Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 6:31:55 PM EDT
I ahve wanted an AR15 for a little while, but I have wanted an M1 Garand for a lot longer. I like the M1A also but the Garand seems special.
I have read references to the Danish M1 Garands available through the CMP program, and read the CMP website.
The pics I saw show the stocks needing a lot of work, but how are the actions, barrels, triggers, etc? Are they good to go after a good cleaning?
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I ahve wanted an AR15 for a little while, but I have wanted an M1 Garand for a lot longer. I like the M1A also but the Garand seems special.
I have read references to the Danish M1 Garands available through the CMP program, and read the CMP website.
The pics I saw show the stocks needing a lot of work, but how are the actions, barrels, triggers, etc? Are they good to go after a good cleaning?
Thanks,
Jim

you should be able to restore the wood yourself if need be.  The rifles are in working order when they leave but I would make sure to check head spacing and throat erosion before firing any of them. The barrel and especially the chamber would be my biggest concerns with one of these garands
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I was looking the CMP site over and think I would like the Danish with the VAR barrel.
The restoratoin would be, well maybe not fun, but I would enjoy it and get satisfaction from it.
I had looked at ads for M1's and M1A's over the years and most were out of my price range. This looks like a great opportunity. I also like the '03 Springfields. Heck, I just want one of everything.  :>)
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Pepperbelly;
i just purchased 4 M1's from the CMP. One each of the following, Springfield, H&R, IHC and Winchester.  All were service grade and shoot very well.  Each will last thousands of rounds longer.  The wood on each needed work but otherwise great rifles.  
After the first of the year I plan to purchsase several more.
Simper Fi
Bill
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks. I was looking the CMP site over and think I would like the Danish with the VAR barrel.
The restoratoin would be, well maybe not fun, but I would enjoy it and get satisfaction from it.
I had looked at ads for M1's and M1A's over the years and most were out of my price range. This looks like a great opportunity. I also like the '03 Springfields. Heck, I just want one of everything.  :>)
Thanks,
Jim

FYI my buddy has had one of these (danish VAR) on order for over a year now. He just got notification yesterday that it's being prepped. so it will probably be at least another month till he gets it.  The other friend of mine ordered a springfield M1 and had it in a couple of months (it does have a winchester bolt in it though)  I passed on getting one, cause I was short on $$ at the time.  I just shot the Sprinfield last weekend, and now I'm kicking myself for not ordering one!!
There is something special about them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I read a little more on the CMP site and it answered most of my questions.
What kind of competition qualifies for the program? A local club has sillouette matches and falling plate matches.
Also, does a membership in TSRA count as a qualifying org.?
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#6]
as for qualifing organizations.. you can e-mail the CMP with that question... they will get back to you on it... as well as the shooting requirements too.... i shot my first HP match back in latew '99 to get my first Garand and 3 1/2 yrs later and 7 more Garands  :-) i'm now the HP match director at my range..hehehee
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two Danish Garands.  Both with VAR barrels.  The barrels are essentially new and both shoot very well.  The stocks are rough but servicable.  I just replaced the worse of the two stocks with a Boyd's walnut stock to make one of them look a bit less used.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top