Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 5:11:12 AM EDT
For all of you who thought we couldn't own firearms in the UK, here's a pic of my M4 c/w Reflex suppressorhttp://www.villagephotos.com/thumb.asp?id_=316300
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice, but it's a strait-pull bolt action, is it not? As I understand it you can get all kinds of military type rifles minus the gas system, can you get a single shot G-36?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Nice, but it's a strait-pull bolt action, is it not? As I understand it you can get all kinds of military type rifles minus the gas system, can you get a single shot G-36?

this picture hosting is driving me mad!!!
Now it's gone and resized itself, aargh.
It's true there's no gas system. No we can't get the G36 as HK won't build them for our market.
We can get others though such as FAL, AK, M17 Mini14, M1A
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, but they are al deactivated guns, right?? They won't fire at all?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

this picture hosting is driving me mad!!!
Now it's gone and resized itself, aargh.
It's true there's no gas system. No we can't get the G36 as HK won't build them for our market.
We can get others though such as FAL, AK, M17 Mini14, M1A

Is the supressor functional? How does British law deal with things of that nature?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#5]
If I wanted a straight-pull rifle I'd buy a Schmidt-Rubin, not an AR15...

How can you manage with breech-loading guns? I heard that Lords are going to ban also them... for children safety of course...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah, but they are al deactivated guns, right?? They won't fire at all?

Wrong, they're functional, except for the gas system, that is
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Is the supressor functional? How does British law deal with things of that nature?

The suppressor works really well. The best i've come across and it only adds 2 1/2" to oal.
they're easy to come by providing you have a good reason and the new European noise at work laws satisfy the authorities.
Mine's for pest and vermin (varmint) control
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If I wanted a straight-pull rifle I'd buy a Schmidt-Rubin, not an AR15...

If the only AR15 you could get was a straight pull....you'd get one

How can you manage with breech-loading guns? I heard that Lords are going to ban also them... for children safety of course...

Wrong, there's nothing else being banned as there's no reason to.
The only firearms under threat here at the moment are .50 cals. But that seems to be the case everywhere
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey UK, What are the shotgun laws like their. IIRC I think I read somewhere that you can still get SPASs and such, is that accurate?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#10]

What are the shotgun laws like their. IIRC I think I read somewhere that you can still get SPASs and such, is that accurate?

Yeah, you can still get a SPAS, but only with a fixed stock, not a folder.
There are 2 types of license. A shotgun with a max capacity of 3 rds can be held on a shotgun license. Anything with a bigger capacity needs a firearms license, same as a rifle even pumps or semi's. But you can't fit a rifled choke as that would make it a semi-auto or pump action rifle and that's illegal.
here's a pic of my 700PSS with M14 mag conversionhttp://www.printroom.com/album_thumb4/20020604174541250012.JPG
Sorry I can't post a bigger pic. I don't know what's going on
Mark
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#11]
If the only AR15 you could get was a straight pull....you'd get one

I would find a new country, or change the laws that would let me have a semi auto, you just have a Hi-cap bolt action more or less.

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Heck, in California you can't even own a straight-pull AR-15!
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I would find a new country, or change the laws that would let me have a semi auto, you just have a Hi-cap bolt action more or less.

Well, if I was in UKshooter's place, I think I'd take what I can get. It doesn't look that bad.

UK: Is there any sort of movement in your country trying to get it to where your weapon works like God intended?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would find a new country,
easier said than done! If that was the case then Britain would be empty and the US would have even more immigrants to deal with!!!

or change the laws that would let me have a semi auto,
Yeah, right, i'll do it tomorrow.

you just have a Hi-cap bolt action more or less.
Very true but it's a lot more fun than a bolt gun.

[qoute]Well, if I was in UKshooter's place, I think I'd take what I can get. It doesn't look that bad.

your right it's really not that bad, really.

UK: Is there any sort of movement in your country trying to get it to where your weapon works like God intended?

It would be political suicide for any government that tried to instigate a law change of that sort. But we live in hope......
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
UKShooter,

Thanks for the insight into foreign countries- I always wonder what the laws are elsewhere.  To be honest, the news media here has left most people thinking UK citizens have no guns at all, and all were turned in.  Glad this is not the case.

What are the laws regarding where you can fire it, and can you keep it at home, or does it have to be stored at a range?

I live in Mass, one of the tougher states in terms of gun laws, but we can still get semi auto AK's, AR's, etc... and big mags.

Renewal is an easy or tough process every 5 years depending what town you live in, as some towns the police chief is sympathetic to gun owners and renew no questions asked, in others you have to go so far as to get a letter from a doctor stating you are sane every 5 years when you renew- very humiliating.  When transporting a gun, it has to have a trigger lock on it, be unloaded, and ammo stored in a separate container.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#16]
UKshooter you have our condolences , was glad as hell I ws never stationed there ... I own WAY too many toys . You looks pretty nice , enjoy it while you can be for the British Parliment does something else stupid to you blokes !
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Good man. What are some of the main pests over there?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#18]
What Part of GB are you in? I plan on visiting N. England and S. Scotland as soon as a few things come through.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#19]
ED_P

What are the laws regarding where you can fire it, and can you keep it at home, or does it have to be stored at a range?
We can fire on military ranges, of which there are many, or private/commercial ones. Guns and ammo can be kept at home in a secure safe/cabinet.can also fire on any other land you have permission to shoot on, such as farms providing the land has been cleared by the authorities for that class of firearm. I have access to about 300 acres, but more if I want
Mark

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What Part of GB are you in? I plan on visiting N. England and S. Scotland as soon as a few things come through.

London, but this isn't a very big country.
Drop me a line when you're coming over and we'll see if we can get you some shooting
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

London, but this isn't a very big country.
Drop me a line when you're coming over and we'll see if we can get you some shooting
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Good man. What are some of the main pests over there?

Fox, rabbit, crow, etc. This is where the suppressor comes in useful, for not scaring others away.
Also, the farm I shoot on is next to a golf course and it's good for not drawing attention to yourself. Firearms are not widely accepted here and a good amount of the population still don't realise that you can own them.
And no, before you ask,...golfers aren't considered "legitimate targets"
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Fox, rabbit, crow, etc. This is where the suppressor comes in useful, for not scaring others away.
Also, the farm I shoot on is next to a golf course and it's good for not drawing attention to yourself. Firearms are not widely accepted here and a good amount of the population still don't realise that you can own them.
And no, before you ask,...golfers aren't considered "legitimate targets"

"Damnit mun kill all the golfers".

Golfers aren't quite considered vermin here but they are damn close.

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Wrong, there's nothing else being banned as there's no reason to.

Hell, there was no reason to ban what has been banned, so don't be surprised at what's next.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#25]
You can own Hi-cap magazines?

Is it still possible to own a handgun like a Glock or Sig?

Who manufactures Gas-systemless AR-15's? Diemco?

If the British are intent on banning non-fireing replicas because they can be converted into working firearms, then why would they allow an AR-15 gasless when somebody could drill holes and add a gas tube?

Are there 9mm AR-15 gasless carbines, and if so what would keep someone from turning one into a Blowback type action?

lib
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Manufacturer?  I think California might allow a bolt action AR-15 clone -- after all, it's not really an AR if it's a bolt gun...

Nice setup, btw.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Awww, c'mon -- tell us who makes it?

And, if you've got time, can you give us an overview of how you can legally own any magazine-fed rifle in a military caliber (bolt action or not) in *London*?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top