Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2006 9:43:35 AM EDT
I love all benelli shotguns but I will only have the $$$ for one.

Which one?

What are the advantages between the inertia system and the ARGO gas system the M4 uses?

I realize both guns are awesome but I am just curious as to why the M4 uses gas if the M2 is so reliable?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Because the military wanted a gas op system for who benelli was designing it for.
M4's are hard to get so if you find one in stock buy it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
buy the M2 ...better system....and cheaper  actually If you find a good M1 jump on it instead  to me they are just dead sexy
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The M4 is around, don't pay more than $1300 for it.  And make sure you get the #11707 model rather tha the Limited Edition model.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I love all benelli shotguns but I will only have the $$$ for one.

Which one?

What are the advantages between the inertia system and the ARGO gas system the M4 uses?

I realize both guns are awesome but I am just curious as to why the M4 uses gas if the M2 is so reliable?

The military wanted a semiautomatic shotgun that would reliably operate when .gov starts hanging a lot of tactical doodads off them.

The operating system of the M1/M2/M3, using recoil to cycle the action, can become compromised the heavier the weapon gets.  Weight from various accessories soaks up recoil, recoil that could be used to yank a spent shell out of the chamber and get another in there.

If you want to hang everything you can find from Mesa Tactical and Surefire on your shotgun, you may want to lean towards an M4.  The M4 does cost more than an M2, and it runs dirtier being gas operated, but it should be more reliable with a lot of stuff hanging off the shotgun.  The M2 is cheaper, and assuming you don't get carried away trying to put everything including the kitchen sink and the juicer on it, it'll probably run fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Rev, I thought you wanted an M3??

Inertia (M1,2,3)-
-Simple, Easy to clean, less parts to break, lightweight.
-Gun needs to move rearward under recoil so any extra weight or a tight grip and the gun may fail to cycle with lighter loads.
-Recoil more than gas guns.

Gas (M4)
-More complex, hard to clean, heavier than inertia guns.
-Gas operation means the gun will still cycle even if you bolt a tripod to it.
-Extremely low recoil

Now if someone said I had to decide between my M3 and M4??................. I would uppercut their scrotum, take them both, and run away.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
HI is correct they can be had all over for around $1,300. Cheapest LE price Ive seen is $1,219.  Lowest non LE price has been $1,300. These were both 11707 w/ collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the m4.

The gas system never lets you down, it is NOT hard to clean, it is very low recoiling, you can reliably run 7+1+1, it has a collapsible stock, all the new military accessories and rails will be for the m4, it won't care how many heavy things you bolt on, or if you fire one handed from the hip ...

It just keeps on firing every time you pull the trigger.  The best combat shotgun on the market you can buy.

Edit: and you definitely want the 11707.  It's what I have.  Updated gas system, different barrel profile, milled recoil tube to accept collapsible stock, just a bunch of slight tweaks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
F421, I do want an M3 as well.  And an M2, and an M4.  Damnit.

I figured it was a tactical accessory type deal.  I had heard that inertia guns were reliable and good for more rounds than you care to fire between cleanings?

For my modest needs, an M2 will probably suffice but then, where is the fun in that?

Thanks for the food for thought gentlemen.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
For the record, I once fired damn close to 500 rounds in an afternoon with my m4 without a single jam.  This is with an eotech, larue mount, full length 7 round tube, collapsbile stock and 3 point sling attached.  I shot everything from cheap #9 birdshot to 000 buck to rifled slugs.  I did not have a single failure or malfunction of any kind.

I am a big fan of the M2, but it is no m4.  The ARGO system was developed for a reason.  

If you can afford it, bump yourself up the first class and get a 11707.  You'll thank me when you do.

Oh, and look what Mesa is coming out with that will also work flawlessly with the ARGO system ...

You know you want one ...

:)
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually, I am not in the market to buy much in the way of accessories.

I don't need much.  Ghost rings, some spare shells on the stock and maybe, maybe a light.  Maybe.  I love how well benelli autos point and don't want to screw that up!

I have decided against the M3 due to a lack of screw in chokes.  So it is either M2 or M4.  This gun will kill clays as well as zombies.  With a pistol grip and ghost rings just to horrify the franchi crowd.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Bbls can be threaded for chokes by any decent gunsmith.

If you have ruled out the M3 my vote is for the M4.

What is the #11707 model and what's so special about it? How do I find out which model my M4 is?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What is the #11707 model and what's so special about it? How do I find out which model my M4 is?

Updated gas system, different barrel profile, milled recoil tube to accept collapsible stock, just a bunch of slight tweaks.

It will say on your box, if you have one, or else all you have to do is take your stock off and look at your recoil tube.  If it has a bunch of machined markings on it, you likely have a 11707.

If you have an American flag on your receiver, or your recoil tube is smooth, you do not have a 11707.  The barrel also have a little flange at the receiver end, but this is hard to tell unless you have both barrels to look at.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Still not sure. Seems like there are two different numbers. One for the bbl and one for the stock + reciever.

Here are pics-

It has one gas port for each piston.

Sorry for the hijack Rev.

I'm off to babysit recruits now
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Man, the M4 sure is neat!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top