Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2016 11:03:29 PM EDT
Has anyone built one?

I was thinking it would be a cool project and it shouldn't be too hard to do. If you started with a virgin receiver, it might even be doable as a non-class 3 weapon.

Any ideas? I really have very little knowledge of the mechanics of a garand.

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Jake
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#1]
To not be an SBR, it would require a virgin garand receiver.  If you can find one of those, check back in, and we may be able to be of assistance.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Hellsing Ultimate fan?

An M1 with a mare's leg length stock and stubby barrel would be awesome IMO. I'm thinking an m14 done this way would be even more so!

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hellsing Ultimate fan?
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/hellsing/images/d/d0/Luke_Valentine's_Short_M1_Garand.gif

An M1 with a mare's leg length stock and stubby barrel would be awesome IMO. I'm thinking an m14 done this way would be even more so!

View Quote

That picture is almost exactly what I had in mind
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hellsing Ultimate fan?
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/hellsing/images/d/d0/Luke_Valentine's_Short_M1_Garand.gif

Yeah,that'd be a helluva lot of fun to shoot................
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hellsing Ultimate fan?

Uh duh.

Some of us like hand cannons.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Uh duh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hellsing Ultimate fan?

Uh duh.

That's more than a hand cannon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
IF you can find a virgin Garand receiver, it will be cast.  You will have to figure out the gas port size, find a way to shorten and get the op-rod bent correctly (very tough), machine the barrel to fit the contours of the parts, buy an adjustable gas port so you don't bend the op=rod and blow the heel of the receiver off, and I could keep going.  It could be done by someone with a lot of time, funds ,machining equipment, and a good knowledge of the platform.  With that said, it isn't feasible.  I can't begin to imagine the time/cost of such a stupid idea.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Ultimate enforcer pistol!
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Only way to do this without going the NFA Form 1 route is to take 2 receivers, demil them, and re-weld them back together to create a "virgin" receiver.  

Still a bad idea either way for all the reasons Chuck mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Tankers can be made to function just fine, though it takes some attention to detail.  I have built 3 from the ground up(new barrels and op rods), and one with a used barrel and op rod.  All function just fine. Though I've been told that using a BM59/62 gas cylinder actually makes the conversion a bit easier.  I have not yet tried that.
As long as the barrel doesn't get shorter than 16 1/2 inches, and the length no shorter than 26", you should have no issues with NFA.  Though I don't think I Have seen a 16 1/2" barrel.  Converting an op rod to shorter length isn't that hard, and some of the old conversions h ad some really short op rods that might work.
With a standard 18 1/2 barrel, 26" comes to the end of the receiver.  30" to the end of the pistol grip, so as I stated, there should be no NFA problems.

FWIW, Sarco recently had their Cittdal made Tanker barrels on sale for $100 in both 30-06 and 308Win, but it appears that they are now sold out.  Personally, I would go with the 308W in the shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't .30-06 AP allowed because no handgun is chambered for it.  7.62x39 and now 5.45 have been banned because of this, don't mess it up for everyone else.  Some things are best left alone.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Isn't .30-06 AP allowed because no handgun is chambered for it.  7.62x39 and now 5.45 have been banned because of this, don't mess it up for everyone else.  Some things are best left alone.
View Quote

TC pistols in 30-06?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Just get an enforcer pistol

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#15]
It's retarded.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

30-06 AP is specifically exempted by the law.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For now......

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top