $300.00 price range it is a good choice. Get some 15 rd. mags and the ammo is $110.00 a case or so.  We carry these at work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Are there any wholesale co. that have the Makarov in stock? I've called several and they all are back ordered. The Makarov,I think, is the best sidearm for the money. I have a Russian stainless 380 I bought about 5 years ago and love it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Me and my friend went shopping today and he ended up getting a Ruger P97DC (.45) for $320 used, But it had never been fired and was still in the box :)

Josh223
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top