Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 2:24:47 PM EDT
I will be submitting the paperwork for a CMP purchase very soon.

Assuming I will be sending the rifle to DGR for a package deal on rework, are there any reasons to spend more on Field or Service grade rifles?

Also - are there any reasons, other than possible collector value, for paying another $200 for a WRA over a SA?

Thanks!
HB
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If your getting a new barrel with your package deal there is no reason to go with anything but a rack grade.  

the Winchesters cost alot more because they have been far and few between from the cmp for the last few years.  

Something like 440k Winchesters made and there were 4 million Springfields made.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Since FGs are graded to be just as good mechanically as SGs except for the barrel then you MIGHT get better internals with a FG as compared to a RG. Then again, you might not.

Since you are planning on a DGR rebuild then you should get a SA and leave the Winnys for collectors.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Since FGs are graded to be just as good mechanically as SGs except for the barrel then you MIGHT get better internals with a FG as compared to a RG. Then again, you might not.

Since you are planning on a DGR rebuild then you should get a SA and leave the Winnys for collectors.

Is the collector value lowered after any kind of a rebuild?

I've heard good things about DGR's work, though I am new to the world of Garands. Are there other places out there who are known as "The" place to have Garands reworked?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
i don't know dg.  i've only heard of his work.  from what i know, and what i've heard, he's first class.  

i just ordered a woodless rack, and have a cousin in tennessee, will make a trip personally to take it to doug hisself and get a basic .308 done right, mailed to me at the orfice, and i'm good to go collector-wise.

everybody needs a win .06 and a sa .308 for their safe.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is the collector value lowered after any kind of a rebuild?

Name me almost anything that is collectable that won't lose value if monkeyed with.  That said, it will be your weapon, do as you see fit.  It doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks.

Quoted:
I've heard good things about DGR's work... Are there other places out there who are known as "The" place to have Garands reworked?

Fulton Armory is supposed to be very good, and I've heard of some others whose names escape me at the moment, but I just sent mine off the DGR.  Should have it back in about a month.  Will post pictures then.

Tim
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... and have a cousin in tennessee, will make a trip personally to take it to doug hisself and get a basic .308 done right, mailed to me at the orfice...

Might want to double check that.  Doesn't matter that it has already been transferred to you one.  I don't believe that he (gunsmith) can send it anywhere other than to whom it came from AND the address it came from, unless it goes thru an FFL for the transfer.

Tim
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]
DGR:
DEAN'S GUN RESTORATION

Dean did a total rebuild on a P.O.S. SA I picked up. The bore was rusted, the stock was cracked, and the finish was about 60% but I bought it for a song. He rebarreled to .308 reparkerized and put on Wenig bastogne walnut furniture. The rifle is gorgeous, shoots like a dream and I couldn't be happier with DGR.
My advice:
Call Dean, see what he suggests. He's good people and won't mislead you. My guess would be to go with a Rack Grade. Especially if you plan on going to .308. If you decide to stay 30.06, you can't go wrong with the service grade... you won't  even need to send it to DGR. As gorgeous as those Wenig walnut stocks are, there's just somthing wrong with pretty new wood on a Garand. My first service grade finally showed up last month...had a Muzzle Erosion of  just under two and the Throat Erosion around 2.5. The stock was very acceptable and the metal finish was around 85%.  The rifle has an SA reciever, bbl, and operating rod with an H&R bolt and trigger assembly.
It is luck of the draw, but I've got NO complaints after recieving 8 rifles of various grades from CMP so far.
I wouldnt worry about "collector value" unless you buy yourself correct or collector grades. All the service grade rifles down to the rack grades will be "mixmasters" but thats ok, they still shoot, and shoot well.
MHO

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
DGR:
DEAN'S GUN RESTORATION

Lapster,
I have been in contact with Dean at DGR, and you are correct - he recommends a Rack grade for rebuilds.

You are correct again in that he's good to deal with  
He will be getting at least one Garand from me for a package deal, and another person at work is seriously considering doing the same.

What are the advantages of rebarreling to .308 over staying with 30-06?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What are the advantages of rebarreling to .308 over staying with 30-06?

Only one I can think of is the availability of cheaper surplus ammo.

Personally, I would stick with the '06 simply for the reason that that is the original caliber.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#10]
What is included in a rework and what is the average cost? What should one expect to spend on a rack grade CMP and rework,and how does this stack up against just buying a Springfield Armory M1A?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been told that the 308 is "slightly" more accurate then the '06.  Like I could tell!   IMHO, the switch would be worth it if:
1) You had a lot of 308 laying around
2) The slight reduction in recoil was important to you
3) you need to pick up that extra point or two on the 600 yard targets
For me, and I have shot other peoples in both, mine will be '06.  It is historically and mechanically more accurate, and frankly, I just love the sight of those sleek '06 rounds as you thumb the clip in!  Somethings in life just make you smile, for me that's one of them!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What is included in a rework and what is the average cost? What should one expect to spend on a rack grade CMP and rework,and how does this stack up against just buying a Springfield Armory M1A?

Try this site for informatiuon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#13]
HBruns,
I had to rebarrel the rifle anyway, the bore was badly pitted, probably from corrosive ammo and not being cleaned properly. Bbl cost was pretty close between .308 and 06. I opted for the Barnett/Douglas medium weight bbl. The rifle shoots better than I do. There are various advantages, ammo costs and availablity being the biggest, some people think there is less recoil...I have trouble with that statement.  I have stocked up on CMP Greek ammo, but I've stocked up even more on 7.62 Nato, as I've got  2 M14s I LOVE to shoot and they get quite hungry.
One disadvantage to .308 is the fact it does not meet the requirements for JCG matches.  I wonder if thats because the .308 is more accurate? I don't know the answer to that...it does make me wonder.
Bottom line, I have other Garands that are orginal, I just wanted one in .308.
Whatever you end up with, your gonna love your new rifle. There is somthing about the Garand...
Just makes you want to
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try this site for informatiuon.

I did, thanks.It seems to me that a CMP Garand,with rework is as much or more than a new M1A from Springfield Armory.I don't know what the advantages of each would be,are there some matches that only allow the Garands for example?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I did, thanks.It seems to me that a CMP Garand,with rework is as much or more than a new M1A from Springfield Armory.I don't know what the advantages of each would be,are there some matches that only allow the Garands for example?

There are John C. Garand matches where the M1A is not allowed. These JCG matches were originally set up for folks with your average battle rattle rifle, not match-prepped rifles. Garands are OK to shoot in these matches, though the barrel has to be a military contour, and the action cannot be bedded. Check the rules for the Garand matches - within ten years they have become the largest match at Perry.

You can shoot High-Power matches with a Garand, though it is "common knowledge" that the 30-06 and the Garand platform are not competitive against the 308, the M1A and other more modern service rifles.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#16]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
... and have a cousin in tennessee, will make a trip personally to take it to doug hisself and get a basic .308 done right, mailed to me at the orfice...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might want to double check that. Doesn't matter that it has already been transferred to you one. I don't believe that he (gunsmith) can send it anywhere other than to whom it came from AND the address it came from, unless it goes thru an FFL for the transfer.

Tim

***sure man, i was just trying to combine a legitimate family visit with a firearm-associated "secret mission".  while i'm visiting cousin scott, his wife and kids, and eating steaks off of his credit card, i can sneak in a trip to the upper part of the state and drop the rifle and money off personally, they can and will ship to my office in texas, heck, the cmp does it all the time...

nah, i can see how my inept stumble through the english language mislead you... sorry about that...

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I have made some decisions about what I'll do:

Since I will probably never be a Garand collector, I'll get a low-dollar Rack Grade Garand and have it worked on. These Rack Grade rifles are not original; they have been reworked at least once already and have been used & abused in the field. They have little or no collector value and probably never will. They are already a mish-mash of bolts, op-rods, trigger groups, barrels, and stocks.

I have no qualms about having one of these mix-master specials reworked into a good shooting and good looking rifle (in that order). While the Garand is a good looking design, it is a battle rifle and is meant to be shot. I do not mind spending $$ to make a rifle more accurate or more reliable. Your basic Rack Gade rifle is not even guaranteed to be safe to shoot.

If I ever do get involved with collecting Garands, then keeping them in their original state would be important.

On a side note....
I have done some reading and discovered that there are people out there putting together fake collectable Garands and selling them for a bunch of money. Is this fraud prosecutable?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you ship a firearm to a manufacturer or gunsmith for repair or modification no "transfer" takes place, you still own the firearm.  Consequently the firearm can be returned directly to you without FFL intervention.  FFL invervention is only required to transfer ownership of a firearm across state lines.

-- Chuck

I understand that, but the way it was worded made it sound like he was going to ship it to his cousin and have him take it to DGR and then have it returned directly to him at a different location.

That is a NO-NO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top