Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 6:47:37 AM EDT
I have finally gotten everything together, and I will be mailing my first CMP rifle purchase packet off later today. I will be sending it Next Day Air to ensure it gets there quick.

I assume when she comes that she will be packed in cosmoline. What is the best way to clean her up for her first range day?

Is there anything else I should know/do when I get my rifle?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Mimeral Spirits and LOTS of shop rags for the wood... and carberator cleaner for the metal.. BUT!!! after the metal is cleaned.. use wipe down the metal with oil!! as carb cleaner severly dries out the parkerization on the metal real bad!!!! now.. all this might be a moot point as you might get a nice rifle that won't be buried in cosmoline.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got a Dane SA and it wasn't too bad. Which model do you order?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I just received mine Monday.  It had zero cosmoline on it.  Except for the copper in the barrel, which I am still working on, it all cleaned up in about an hour.  Those cheapo Glock nylon .40/.45 cal brushes work great for cleaning the gas cylinder out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey all,

I bought a Garand this Spring from CMP, and I'm still amazed by the fact that it arrived two weeks from the day I mailed the paperwork off!  Amazing service...

Anyway, before deciding to buy my Garand, I came across this great web site that describes the author's experience ordering two Garands from CMP, one for him and one for his father.  

The main page is located here:

The M1 Garand Rifle

and this page shows the packaging that your rifle will arrive in:

Our Experiences With The CMP in 1999 and 2000

I'm still using my box to store my rifle until I get around to buying a better case.  I have nothing but positive things to say about my CMP experience - they even send you a trigger lock for the rifle (I think it's a requirement now to provide a locking mechanism when a gun is sold, but it's still nice of them).

I hope you enjoy your Garand!

Dave
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I sent my paperwork via next day air. They will get it tomorrow before noon.

Here's hoping they have a beautiful late production Garand sitting around and waiting to be shipped to a proud new owner.

I had to send it next day air as one more moment of anticipation than absolutely necessary would probably kill me.

While I am at it, anyone know where to buy a good condition bayonet for the Garand? I would prefer one that is like the ones actually used in WWII.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
John_Wayne,

Did you mention in your order that you wanted a late production rifle?  They do their best to accomodate requests - I typed up a short memo saying that I wanted a WWII production Garand, and they sent me one that was made in May of 1943.  I also called after sending in my paperwork just to remind them about my preference, and although the lady said she didn't have much of a say in it, she did pass on the request to the armory that ships them out.  I would give them a call at the end of the week after they've had a chance to review your order and remind them.  They're very nice and try to please customers.

Dave
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here's hoping they have a beautiful late production Garand sitting around and waiting to be shipped to a proud new owner.

I had to send it next day air as one more moment of anticipation than absolutely necessary would probably kill me.

While I am at it, anyone know where to buy a good condition bayonet for the Garand? I would prefer one that is like the ones actually used in WWII.

Next day air?  Oh boy.  This guy hasn't gotten his first Garand from the CMP yet and he's already got the bug BAAAAAADD.  Wait until it arrives, then it REALLY starts.

Strictly speaking, a WW2 bayonet isn't appropriate for a late Garand.   Obviously you'll have to get another rifle to match it.

Both cut and uncut 10.5" bayonets are correct for WW2, but try to get an uncut one since the cut ones are, well, uncool.  Fulton Armory sells uncut 10.5" bayonets for about $125, but I've seen them go for as little as $80 at shows for ones in decent condition.  Uncut 16"'ers?  Hold onto your wallet!  They can go for as much as $250-350.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top