Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/8/2018 11:30:03 PM
12/8/2018 2:15:31 AM
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 5/2/2004 6:53:12 AM EST
Hello all,

Long time lurker. I am considering buying a MG-3 parts de-milled (to German standards = drilled barrel, spot welds etc. but not cut) here in Germany. I was wondering which parts of the MG42 are considered the receiver and thus not importable and which parts I could strip and legally sell in the States. I know the receiver is not importable, but and am not clear on what is considered a receiver.

Is the barrel shroud, considered part of the receiver because it is connected to the receiver?

Any particular pieces that are particularly valuable? The feed cover and internals and other pieces are in great shape.

Thanks for any advice.


Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:05:38 AM EST

I just bought an MG42, paperwork hasn't even been sent in yet. When it comes in I'lbe making the conversion to an MG3 clone. I'm a little unclear on what you're trying to do, but if you want to export MG3 parts from Germany into the US, you'll need to go through all the import permits and requirements. Definitely not worthwhile unless you plan to do it in large quantity (and don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more MG3 kits here, but I don't know if its really feasible on a small scale.). The receiver is considered by US law to be the long sheetmetal channel (including the shroud) and has to be torch cut in 3 places to be properly demilled. Probably the most desirable parts are the bolts...especially the 950weight bolt. I haven't been able to find one yet. Other MG3 parts I haven't been able to find are the green plastic grip panels and buttstock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:57:02 AM EST

Thanks for the info. The kit I am looking at has both the green stock and the bolts with a wood paneled pistol grip. I simply want bring the parts, minus the receiver, back to the states. Is paperwork needed for just parts like the bolt, feed tray etc?


Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:19:36 AM EST
GC -

I could be wrong, but I think any parts coming into the country have to be on an import permit. I've heard even people who want to order parts & accessories like tripods from Marstar in Canada need to get an import permit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:01:39 AM EST
Should just be the main part of the receiver that you have to trash. Just cut it off and leave it in the trash before you return. The barrel shroud you sould be fine. If in doubt, contact the ATF directly.

Everything else you can import. Technically, if its not a barrel, bolt or receiver and the value is less then $100 you can import it without a permit. But, its always easier to just put one in anyways. If you are an American GI in Germany (I am one in Stuttgart), bring stuff back is not a problem.

The sad part is, the parts are not really worth that much here in the US. A deko MG3/42/52 starts at about 500 Euros ($600). Dont think the sum of the parts in the US would be that much, especially with a welded over barrel and bolt.

If you want to buy one as a wall hanger, do it. But dont expect to come out a head with the parts. You used to be able to get over with the high end stuff- Steyr Aug, Sig 55x, etc but the exchange rate is horrible right now.

If you need any other info, contact me offline.
Top Top