Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2002 4:46:46 PM EDT
In some movies and video games, the last casing in an M1 magazine comes out torn up, and it sounds like this: "BANG BANG BANG PING!"  Why is that?  Or is that even a casing?  If not, what is it?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be the en bloc clip being ejected after the eighth round is fired.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
it's the clip being ejected from the rifle.
the M1 is loaded by a 8 round clip (not a magazine) after the last round is fired the clip ejects and it makes a ping sound that tells the enemy you have run out of ammo.  the trick is when the shooting starts to get half your buddies to hold their fire so that when you run dry and half the rifles go ping the badguys will stick their heads up and half the rifle company can waste them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
ahhh the sound of music....(~)

blam
blam
blam
blam
blam
blam
PING
blam
blam

-reload-.....

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
it's the clip being ejected from the rifle.
the M1 is loaded by a 8 round clip (not a magazine) after the last round is fired the clip ejects and it makes a ping sound that tells the enemy you have run out of ammo.  the trick is when the shooting starts to get half your buddies to hold their fire so that when you run dry and half the rifles go ping the badguys will stick their heads up and half the rifle company can waste them.

A trick that GIs actually used was to have a couple of empty clips handy and after a couple of rounds, throw an empty clip on the ground, PLING, then when the enemy raises his little head, BANG.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
As an aside, John Garand HATED the en bloc clip.
The Army Ordnance people made him design his rifle that way, because they had been sold on the idea by another designer (Pederson, if I remember correctly). His earliest models all had detachable mags.  I met the man in the mid 1950's, and he was still pissed about it, for exactly the same reason mentioned above; the ping that told the opposition you were out of ammo. He also hated the forward handguard, which he felt interfered with cooling.  Again, Ordnance required it for bayonet fighting.  He loved the M14, as you might imagine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:24:06 AM EDT
[#7]
My late father fought in the South Pacific during WWII as an Americal Div. scout.  He loved the M1, and although he never spoke much about his experiences, he did mention to another vet once when I was present that he and the 2nd Scout would take turns holding fire while the other emptied the clip (ping) and ducked.  The one of them with one chambered and 7 in the clip would pick off targets as they exposed themselves(no, not that way!).

Noah
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ahhh the sound of music....(~)
blam
blam
blam
blam
blam
blam
PING
blam
blam
-reload-.....

i always thought it was:
pow pow pow pow pow pow pow pow chinnnng! clang!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#9]
ahh... the lovely PING sound... I have a .wav file of the last round/clip eject from an M1 as my error sound on my system here at work. Drives the guys around me NUTS.... lol

As for enemies being able to hear it... in SOME situations, yes, in general, NO.  Large firefights would overshadow the PING sound quite well.  If I wear my earmuffs with earplugs, I can't hear the ping at all.  Imagine NOT wearing earplugs, and being surrounded by GUNFIRE... a little 'ping' isn't going to be heard very far.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top